Dog vasectomy

urinary incontinence is frequent during castrations, this is what is often reported to me, I do not know if it also affects females.
This is a complication that is seen mostly in females, and much less common in males. It is quite rare in males.

I prefer the vasectomy than the castration which for me is useless and abject.
If you intend on your dog having an active sex life, castrating him is not in line with that. This leaves you with option 1: leaving him the way he is, or option 2: vasectomy.
The case for vasectomy is purely contraceptive. The dog (or person) will be able to have sex without getting female pregnant. If you're gonna get your dog to "keep it in his pants", won't be much different then leaving him intact. If you're gonna let him out roaming, he's at much higher risk of life events like dog fights, porcupines, cars, angry neighbors, discouraged owners, etc then the risk of cancer. The benefits of castrating him might arguably outweigh the risks. If they understood that you wanted the dog to still have sex with you (and they were cool with it), but you're concerned he'll accidentally get a dog pregnant, they obviously wouldn't tell you to chop his nads off.

This is a complication that is seen mostly in females, and much less common in males. It is quite rare in males.

If you intend on your dog having an active sex life, castrating him is not in line with that. This leaves you with option 1: leaving him the way he is, or option 2: vasectomy.
The case for vasectomy is purely contraceptive. The dog (or person) will be able to have sex without getting female pregnant. If you're gonna get your dog to "keep it in his pants", won't be much different then leaving him intact. If you're gonna let him out roaming, he's at much higher risk of life events like dog fights, porcupines, cars, angry neighbors, discouraged owners, etc then the risk of cancer. The benefits of castrating him might arguably outweigh the risks. If they understood that you wanted the dog to still have sex with you (and they were cool with it), but you're concerned he'll accidentally get a dog pregnant, they obviously wouldn't tell you to chop his nads off.
The risk of running away is not especially that it is whole, it is a hunting dog from its two crosses AST X Jack Russel, moreover and I have them the experience when he was "novice" to know what to do with the bitch of someone around me, his bitch to notice that he was a beginner, my dog is put on his rump and not knowing what to do, the bitch preferred to go see another male dog neighborhood, so the myth of the male runaway to go and see my female is a mistake since the female herself has run away. The fact of not castrating him awakens from an old bad situation, early castration and that he died of it. Also IF he would mate with an unwanted pregnancy bitch, I have family insurance that covers this kind of situation such as damage ect. during his escape, and the fact of being castrated does not prevent possible baggage with other males, that is also a false rumor ... as well as the possible cancer and tumor which are just as possible when a dog is castrated, because castration does not resolve everything except on the contrary and I have had the sad experiences of which I will not repeat it again, unless it is absolute medical order.

This doesn't answer the main question of "why can't i get a vasectomy for the family dog" but when it comes to common practices in the states, one simple (and partial) explanation for why neutering is the most common form of canine population control is that it is really obvious at a quick glance if a dog has been neutered or not due to the presence/lack of balls between their legs. Now i know that is only really useful when talking about the stray/shelter populations, however it is an easy way for animal workers to very quickly be very sure about the situation, especially given the many laws that say that all strays are to be sterilized in many locations. Unfortunately this means that if a loose (vasectomied) pet gets declared a stray, they will likely not check if he is sterile but will just assume he isn't and snip away his jewels.
It sucks in a bad way, but it is also unlikely to change anytime soon.

I've posted some info on the Parsemus Foundation here - they have info on alternative canine birth control methods and a directory of vets who do them.

Back