Canine birth control options?

Deene

Tourist
For those who have male and female dogs living together, how do you keep your girls from getting pregnant?

my late boy wasn't really interested in my girl when she was in heat, he would just lick her and come to me for relief. my guess for why he used to do that was the condition his hips were in. he was approx. ten years old when i got him and his hips were pretty much busted and never really healed. i've never seen him even attempt to mount her, there was a time when i even wanted him to so he gets offspring. i'm also pretty sure he got used to getting his relief laying down on his side or back.

my current boy is very much interested in fucking her brains out, he's in his prime. when i'm not home i keep them separate. when i am home i keep his tanks empty.
it's pretty simple and works fine so far (she did end up pregnant once, not from my boy tho. dumbass me didn't take into account random roamers in my area and a 60+ kg block of a dog being scared of little black weiner-something mix climbing the fence). simple if you're okay with giving four to five blowjobs a day for up to two weeks straight anyway. might sound super fun, but there are days when it feels like i guzzled more cum than other fluids... and "your breath smells weird"s, whatever that means.

my late boy wasn't really interested in my girl when she was in heat, he would just lick her and come to me for relief. my guess for why he used to do that was the condition his hips were in. he was approx. ten years old when i got him and his hips were pretty much busted and never really healed. i've never seen him even attempt to mount her, there was a time when i even wanted him to so he gets offspring. i'm also pretty sure he got used to getting his relief laying down on his side or back.

my current boy is very much interested in fucking her brains out, he's in his prime. when i'm not home i keep them separate. when i am home i keep his tanks empty.
it's pretty simple and works fine so far (she did end up pregnant once, not from my boy tho. dumbass me didn't take into account random roamers in my area and a 60+ kg block of a dog being scared of little black weiner-something mix climbing the fence). simple if you're okay with giving four to five blowjobs a day for up to two weeks straight anyway. might sound super fun, but there are days when it feels like i guzzled more cum than other fluids... and "your breath smells weird"s, whatever that means.
Okay that sounds pretty great. Wish Bob Barker had given that advice. Thanks

We had an ovarian spay hysterectomy done. Female dane can still comes into heat, male can mate her all he wants and doesn't get pregnant

Love this reply

For those who have male and female dogs living together, how do you keep your girls from getting pregnant?
Essentially, there are three reliable methods for canine birth control that don't involve destroying all (or close enough that there's really no point bothering to talk about the rare exceptions) sexual interest: Abstinence (AKA "ABSOLUTELY NO FUCKING - PERIOD!", and the 24/7/365 supervision that MUST happen to enforce it if it's to be effective), vasectomy for a dog, and either tubal ligation or an ovary-sparing hysterectomy for a bitch.

Everything - and I do mean *EVERYTHING* - other than your basic "chop off/carve out their reproductive organs completely" (and by so doing, destroy any urge towards sex in damn near all victims of such treatment) is a litter that just hasn't happened yet. Given a chance, a bitch WILL get herself bred if given even a slight chance to do so. It's called a "biological imprerative", and can't be trained away. If she's in heat, sooner or later, she *WILL* allow any dog available to put the dick to her, and there went your ball-game.

ovary-sparing hysterectomy is redundant. A hysterectomy removes the uterus, and an ovario-hysterectomy removes the whole shootin' match (commonly referred to as a "spay")

What about pills?

I don't think a (ovary-sparing) hysterectomy is a good idea, they could still stitch her below the cervix and the vagina will become pretty shallow.

Last edited:
Essentially, there are three reliable methods for canine birth control that don't involve destroying all (or close enough that there's really no point bothering to talk about the rare exceptions) sexual interest: Abstinence (AKA "ABSOLUTELY NO FUCKING - PERIOD!", and the 24/7/365 supervision that MUST happen to enforce it if it's to be effective), vasectomy for a dog, and either tubal ligation or an ovary-sparing hysterectomy for a bitch.

Everything - and I do mean *EVERYTHING* - other than your basic "chop off/carve out their reproductive organs completely" (and by so doing, destroy any urge towards sex in damn near all victims of such treatment) is a litter that just hasn't happened yet. Given a chance, a bitch WILL get herself bred if given even a slight chance to do so. It's called a "biological imprerative", and can't be trained away. If she's in heat, sooner or later, she *WILL* allow any dog available to put the dick to her, and there went your ball-game.
You left out chemical sterilization in that list. The pill for a dog is probably not really going to happen. But I’m sure they do exist in some forums or another.

The pills are hell on their hormonal system. It basically forces them to go into heat again. Usually any good vet will leave room for mating with a hysterectomy since that really is the point. Otherwise you are creating a dangerous situation.

Reactions: Aka
The pills are hell on their hormonal system. It basically forces them to go into heat again. Usually any good vet will leave room for mating with a hysterectomy since that really is the point. Otherwise you are creating a dangerous situation.
Any vet in the US is taught to gut over any other opinions as it is. I’m all for alternative methods. They end up being less invasive and quicker. But that’s not what a majority wants. Two pricks of a needle and it’s done.

Any vet in the US is taught to gut over any other opinions as it is. I’m all for alternative methods. They end up being less invasive and quicker. But that’s not what a majority wants. Two pricks of a needle and it’s done.

You referring to the (still pretty rare) so-called "Zeutering" process, where they shoot the testicles and/or vasa full of Zinc Chloride to cause chemical burns that turn into massive scarring that "blocks up the plumbing", resulting in basically the same functional concept as a vasectomy?

Seems like a workable concept, and what I've seen indicates it definitely results in male sterility without affecting hormones/sex drive, but does nothing at all for keeping a bitch from catching pregnant if the supervision lapses and she finds a stud to cover her. (unless it just happens to be
a "Zeutered" stud that does the deed, of course - which, due to the comparative rarity of its use so far, isn't likely to be the case)

I hadn't considered a vasectomy. Didn't know vets did that.

I hadn't considered a vasectomy. Didn't know vets did that.
Few and far between. Most are not trained to perform such as it’s just considered better to pluck them out and fix all the problems owners will have with intact dogs

I wasn't nitpicking. It's just that the terminology is already confusing enough and the details are important if you want to talk to a vet about the options.
And as the smiley was INTENDED to indicate, I was just jerking your chain. Trust me - and if you don't trust me, just ask around to get the "full report", from both freinds and foes: I ain't shy about giving a totally serious "Fuck off, asshole!" grade response when I think it's warranted. No such thing WAS waranted, so you got a gentle poke meant to be taken with a chuckle. So chuckle already! :)

Few and far between. Most are not trained to perform such as it’s just considered better to pluck them out and fix all the problems owners will have with intact dogs
And even better to bill for treating the unfixable problems that come from lopping off parts that are responsible for producing a shitload of juices that aren't well-enough understood to be adding or subtracting them as a matter of routine. As usual, follow the money if you want to get to the full story.

And even better to bill for treating the unfixable problems that come from lopping off parts that are responsible for producing a shitload of juices that aren't well-enough understood to be adding or subtracting them as a matter of routine. As usual, follow the money if you want to get to the full story.
At the time I got lucky to fine a vet that didn’t push for it. The one I had new how to go about the alternative route but the facility he worked for didn’t allow for it. Slit and snip was the go too.
Big letters on my paperwork when I’d go, DO NOT ask about castration. 😂

The Parsemus Foundation has good resources on this issue, including a directory or vets who do sterilizations that do not affect hormone production. Below are addresses of their home page and the directory, which has about 100 entries - mostly U.S, about 10 in Canada, and a few elsewhere. I looked at the ones for Oregon (where I live) - there are 6, of whom 3 are on the faculty of Oregon State University. So the idea is not just a fringe thing.

And as the smiley was INTENDED to indicate, I was just jerking your chain. Trust me - and if you don't trust me, just ask around to get the "full report", from both freinds and foes: I ain't shy about giving a totally serious "Fuck off, asshole!" grade response when I think it's warranted. No such thing WAS waranted, so you got a gentle poke meant to be taken with a chuckle. So chuckle already! :)
And that was why I liked the post :)

The Parsemus Foundation has good resources on this issue, including a directory or vets who do sterilizations that do not affect hormone production. Below are addresses of their home page and the directory, which has about 100 entries - mostly U.S, about 10 in Canada, and a few elsewhere. I looked at the ones for Oregon (where I live) - there are 6, of whom 3 are on the faculty of Oregon State University. So the idea is not just a fringe thing.

OMG thank you so much. One of the four listed clinics in all of Texas is about 2 blocks from me. Holy shit.

Back