Do cats feel pleasure?

Ive seen many posts talking about how both male and female canines and equines can feel pleasure but never any felines. Are they able to have an orgasm or feel good during procreation?

Ive seen many posts talking about how both male and female canines and equines can feel pleasure but never any felines. Are they able to have an orgasm or feel good during procreation?
Seeing as most felines are induced ovulators I'd say yes in a fashion, but with the barbed penises of most males and the neck biting it may be more pain than pleasure.

You do realize that the only reason pleasure is included in sex is because it's evolution's means of tricking mindless animals into engaging in the procreative act which is in all other ways an incredibly messy ugly painful and horrible process?

Of course they feel please, otherwise there's no reason in hell they'd engage in it.

Seeing as most felines are induced ovulators I'd say yes in a fashion, but with the barbed penises of most males and the neck biting it may be more pain than pleasure.
Cats are the Klingons of the animal kingdom, they like it rough... ;D

Well, most animals enjoy sex. People usually think they don't, because people like feeling unique and having animals being sentient and having feelings like pleasure makes some people uncomfortable, since they might have to think about how they treat animals.

That said, most animals enjoy sex to a certain degree. An orgasm might feel different from species to species and gender to gender, but it's quite more than just feeling a relief after having pressure for so long.

There was actually an experiment concerning rats: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19520080/
(maybe even several) https://hellogiggles.com/love-sex/female-rats-creative-approach-getting-sex-want/
Those experiments showcase that even rats can derive pleasure from sexual stimuli and might want more of that. Many species have been witnessed engaging in homosexual acts or masturbating sometimes. While animals lack the culture humans have invented, with both, moralist restriction towards sex, as well as having a guilty pleasure to circumvent them, animals still seem to enjoy sexual activities apart from the mere act of procreation. But to them the sexual act might feel differently than to humans. Sexual activity is part of our own cultural identity and personal behavioral pattern. We might treat the opportunity to have sex with similar delight than the act itself. We have anticipation, we have kinks, we have desires. Animals most certainly lack those. For them sex is a bit more mechanical of an act, something that comes natural like urination or defecation. It's something that sometimes needs to be done. That doesn't mean however that they can't experience pleasure by doing it.

When it comes to cats specifically, I can't find a proper, scientific answer online. Most online places I found are just full of conjecture or outright denial that animals can feel any kind of sexual pleasure at all. None of them seems to be a behavioral scientist or biologist though, none of those people does know it for sure. But we know, that tomcats, especially when they still got their balls, like to masturbate and rub their penis with their paws, we know from lions and tigers, that they can bond with their brothers by humping them. Sexuality is more than a mere process of procreation, both for humans as well as for animals.

So it's safe to assume that regular cats also derive some sort of pleasure through sex. But as Mare Lover 1975 pointed out, the barbed penis induced ovulation and it is a far spread theory, that neckbiting occurs to distract the female from the pain the mating causes. On the other hand, if mating was entirely unpleasurable, animals might not waste any energy on it and go extinct. They have to have some benefit for doing so. Deriving pleasure through sex is a surefire way to ensure procreation happens. So most higher species not only enjoy sex, but also know ways to get the gratification without having to mate.

Of course, this doesn't apply to all species, but I'm certain you can count cats to the species, that get at least some form of pleasure out of it, no matter how brutal it sounds and looks like.

There are animals, that have it way worse than cats: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_coercion_among_animals

Reactions: pes
I can say yes. my cat was rubbing on me one day while I was working and I rubbed her vaginal area. She actually got wet and started doing this weird jaw twitch thing and visibly came. She wouldn't leave me the hell alone after that.

Back