Deep quotes you heard or made up?

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."” -- I. Asimov

Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is? Insanity is doing the exact... same fucking thing... over and over again expecting... shit to change... That. Is. Crazy. The first time somebody told me that, I dunno, I thought they were bullshitting me, so, I shot him. The thing is... He was right. And then I started seeing, everywhere I looked, everywhere I looked all these fucking pricks, everywhere I looked, doing the exact same fucking thing... over and over and over and over again thinking 'this time is gonna be different' no, no, no please... This time is gonna be different,-Far cry 3 Vaas

"In a healthy society, the superior person is recognized for what he or she is, and lesser ones are happy to be guided, because they realize that not only they but generations to come will benefit. The leader is not interested in power or glory for their own sake. At most, they are means to an end, the end to which he gives his life, the organic evolution of the society toward its destiny, the full flowering of its soul. But we are replacing living [community] with mechanical [society]. The cyborg civilization! It goes as crazy as a cyborg individual. The leading classes also lose their sense of responsibility. Those members who do not become openly corrupt turn into reckless megalomaniacs."

"As a culture grows decadent it becomes intrigued by art, by trinkets, by eccentricity. And the Humans had art and trinkets and eccentricity to spare. But is was none of those traits that would cause so much death and pain. They have an expression, Pride goeth before a fall. And their pride was their undoing."

"As a culture grows decadent it becomes intrigued by art, by trinkets, by eccentricity. And the Humans had art and trinkets and eccentricity to spare. But is was none of those traits that would cause so much death and pain. They have an expression, Pride goeth before a fall. And their pride was their undoing."
Nice contributions I got mine here it goes.

"The conflicts of today plants the seeds of tomorrow in the future bears the fruits of the reward given"

“Ah, yes, the "unalienable rights." Each year someone quotes that magnificent poetry. Life? What "right" to life has a man who is drowning in the Pacific? The ocean will not hearken to his cries. What "right" to life has a man who must die if he is to save his children? If he chooses to save his own life, does he do so as a matter of "right"? If two men are starving and cannibalism is the only alternative to death, which man's right is "unalienable"? And is it "right"? As to liberty, the heroes who signed the great document pledged themselves to buy liberty with their lives. Liberty is never unalienable; it must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes. Of all the so-called natural human rights that have ever been invented, liberty is least likely to be cheap and is never free of cost. The third "right"? - the "pursuit of happiness"? It is indeed unalienable but it is not a right; it is simply a universal condition which tyrants cannot take away nor patriots restore. Cast me into a dungeon, burn me at the stake, crown me king of kings, I can "pursue happiness" as long as my brain lives - but neither gods nor saints, wise men nor subtle drugs, can insure that I will catch it.”

"Anything that happens, happens.

Anything that in happening causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.

Anything that in happening causes itself to happen again, happens again.

Not necessarily in chronological order."

"Music is auditory cheesecake, delicious for its artery-clogging overabundance of fat and sugar (melody and rhythm), but hardly essential to life. Music could vanish from our species and the rest of our lifestyle would be virtually unchanged."

“Ah, yes, the "unalienable rights." Each year someone quotes that magnificent poetry. Life? What "right" to life has a man who is drowning in the Pacific? The ocean will not hearken to his cries. What "right" to life has a man who must die if he is to save his children? If he chooses to save his own life, does he do so as a matter of "right"? If two men are starving and cannibalism is the only alternative to death, which man's right is "unalienable"? And is it "right"? As to liberty, the heroes who signed the great document pledged themselves to buy liberty with their lives. Liberty is never unalienable; it must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes. Of all the so-called natural human rights that have ever been invented, liberty is least likely to be cheap and is never free of cost. The third "right"? - the "pursuit of happiness"? It is indeed unalienable but it is not a right; it is simply a universal condition which tyrants cannot take away nor patriots restore. Cast me into a dungeon, burn me at the stake, crown me king of kings, I can "pursue happiness" as long as my brain lives - but neither gods nor saints, wise men nor subtle drugs, can insure that I will catch it.”
Starship Troopers is incredibly underrated.

Starship Troopers is incredibly underrated.
The movie is crap. The book, eh it's little more than 1984 IN SPACE, and while parts of the society he exposits make sense on the surface there are serious fundamental flaws.

The movie is crap.
Lighten up, Francis... The movie was good ol' rollicking space-action fun with little or no point other than the entertainment value. It shared very little beyond the title, the concept of "space marines", and the "service guarantees citizenship" schtick with the book it was named for, but for what it actually was, it wasn't a half-bad way to kill some time.

The book.... Well, I'm thinkng that 1984 isn't even kinda like semi-sorta-almost close. Political? To varying degrees, yes. Dystopian? Nah, not so much. I noticed no "big brother" analog, and there's a distinct lack of "newthink", or the ubiquitous rewriting of history as needed to push forward the current political narrative, and similar. More political commentary than politics, really. Not everybody's cuppa, but... <shrug> Worth a read.

As a species, we have proven we have the intelligence to exterminate ourselves.
Now we need to prove we have the intelligence to prevent our extermination.

"Somewhere out there in the vast nothingness of space... Somewhere far away in space and time... Staring upwards at the gleaming stars in the obsidian sky... We're marooned on a small island... In an endless sea... Confined to a tiny spit of sand.... Unable to escape. But tonight... On this small planet... On Earth... We're going to rock civilization"

Religion arose as an effort to explicate the inexplicable, control the uncontrollable, make bearable the unbearable. Belief in a higher power became the most powerful innovation in late human evolution. Tribes with religion had an advantage over those without. They had direction and purpose, motivation and a mission. The survival value of religion was so spectacular that the thirst for belief became embedded in the human genome. What religion tried, science has finally achieved. You now have a way to explain the inexplicable, control the uncontrollable. You no longer need “revealed” religion. The human race has finally grown up. Religion is as essential to human survival as food and water. If you try to replace religion with science, you will fail. You will, instead, offer science as religion. For I say to you, science is religion. The one, true religion. Instead of offering a book of truth, science offers a method of truth. Science is a search for truth, not the revelation of truth. It is a means, not a dogma. It is a journey, not a destination.

"Music is auditory cheesecake, delicious for its artery-clogging overabundance of fat and sugar (melody and rhythm), but hardly essential to life. Music could vanish from our species and the rest of our lifestyle would be virtually unchanged."
Ah, but without a song or a dance what are we?
I'll get along, as long as a song, is strong in my soul!

Those that dance, are thought crazy by those that can't hear the music! :gsd_happysmile:

Last edited:
Those that dance, are thought crazy by those that can't hear the music! :gsd_happysmile:
"German philosopher Fredrick Nietzsche said 'We should consider every day lost in which we have not danced at least once.'. By which reconing I have lost 13941 days out of a possible 13948."

"German philosopher Fredrick Nietzsche said 'We should consider every day lost in which we have not danced at least once.'. By which reconing I have lost 13941 days out of a possible 13948."
You have danced 7 times, that is more than some people :gsd_happysmile:

I shall assume that 13948 is the total days you have currently lived, not all the days that are allotted to you. To know the day and hour of your own death could either be a freeing thing, or send you into a deep dark depression as the bell tower approacheth on the horizon, standing waiting to ring out the toll for the.

You have danced 7 times, that is more than some people :gsd_happysmile:

I shall assume that 13948 is the total days you have currently lived, not all the days that are allotted to you. To know the day and hour of your own death could either be a freeing thing, or send you into a deep dark depression as the bell tower approacheth on the horizon, standing waiting to ring out the toll for the.
Not me. That's a quote from the host of a 2013ish British panel show all about quotes, Was it Something I Said.

one of my favorite quotes:
"Anything that happens, Happens.

Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen,
causes something else to happen.

Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again,
happens again.

It doesn't necessarily do it in chronological order, though."

Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy book 5)

Your number system has no independent existence in the real world. It is nothing more than a sophisticated metaphor. Pick a number at random on the real number line: with probability one you have picked a number that has no name, has no definition, and cannot be computed or written down, even if the whole universe were put to the task. This problem extends to allegedly definable numbers such as pi or the square root of two. With a computer the size of the universe running an infinite amount of time, you could not calculate either number exactly. Tell me: How then can such numbers be said to exist? How can the circle or the square, from which these two numbers derive, exist? How can dimensional space exist, then, if it cannot be measured? You are like a monkey who, with heroic mental effort, has figured out how to count to three. You find four pebbles and think you have discovered infinity.

Natural selection has given you the illusion that you understand fundamental reality. But you do not. How could you? Do beetles understand fundamental reality? Do chimpanzees? You are an animal like them. You evolved like them, you reproduce like them, you have the same basic neural structures. You differ from the chimpanzee by a mere two hundred genes. How could that minuscule difference enable you to comprehend the universe when the chimpanzee cannot even comprehend a grain of sand?

Back