Autism

Well I’m happy you responded again and I’m always glad to meet fellow Texan’s too!

Interesting way your mind works there too and thanks again for sharing! I’d like this thread to be a place where we could understand all our zoo buddies. And I didn’t find any topic based on autism so here we are. :)

I just found out a few months ago I have High-Functioning Autism (Aspergers').
I seem to exhibit many of the qualities that are considered signs of the condition, and I never would have found out unless someone had notified me that my behavior is characteristic of those with Aspergers'. I would never have found out myself because I rarely ever study human psychology or sociology in any form.
However, I have noticed many symptoms that people ascribe to Autism also seem to also be symptoms of being zoo, so sometimes it is hard to tell for certain which of the two caused me to be the way I am. :D

I have a little brother who has autism. I do not know enough about it to know exactly what type, but he is very smart. We were super shocked when he said his first words at an extremely young age, and then his vocabulary expanded very fast after that. He started reading at three years old. He’s still young ( not going to give his exact age ) and he’s already picking up math. Addition and subtraction are easy for him, and he can do multiplication and division as long as the numbers aren’t too big. He can be very particular about the way he wants to do things, and some sensory things such as sounds and smells really bother him.

I have a little brother who has autism. I do not know enough about it to know exactly what type, but he is very smart. We were super shocked when he said his first words at an extremely young age, and then his vocabulary expanded very fast after that. He started reading at three years old. He’s still young ( not going to give his exact age ) and he’s already picking up math. Addition and subtraction are easy for him, and he can do multiplication and division as long as the numbers aren’t too big. He can be very particular about the way he wants to do things, and some sensory things such as sounds and smells really bother him.
Please support and encourage his intelligence and never assume any subject would be beyond him. I was studying atomic physics, enjoying reading texts that were considered graduate college level at age 10. I never thought of myself as a genius, the subjects that I was interested in were just too easy. The only thing that stopped me from having atomic physics a childhood hobby were the AEC nuclear handling regulations could not be met in my parents home. Yes, I requested and the AEC sent me an stack of documents 18" tall

I'm fairly sure I am on the spectrum. I have never had a proper test, but the general consensus of my peers is more or less unanimous.
As a 30 year old in the rural midwest, getting properly tested and diagnosed is hardly realistic.
I was just seen as "weird" growing up, and left me in some very confusing places, socially speaking. I guess this site is one of those places.

Back