Wolf hybrid as a pet?

Such a hybrid is most definitely not a "pet" for a rookie canine owner.
Most likely a regular Joe will not be able to handle one and Uncle Law will come get it and it will be put to death.

Just get a wolf looking dog if the appearance of a wolf is attractive to you instead, plenty of breeds that look very similar.

There was a recent death attributed to a wolf hybrid in Alabama. 4 days ago according to USA today.

Wolf-crosses are neither wolf nor dog, and the psychology of the critters is different than either parent's. Ive known a couple. They tend to be extremely territorial, and males mark everywhere....The information on this Alabama case is still coming in, but it isnt the first time. It points up, though, that if you are not going to be the alpha, or you want an easily ignored pet, but also want the "Cool"thing in your crowd, this kind of animal is not for you. They must be watched, especially for a first time owner. Assuming they're okay because the past behavior has been good can be a fatal mistake...its another of those things in which a two minute thrill can cause a lifetime of regret. Don't do it.

Hybrids are usually further bred and have a low wolf ratio, and are easier to handle.
50/50 hybrids are very rare. Some youtubers/petfluencers have them.

Hybrids are usually further bred and have a low wolf ratio, and are easier to handle.
50/50 hybrids are very rare. Some youtubers/petfluencers have them.
Doesn't matter....like most Designer Dogs, there's nothing predictable about such crosses, except that whatever the percentage, they have to be watched. All. The. Time. None of them are "set it and forget it" toys. One person may get a big sweet lapdog, while another gets a monster, out of the same litter. This is not something to be encouraged.

I've seen one in the flesh, guy had bought it from Russia or somewhere near the border at least. Impressive looking animal, but i think they are banned for a reason. The one i saw was a female, less than year old and already bigger than any dog i've seen. Scrawny, but huge frame.

Wolfdogs are typically not for the faint of heart. They need specialized care, a huge amount of space to roam, and the utmost respect.

There are too many stupids that want a 'macho' 'pet' and think they'll get a badass wolf. Once they realize the animal they have is just about untrainable and won't stop peeing on the couch, they end up euthanized or if they're lucky, in those specialized shelters.

You generally have to pick to live a life with a wolfdog. That comes with many compromises.

I'm sure some people will say they've had a family wolfdog, and they were more perfect than a regular dog. While I'm sure such things have happened, you cannot expect it. Wolfdogs tend to be very shy and nervous. They don't like meeting strangers, and they don't particularly like strange new experiences. If you are able to get your hands on an actual wolfdog puppy, you stand a better socialization chance, but they'll never be your friendly neighborhood Shepherd you can take with you wherever.

Chances are you'd get a rescue. And they are probably the most damaged examples. Because they're not sure if they're dogs or wolves. And they've just been pulled from living in a cage in a studio apartment for the past 2 years.

"Wolf-hybrids" are actually banned in quite a few places. A lot of vet practices won't even touch them, so good luck on the medical care.

That being said, if someone on here actually has and cares for one, same as OP I would love to hear about them, and maybe learn about how true my views on wolfdog ownership are or not. Sorry to derail your thread a bit with this rant.
Well said

take into account that probably 90% of the people claiming their dog is a "wolf hybrid" are flat out full of shit, i still wouldn't touch it because they often use their ignorance as an excuse why their dog has poor behavior

My cousin had a husky she claimed was a mix between a husky and a wolf. I doubt he was actually a mix like that, as he was just slightly larger than the average husky. And before anyone asks, no, I don't think they were partners. If memory serves correct, he was neutered.

Last edited:
Last edited:
my wolf is named moon. He’s the family dog, we had him since a puppy and registered him as a service dog. He is incredibly smart I promise you will not out smart him. He’s perfectly potty trained and loves kids. I only seen him get aggressive around other male dogs that’s all. He tries to fuck any female dog he see tho 😂

my wolf is named moon. He’s the family dog, we had him since a puppy and registered him as a service dog. He is incredibly smart I promise you will not out smart him. He’s perfectly potty trained and loves kids. I only seen him get aggressive around other male dogs that’s all. He tries to fuck any female dog he see tho 😂
Got any pictures?

He also has female husky together with his wolf (wolf-hybrid?) but they never mated. How did he prevent that from happening.
The husky is a shelter dog, probably neuter. If not, they are simply closed separately or he take them to he friend's house for 3 weeks.

So far. If he really is a wolf, as opposed to a wolfish looking dog you wont know how true any of what you think about him is true til hes dead. He msy think youre his pack....he may just like playing with his food, or he may not be what you think he is. Good luck.

Just looked at your pics. Dunno what else is in there....head shape says "courser".... Borzoi, Collie, deer or wolfhound.....If there's wolf in him, all the attendant issues apply.

Wondering if anyone here has a wolf hybrid as a pet?

Assuming you're looking for an intact wolfdog and don't have connections in the wolfdog rescue circles like I had to get an intact wolfdog, then NO ABSOLUTELY NOT, PLEASE DO NOT SUPPORT ASSHOLE BACKYARD WOLFDOG BREEDERS AND THIS SHITTY INDUSTRY. That is one of the worst, most irresponsible things anyone can do and you'd know what I mean if you look into the wolfdog laws, relinquishment and rescue situation especially in the US. Most of the "wolfdogs" being sold as such are just wolfy looking breeds and breed mixes of dogs anyway with not a drop of wolf blood in them, and yet their aggression as dogs with wolf labels ends up adding to negative misconceptions about real wolves and wolfdogs which results in the continuance of regulations and policies that harm and kill them. For one example, most shelters in the US will automatically kill a "wolfdog" (whether they actually are or not) if they enter the shelter as a stray, they aren't put up for adoption unless strings are pulled and their breed type is changed on paper, which is a huge liability issue if they do take that chance.

Just lookup "wolfy looking dog breeds" amd go for a Tamaskan, malamute, or whatever. Much easier to work with anyway, as mentioned above!

Assuming you're looking for an intact wolfdog and don't have connections in the wolfdog rescue circles like I had to get an intact wolfdog, then NO ABSOLUTELY NOT, PLEASE DO NOT SUPPORT ASSHOLE BACKYARD WOLFDOG BREEDERS AND THIS SHITTY INDUSTRY. That is one of the worst, most irresponsible things anyone can do and you'd know what I mean if you look into the wolfdog laws, relinquishment and rescue situation especially in the US. Most of the "wolfdogs" being sold as such are just wolfy looking breeds and breed mixes of dogs anyway with not a drop of wolf blood in them, and yet their aggression as dogs with wolf labels ends up adding to negative misconceptions about real wolves and wolfdogs which results in the continuance of regulations and policies that harm and kill them. For one example, most shelters in the US will automatically kill a "wolfdog" (whether they actually are or not) if they enter the shelter as a stray, they aren't put up for adoption unless strings are pulled and their breed type is changed on paper, which is a huge liability issue if they do take that chance.

Just lookup "wolfy looking dog breeds" amd go for a Tamaskan, malamute, or whatever. Much easier to work with anyway, as mentioned above!
Even if I can have a wolf dog I wouldn't be able to adopt/buy him and I was just curious how many people on this site have them since they are so rare but thanks for the info.

Just remember, in most cases anyone, zoo or not, who says theyve had a real wolf or wolfdog and they were just like having a regular dog, or that they were more "aggressive", they're lying to themselves (likely because their idiot breeder was equally uneducated on the subject, or lied on purpose to increase the percieved value and sell more puppies) and lying to you. Research wolfdog behavior and how to "phenotype" a wolf and wolfdog, it's much more complicated than most people realize which is why dogs get misidentified and misrepresented as wolves and wolfdogs all the time.

If you have the means to care for one and you're willing to rescue one and educate yourself thoroughly beforehand, you'll be doing a great service and experience how rewarding such a unique relationship as this can be.

Edit: When I say "rescue one", I mean specifically from a registered non-profit wolfdog rescue organization.

Last edited:
But it still is not to be encouraged, especially in the age of the Cellphone carried everywhere. People dont pay attention to their children...Owning a wolf cross for the majority of nitwits in the World is much like handing a toddler a hand grenade and telling him or her not to piddle with the little silver ring....Disaster waiting for a place to happen.

But it still is not to be encouraged, especially in the age of the Cellphone carried everywhere. People dont pay attention to their children...Owning a wolf cross for the majority of nitwits in the World is much like handing a toddler a hand grenade and telling him or her not to piddle with the little silver ring....Disaster waiting for a place to happen.
Far to many nitwits who cant handle a fecking poodle these days.
If wanting to get a dog just for bragging rights proves you shouldnt have a dog at all.

Theres plenty about that look like wolves, i have a GSDxHusky who looks just like a small wolf, but if people are that desperate it comes back to my previous statement..

I had a 50 lb. shep-husky cross years ago that had a fairly broad head, but lacked the yellow eyes that would have made him a perfect look-alike. For most people thats about as much as they can handle. Husky crosses are often just as stubborn as the parent.

so I guess one picture uploaded idk but I got a lot of him. That first picture he in isn’t my room 😂

If that's a wolf, I'm the love-child of an affair between Martin Luther King and Tinkerbell.

There may be a trace of wolf hiding in his genetics somewhere, but if so, it's minuscule, and so far back as to be meaningless. Not one single thing I can see about that dog is "right" for a wolf. Looks more like a husky/shep cross, with a bit of some sort of sighthound (greyhound or *MAYBE* wolfhound would be my guess) and maybe a dash of collie stirred in for flavor.

If you paid for this "wolf", you got robbed.

Back