Why do landlords ban pets?

BC, you need to pay first months rent, half a months rent for security deposit and no more half months rent for a pet deposit

Ontario it's first and last month ONLY. That works out to the same as BC with pets tbh, but that's for anyone. Landlords can't charge any other deposit or fee above that (except for AC fees every year somehow)

Never would I have imagined in a million years that a fucking zoophilia and bestiality forum, of all places, would have so many people in favor of automatically excluding 34% of the population (in the US) from owning pets.

Never would I have imagined in a million years that a fucking zoophilia and bestiality forum, of all places, would have so many people in favor of automatically excluding 34% of the population (in the US) from owning pets.
You could argue a bit of hypocrisy honestly in the population? But the majority of the population is fetish based not really genuine.

Plus there's a bunch of irresponsible people who are willing to let the damage happen and dip so the original owners have to pay the price.

Of course this can all be solved by reputation checks as well as other forms of reputable proofs that they won't be this irresponsible with their pets that people expect.

Everyone wants quick and easy fixes but we all know that's not going to happen if anyone wants trustworthy clients they would have to do a little detective work instead of just letting anyone in and then being butthurt when they do the damage involved.

What? The question was *WHY* landlords ban pets. I have with two dogs, they can be pretty disgusting creatures sometimes, that's a fact I'm keenly aware of. I plan to pay off my mortgage, sell my house, and buy a bigger house. I know before I can sell it I'm going to have to *at least* replace all of the carpeting, repaint all of the walls, replace all of the faux hardwood flooring, and deep clean every nook and cranny. If I do this all myself it won't be too bad, but if I have to pay someone to do this, it's likely going to be very expensive. And let's be real, most landlords aren't going to do all the work themselves.

That is the biggest reason *WHY* it's banned. But dogs, especially big dogs, can be a liability as well if they end up attacking someone on the landlords property. I believe it would be more logical to just charge a, per pet, pet fee every month. But I'm not a landlord nor to I plan to be one any time soon.

What? The question was *WHY* landlords ban pets. I have with two dogs, they can be pretty disgusting creatures sometimes, that's a fact I'm keenly aware of. I plan to pay off my mortgage, sell my house, and buy a bigger house. I know before I can sell it I'm going to have to *at least* replace all of the carpeting, repaint all of the walls, replace all of the faux hardwood flooring, and deep clean every nook and cranny. If I do this all myself it won't be too bad, but if I have to pay someone to do this, it's likely going to be very expensive. And let's be real, most landlords aren't going to do all the work themselves.

That is the biggest reason *WHY* it's banned. But dogs, especially big dogs, can be a liability as well if they end up attacking someone on the landlords property. I believe it would be more logical to just charge a, per pet, pet fee every month. But I'm not a landlord nor to I plan to be one any time soon.
Most do pet fees or "Pet Rent", same as most hotels do....travel with a dog, as Ive done regularly for the past 15 years, and youll find its normal....Its the smaller landlords and motel owners who feel theyve been burnt or will BE burnt that are hard to deal with.

Personally, Id rather rent a motel room that smells doggy than one that smells of Dope. If it stinks of pot, Im outta there. Im allergic.

Because it's easier to ban innocent dogs,cats, etc then shit humans. In this world you can be a god awful human and be treated like a king but if you as a dog bite someone in defense. Well off to the euthanasia you go
Man, exactly.
I wish animals got more rights in this world. Or rather, more consideration. If you're worried about your apartment getting trashed, ban shitty people, not the animals who are 100% a part of the family, or even someone's partner.

Personally, Id rather rent a motel room that smells doggy than one that smells of Dope. If it stinks of pot, Im outta there. Im allergic.
A lot of people likely have the same feeling about dogs and cats. I know many people allergic to pet dandruff, however you're the only person I know that's allergic to cannabis. Which is why deep cleaning will likely be needed by landlords, that dandruff will absolutely get into every nook and cranny of a living space.

They probably assume that you won’t be good at taking the pet outside for the bathroom and people can have allergies

I gotta say, im happy ESAs exist. I've been working towards getting one, and have finally started making actual progress. I even have one of my first therapist appointments tomorrow.

My previous buds, who preformed this task for me... Well, they're rats. One already passed, and his little brother isnt too far behind now. He can't even climb anymore. I don't even know what i'll do what it comes time...
Getting a dog soon would be nice. Animals are the only thing i can really relate to. At least they're far more helpful for my mental state than people are.
They don't have many protections, and man, they have an increasingly shitty reputation now. But we could be all each other needs, and everyone else can just deal.

I completely understand pet rents and deposits and why people may not want animals on their property.

The part I don't understand is the turning around and allowing infinitely more destructive children in without a second thought.

Children are far less destructive than animals.

Children do not chew on molding and door frames, nor do they pee all over the place to where their urine eats the hardwood flooring or the subfloor below that.
Bad pets raised by bad owners do this.
Bad kids raised by bad parents break holes in the walls, tear down the blinds, flood the bathroom, and break appliances.

I completely understand pet rents and deposits and why people may not want animals on their property.

The part I don't understand is the turning around and allowing infinitely more destructive children in without a second thought.
Business is business and the Holy Dollar is omnipotent. I find it interesting that the majority of comments comparing dogs to kids seem to be from those without kids. If you didnt raise one, youve apparently lost your memory of what childhood was like...and possibly, because you've never travelled with children a tad of your humanity as well.

Like it or loathe it, you, and you know who you are, are people too...youre never ever going to have more insight into your critters than into your neighbors. All the FrootLoops coffee creamer in the world isnt going to change the fact that its intended for coffee. And all the wishful thinking ain't gonna make you a dog.

Landlords and Hoteliers do what they do because THEY CAN. Most places charge FAMILY rates to FAMILIES....GET IT? If they want the business, they may discount that, but it hits the books as a family charge. Break something? They'll send you a bill.

Can... someone translate whatever that thing above me means? I-i think im having a stroke.

Froot loops coffee creamer??

Can... someone translate whatever that thing above me means? I-i think im having a stroke.

He's saying pretty much "humans generate money therefore money talks.". At least that's how I'm translating it as.

"It's their place so their rules" also

Business is business and the Holy Dollar is omnipotent. I find it interesting that the majority of comments comparing dogs to kids seem to be from those without kids. If you didnt raise one, youve apparently lost your memory of what childhood was like...and possibly, because you've never travelled with children a tad of your humanity as well.

Like it or loathe it, you, and you know who you are, are people too...youre never ever going to have more insight into your critters than into your neighbors. All the FrootLoops coffee creamer in the world isnt going to change the fact that its intended for coffee. And all the wishful thinking ain't gonna make you a dog.

Landlords and Hoteliers do what they do because THEY CAN. Most places charge FAMILY rates to FAMILIES....GET IT? If they want the business, they may discount that, but it hits the books as a family charge. Break something? They'll send you a bill.
I have 3 siblings in single digits and I'm in my 30s (I know it's weird). Trust me, I know exactly what its like. I love my siblings, but I wouldn't let them in my apartment. They aren't maliciously destructive, but the younger two are ridiculously clumsy and the oldest is a sport nut, so there's always a ball flying through their house. I hear at least one thing break every time I go to the parents house

Perhaps....it is not the same thing as raising kids. I hear that refrain in basso, baritone, tenor, contralto, soprano and 16 parts of Descant. Doesnt change the tune. Having a little more insight into people is far more useful than whatever relationship you THINK you have with Fluffy or Spot, at least in the world outside...

Now this, this made me roll around laughing! It's soo true!

Sadly, Froot loops coffee creamer is actually real and depending on your sugar tolerances, may or may not hurt you. There is no cure, there is no hiding. Froot loops coffee creamer is inevitable.

Mostly because from the POV of the landlord pets are an additional risk (damage, nuisances to neighbors, etc.) with no upside so all things being equal they'll prefer a tenant without a pet. Most of the time the pet won't be a problem but when it does the damage and headache can be massive.

In France it's illegal to ban tenants from having a pet and it's common for prospective tenants to not disclose that they have one or intend to get one (and legally they don't even have to tell you).

Mostly because from the POV of the landlord pets are an additional risk (damage, nuisances to neighbors, etc.) with no upside so all things being equal they'll prefer a tenant without a pet. Most of the time the pet won't be a problem but when it does the damage and headache can be massive.

In France it's illegal to ban tenants from having a pet and it's common for prospective tenants to not disclose that they have one or intend to get one (and legally they don't even have to tell you).
Man i wish i could move to europe.
They seem so much more oriented towards quality of life.
I just wish they had more of the animals i liked. Rescuing a coyote or wild turkey of my own is a long shot here, in europe... Not a chance!

Man i wish i could move to europe.
They seem so much more oriented towards quality of life.
I just wish they had more of the animals i liked. Rescuing a coyote or wild turkey of my own is a long shot here, in europe... Not a chance!
It really depends on the country tbh. Some of our next-door neighbours operate differently and make it very hard for tenants to keep anything without permission.

This is just a part of being a pet owner. ALL pets cause damage and make messes that are uncleanable. Putting teeth marks in a piece of trim or on a door is an expensive fix. Diarrhea in a carpet is impossible to clean up. It gets so deep that replacing the carpet is necessary unless you want to smell a goofy funk in the room every time the humidity goes up. So, to all the people upset about being discriminated against, you as a renter come with a lot more wear and tear than someone who doesn't own a pet. If you think you're the exception, you're not. There is no such thing as a perfect pet owner.

Owning a pet comes with a lot of responsibilities and sacrifices. Having a hard time finding a place to rent or having to pay more is just one more thing on the list and it's perfectly justified.

Something I'm interested in is making rental units that are more resilient when it comes to pet damage. No carpet, for example, and trim/paint/doors that are easier to repair. I don't know, there's only so much you can do. Say you install a high quality, waterproof LVP flooring throughout the whole unit that holds up well to dog claws and spills. But...your tenant's dog pees next to the wall and it wicks under the baseboard. They clean it up well but now there's urine soaked into the wood of the baseboard forever. Stuff like that just makes you twice as hard on a rental property as a pet owner. There's a lot you can do as an owner to minimize that but you'll never catch everything and the landlords know this. They're just trying to even out the playing field by charging you a pet deposit. At least now they've got a little extra money to refurbish the place earlier than expected due to the increased wear and tear. I totally sympathize with the landlord that doesn't want to deal with it at all and says "no pets". Seems perfectly reasonable to me. There's a ton of that in my area so I just waited until I bought my own house to get a dog.

So...sack up, Nancies. Nobody owes you and your pet a place to live. You're an increased liability and you should have known that before getting a pet. You have to shoulder all the other responsibilities as a pet owner, this is just another one.

It really depends on the country tbh. Some of our next-door neighbours operate differently and make it very hard for tenants to keep anything without permission.
Sounds like how it is here in the us. I just found out my place doesn't even allow the portable dishwasher i got recently.
I was struggling with depression and work, and it helped me at least one chore in check.
Saves water and isn't hooked up to anything but power. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it.
But no, apparently they can just... say you aren't allowed to own something.
They also had a lot to say about my workbench. I work with a lot of electronics, making my own gadgets really, but nothing dangerous. They wanted to know every little thing in detail, same with some of my other hobbies. And it felt uncomfortable to have to desperately explain my right to... just do what makes me happy, to just live.

Sounds like how it is here in the us. I just found out my place doesn't even allow the portable dishwasher i got recently.
I was struggling with depression and work, and it helped me at least one chore in check.
Saves water and isn't hooked up to anything but power. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it.
But no, apparently they can just... say you aren't allowed to own something.
They also had a lot to say about my workbench. I work with a lot of electronics, making my own gadgets really, but nothing dangerous. They wanted to know every little thing in detail, same with some of my other hobbies. And it felt uncomfortable to have to desperately explain my right to... just do what makes me happy, to just live.
I'm sorry to hear that. I know it probably won't help but in all likelihood this is a case of landlords wanting to minimise the risk of a tenant causing damage to the property. Of course you are a responsible person but your landlord doesn't know you personally and they are taking a risk when they give you the keys.

But is it illegal in the USA specifically in California to ban/not allow service animals and emotional support/therapy animals?
Nope! Housing rights is the main protection Emotional support animals are afforded, and service animals can't be denied from going anywhere really.

Back