Why do landlords ban pets?

I'm in the same position, where I currently live my landlord doesn't allow any pets of any kind. Not even a fish tank, but yet smoking is allowed in the house. If it was just weed smoking it wouldn't be a big deal, I partake myself but it's the tobacco that bothers me.

I'm renting flat from agency who ban pets and kids. I terms and conditions is written: "pets and kids are not allowed". But the catch is my two neighbours live in flats with kids and nobody cares.
About pets.. I can understand that owning a pet may result some damage for agency property. But most of tennants have their own furnishings, neighbourhood is paceful and quiet so I don't understand restrictions.

I'm guessing that restrictions are just for prevent potential sexual activities between human and animals in rented property haha ☺️

Because of restrictions like this, me and my fianceé looking for another flat from private landlord to keep our two cats without any problems.

Last edited:
If a lease agreement says "no pets," or "no kids" I'd be very careful defying it....You could end up responsible for the entire lease amount for the year AND evicted as well. It may well appear that "Nobody cares"....but you don't know if there's been s special arrangement made between the lessor and lessee....they might even have an agreement with the welfare people. That wouldn't be public knowledge, nor should it be. Pushing your luck is not recommended, unless you're Ace-high in a Straight Flush.

Some people get a pet without 100% committing to the responsibility of actually taking care of the pet. So rather than having to replace wallpaper, repaint walls, sometimes rehang drywall or replace doors, landlords just say "No Pets".

1682432685522.png

Case in point.

It does suck, someone else's laziness ruins the fun for everyone. May not be a total reason, but a good reason and something I've seen around my area a lot. (Personally I'm just not a fan of landlords, they're too unregulated to be of any good)

Strangely enough, the tenant behavior that is always destructive to property no matter what – and devastatingly so – never incurs its own deposit, fees or rent.

It ruins carpets, drapes, wallpaper, ceilings, furniture, appliances, and even adversely impacts neighbors. Some property managers estimated it costs them at least 4-5 times more to clean, sometimes up to $5,000, often requiring the complete replacement of carpet and overhauling the unit.
So what is the source of this destruction?

Cigarette smoking.....💀

Pets are banned due to speciesism, plain and simple.

Strangely enough, the tenant behavior that is always destructive to property no matter what – and devastatingly so – never incurs its own deposit, fees or rent.

It ruins carpets, drapes, wallpaper, ceilings, furniture, appliances, and even adversely impacts neighbors. Some property managers estimated it costs them at least 4-5 times more to clean, sometimes up to $5,000, often requiring the complete replacement of carpet and overhauling the unit.

Cigarette smoking.....💀

Every landlord I know has a no smoking clause in the lease. Definitely grounds to lose your security deposit if you smoke inside.

Smoking is banned due to addictionism, plain and simple.

Cigarette smoking.....💀

It really is.
Animals, pets, are still regarded entirely as property, not even give the respect for being they living things they undeniably are.
With the way things are now, you can be told you can't have one the same way you can be told you can't have a phone somewhere.

Our companions are so much more than just property.

I've lived in apartments for a long time before I got my own home and I have also done maintenance work in the past for businesses, just not regular apartment buildings. Sometimes people suck at taking basic care of their animals, belongings, and the rental. Other times some people have an animal that gets sick all the time or has bladder/bowel issues that the owner isn't committed enough to fixing so accidents keep happening or the animal has on going medical issues that can't be avoided due to age/disease.

I live in Germany as well but in a sort of special situation where everything is decided by the landlord plus the other tenants. They originally didn't want a dog in the house, but because of excessive barking.
And while in my mind landlord shouldn't be a job and it's a disgusting trend to have property as someone's main income.... I can sort of understand not wanting to deal with the (often petty) complaints of neighbours.
Especially old people will spend their entire day complaining on the phone because one dog barked once.

Back