What STD's can a mare catch from a human?

Greyhound

Tourist
I'm sorry if this was already discussed here.

I'll get to the point. I'm a straight guy, I don't get much sex with humans, never have. But when the occasion arises, I prefer to do it without a condom. It's a sensitivity issue (and a philosophical issue). Like I said I don't do it often, so chances of catching something are low, and some time ago I got a full suite of STD tests and all came back negative. Still, I guess I'm somewhat reckless with my health. But hey, it's my health, my choice.

Recently things got a bit complicated when I got a mare. Now I have sex with her semi-regularly, and my infrequent human on human action has become even less frequent (the pandemic being one of the factors for sure) But the other day I did indeed find myself rawdogging a hot lil' ho of questionable upbringing and character. This got me thinking, what if I catch and STD from this ho and infect my mare? I'm not that worried about my own health, but I am worried about my mare. Also my buddy fucks her too (the mare lives on his property, I'm an apartment dweller) it would really suck if I infected her and then she infected him.

So I've been wondering about what sort of disease I could potentially give her. From what I've read HIV infection is not possible, the virus is just too specialized for humans to infect horses. But what about bacterial infections like syphilis or gonorrhea? What about chlamydia? Those seem a lot more plausible to me. Can a horse catch these from a human and pass them on? What are the odds? What other diseases should I be worried about?

To my knowledge there are no STDs you could pass on to a mare. However, this is not a well studied topic and STDs aren't really a thing among horses in western countries. They do exist but are very strongly controlled. STDs in your livestock is a serious problem that is taken seriously. Want to import / export a horse? You will learn all about various diseases and some of them are sexually transmitted but because of those restrictions those diseases are pretty much wiped out in any country using horses solely for pleasure activities. It is not something I would worry too much about but you could possibly find yourself and your mare written up in a veterinary journal someday. Perhaps someone else can add more information here that I've never encountered before.

However, a nice warm mare vagina is a place that human bugs could live for at least a little while. I suspect if you were infectious and had sex with your mare she could be infectious to other humans for some time. How long? I have no idea and I bet neither does anyone else in the world. Not exactly a lot of research money for that topic. I would worry much more about human-mare-human transmission than anything else. How careful you should be is really up to you and the other people involved. At the very least you should tell your buddy about your concerns and let him choose how to handle it.

I would also point out that even if the encounters are infrequent your chances of catching an STD aren't exactly low. You are choosing partners that are open to having unprotected sex with strangers and that is a pool of people with a pretty high frequency of STD transmission. Kind of like playing Russian roulette once a year with five loaded chambers. Just because you don't do it often doesn't really reduce the risk when you narrow down your partners to high risk individuals. You do you though. Get tested regularly and be open with you partners.

I would also point out that even if the encounters are infrequent your chances of catching an STD aren't exactly low. You are choosing partners that are open to having unprotected sex with strangers and that is a pool of people with a pretty high frequency of STD transmission. Kind of like playing Russian roulette once a year with five loaded chambers. Just because you don't do it often doesn't really reduce the risk when you narrow down your partners to high risk individuals. You do you though. Get tested regularly and be open with you partners.
Yea I know. I tend to look at it in terms of risk and reward. Many people take risks that to others seem reckless and unnecessary. Some people drive unsafe vehicles such as motorbikes and ATVs at unsafe speeds or on unsafe terrains. Some people ski off cliffs or go cave diving. Recently my coworker broke half a dozen bones when he hit a tree, because he likes biking downhill in a forest. He now brings his X-ray picture with him when he goes through airport security. Not to mention countless millions of people who smoke, fully aware of the countless millions that had been killed by smoking. They all do it because it brings them some sort of enjoyment and therefore they are willing to take the risk. I don't do any of that, but I enjoy rawdogging girls, so from time to time I rawdog girls.

I am the very definition of not a family man, so there isn't really anyone truly dependent on me (if I suddenly croaked, my mare would just stay with my buddy who already takes care of her). My parents would have a hard time if I died, emotionally, not financially. But ultimately I'm not fucking with anyone else's well-being except my own.

I live in a place with good health care and overall low incidence of STDs. Some of those diseases are really nasty, but except for AIDS they are all ultimately curable. And even a HIV infection is manageable these days. I intend to acquire PrEP for HIV prophylaxis, and just take a chance with those other diseases every once in a while. I'm sure my doctor would have kittens if I told him this, but hey, like I said it's my life.

Also I am scheduled for another suite of STD tests and I'm not touching my mare's genitals until those come back clean.

What STD can she catch (as in "have an active, growing infection that can be passed on", as opposed to "Some dude spooged a syphilis-loaded dose of spunk into her" (There's a difference, and it IS significant) from you (or another human)? Nothing. Zero. Zilch. Zip. Nada.

So far as I'm aware, there is no STD that affects humans which also affects horses, unless you're talking purely "mechanical transfer" - like the scenario above: Guy with syphilis (or the clap, or whatever else) fucks mare. Another guy comes along shortly after (How long "shortly" is will vary by several factors, including the specific pathogen involved) and dunks his dink in her. He stands a very real real of catching whatever the other guy had, simply due to the presence of contamination - The mare isn't going to "catch syphilis", but she might have a load of syphilis germs in her works that the second guy can pick up exactly the same way he could (at least in theory) catch some kind of cooties from drinking out of your glass if you're sick. That doesn't mean the glass "has cooties" - only that there are cootie-bugs ON the glass (or mixed into the contents in it)

So essentially, mechanical transfers from one human to the next by way of "storage" in the mare between the time guy "A" sticks his dick in and the time guy "B" does are possible, but a human actually catching a disease (other than known zoonotics like brucellosis) from a horse infected with some flavor of "horsey VD" (such things do exist) or vice-versa just isn't going to happen unless somebody else who has <pick your STD> boinks the mare shortly - and by shortly, I mean minutes or hours - Days *MIGHT* be possible for specific diseases in some cases, but not likely - before you do.

Vets will test for it in a breeding soundness exam because even though it isn't life threatening, it will cause abortions and sterility.

Most if not all of the commonly Husbanded domesticates can carry a version of this little nasty. Its an issue with Buffalo, because it passes through graze to cattle. But goats, sheep and swine can carry a variant. Its a relatively new discovery that humans can pick it up from horses. Good sanitation probably is the best defense if approaching new critters. Reading further, it can affect dogs, and is known in Elk. That means that other Cervidae (Deer family) likely are affected. That means Hunters should take some care to wash hands and clothing after successful trips.

Last edited:
Most if not all of the commonly Husbanded domesticates can carry a version of this little nasty. Its an issue with Buffalo, because it passes through graze to cattle. But goats, sheep and swine can carry a variant. Its a relatively new discovery that humans can pick it up from horses. Good sanitation probably is the best defense if approaching new critters. Reading further, it can affect dogs, and is known in Elk. That means that other Cervidae (Deer family) likely are affected. That means Hunters should take some care to wash hands and clothing after successful trips.
Damn - that stuff is showing up in more and more places. I wonder if it's because it's a "new" bug spreading out, or it's been with us all along, and we've only just developed ways to spot it that can detect the patterns that show a shitload of critters can get it?

Vets will test for it in a breeding soundness exam because even though it isn't life threatening, it will cause abortions and sterility.
Thanks caikgoch. I'll look into it some more, but so far it seems like I'm more likely to catch that one from her than vice versa. My buddy has 4 horses, she doesn't really come into contact with any other animals. In any case, we don't plan to breed her (with other horses that is).

Thanks caikgoch. I'll look into it some more, but so far it seems like I'm more likely to catch that one from her than vice versa. My buddy has 4 horses, she doesn't really come into contact with any other animals. In any case, we don't plan to breed her (with other horses that is).
Nope, you're far more likely to infect her. She's not the one that gets out of the fence on a regular basis to go looking for strange stuff.

Nope, you're far more likely to infect her. She's not the one that gets out of the fence on a regular basis to go looking for strange stuff.
Does that mean this thing is widely circulating among humans as well? Cause I don't have sex with any other animals. Don't get me wrong, I'll fuck another mare if I get a chance. But I don't get any chances on that front.

I also think there are certain strains of genital warts can be passed back and forth with equines.

Its a relatively new discovery that humans can pick it up from horses.
James Herriot wrote about catching brucellosis from livestock in his books about his pre-WW2 life as a country veterinarian. From what I remember of that chapter of his books, he wrote that it was very common for vets to become infected with it.

James Herriot wrote about catching brucellosis from livestock in his books about his pre-WW2 life as a country veterinarian. From what I remember of that chapter of his books, he wrote that it was very common for vets to become infected with it.
Good to know...Funny, the recent 2021 Merck Manual ( the link Cai gave) says its unlikely Horses are a source for a pass thru to humans. Herriot was a great story teller. He was also ancient history as far as Veterinary Medicine practice runs today. In his day it was more likely to have been contracted from raw dairy products. The CDC and WHO don't list Horses as frontline sources yet. Since this thread actually is useful, you might want to keep your pissing contests at the dumpster, where they belong

Last edited:
I've posted a separate topic that lists Zoonotic diseases (e.g. those diseases that an animal can transmit to humans) as a separate topic. As has been mentioned here though there's probably no research that's been made public of those pathogens that can be passed from humans to animals or to another human via an animal...

Back