• Country

• Rock

• Heavy Metal

• Pop

• Rap

• Hip-Hop

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I hate these sorts of questions; my tastes are too wide-ranging to be neatly summarized. For instance, looking at my LastFM profile, these are the last five songs that played from my music server:
1. The Air That I Breathe, by The Hollies
2. Anel de Noivado, by Trio Odemira
3. The Man Who Never Lied, by Maroon 5
4. Louisiana, by Israel Nash Gripka
5. La Soledad, by Pink Martini

Looking a little deeper in the history, you'll see some Nelly, some James Blunt, of course some Elton John, Neil Diamond, Bruce Springsteen, Foreigner, Sublime, Eagles, Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler, and that's just for openers. I love music, have some formal education in it and even played "professionally" (you can live on very little in your 20s if you're having a good time :cool:) for a little while. However I have a conundrum that perhaps you all may be able to help me with…

I love music dating all the way back to the 40s and 50s, and extending across most all of the major genres that have cycled through America into the aughts (00s), along with several "world" styles such as Latin/Afro-Cuban, Celtic, and more. I thought I had a pretty decent shot at being one of the rare people who always finds something to appreciate amongst whatever the music industry is pumping out instead of getting stuck in a rut like almost every other old person I know. And yet, when I listen to the chart-toppers over the last five years or so, it's just plain bad. The arrangements are uninspired and robotic, and the lyrics…they seem to written by people who either grew up in a brothel or locked away in a hermitage, devoid of any relatable connection to the human condition. Was I deluded in thinking that I could retain an open mind about contemporary music until I died, or do some of you also have similar reactions to what you hear "on the radio?" All candid responses are welcome.

just a curiosity question what type of music/bands do you like?

personally it swings it can be metal to the classic bands on the 60s through too the 80's and from there to electronic music

how about you?
Actually very similar. Set up a mix on Youtube as I no longer listen to radio here in uk and I stream non stop music of these genres.

All the above with some provisos...

Country- Americana or older country (90s and before). Not really into the Nash-Vegas acts on top 40 country radio. Every now and then I will hear one I enjoy but it's almost entirely people out of the "mainstream" of country radio. Lots of Willie, Johnny and Merle and on the newer side I like Kacey Musgraves a fair bit

Rock- Rock and roll ("oldies"), classic rock, rockabilly, alt rock..like a lot of guitar based music. My overall favorite band is the Beach Boys because I love harmony but not for the reasons MOST of their fans say (I like the stuff from the TODAY! album through THE BEACH BOYS (1985) album best rather than the hot rod and early surf songs) but the wife and I saw Muse last year and it was great.

Heavy Metal- I wouldn't go so far as to call myself a "metalhead" but there's a fair amount of power chord-laden entries in my YTM playlists. I do more traditional stuff (NWOBHM, power metal, etc.) and some thrash/speed metal as well but not into 'core (can't do the cookie monster vocals)

Pop- I'm in my 50s so it's decidedly less a percentage of my overall listening than it once was but I do still listen to and enjoy the occasional Top 40 tune. Right now, I'm kinda digging Olivia Rodrigo.

Rap- I tend to listen to stuff that either gets categorized as "conscious" or old school rap from 80s/90s but there are always hit and miss exceptions. Lots of somewhat fringe bands that are "known" by hip-hop heads but probably getting little to no airplay (Ugly Duckling, Blackalicious, Jurassic 5)

Hip-Hop- Isn't this a synonym for rap? The only people I've heard separate these are people who suggest "hip-hop" is the culture AROUND rap (i.e. clothing, slang) and rap is the music itself

My weird musical quirks- I like swing music and still listen, unironically, to 90s swing revival acts like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Lee Press-On and the Nails, Bellevue Cadillac, etc. along with the 30s/40s bands. Also a fair amount of CCM/gospel. Also really digging the synthpop revival going on with people like M83/CHRVCHES/etc.

Personally love Death and Black metal myself. Which is rather funny because i am a really placid human being haha. What do you like?

I listen to so many genres!! Hard to choose a favourite.

Was raised on a lot of old country, 50s 60s, still love listening to it from time to time.

Majority of the time I listen to post hardcore/ emo. Also love a lot of classic goth music.

I do listen to some metal, but hasn’t been in rotation for me lately, I like a lot of that early 2000’s numetal. My tastes change on the daily depending on my mood. For more energizing days where I have to study or pull all nighters I’ll listen to breakcore/ gabber, and in the nights I wanna just belt and sing my heart out I’ll listen to my favourite band MCR!!

I listen to so many genres!! Hard to choose a favourite.

Was raised on a lot of old country, 50s 60s, still love listening to it from time to time.

Majority of the time I listen to post hardcore/ emo. Also love a lot of classic goth music.

I do listen to some metal, but hasn’t been in rotation for me lately, I like a lot of that early 2000’s numetal. My tastes change on the daily depending on my mood. For more energizing days where I have to study or pull all nighters I’ll listen to breakcore/ gabber, and in the nights I wanna just belt and sing my heart out I’ll listen to my favourite band MCR!!
Very nice!
I love old 20s and 30s Delta Blues as something different.

MCR wow that brings back a few memories haha!

I love my 50's to 90's songs, Classic songs , Bump , BoooM, Cover2Cover, Gigi D'Agostino, Clubworx, Eminem, Westlife and any other of rave and techno.

I mostly listen to a group called the Mountain Goats, but I listen to folk stuff like Bob Dylan, Woodie Guthrie, and Johnny Cash a good bit too. I like Sturgill Simpson and Adeem the Artist, both of whom are weird modern kinds of country. I listen to a smattering of classic rock songs, mostly just the more popular songs if various people, but I’ve gotten more into Fire of Unknown Origin by Blue Öyster Cult and Division Bell by Pink Floyd.

I’m really curious about whatever you all are into.

I mostly listen to a group called the Mountain Goats, but I listen to folk stuff like Bob Dylan, Woodie Guthrie, and Johnny Cash a good bit too. I like Sturgill Simpson and Adeem the Artist, both of whom are weird modern kinds of country. I listen to a smattering of classic rock songs, mostly just the more popular songs if various people, but I’ve gotten more into Fire of Unknown Origin by Blue Öyster Cult and Division Bell by Pink Floyd.

I’m really curious about whatever you all are into.
Blink 182- I wanna fuck a dog in the ass, zz top- great dane lyric, blood hound hang - the bad touch.

The kind of music I listen to changes daily. Mostly country music, I like stuff from the 90s to artist today like Tyler Childers and Zach Bryan but I also love trace music like from Gareth Emery. I'll listen to about anything but depends on the mood. I have gotten a funny look from a supervisor one time when I was up in a boom lift 40ft off the ground singing Abba.

Ahhh Metal of various subgenres, rock, hyperpop, rap, 2000-10s pop, alt/indie, Midwest emo, edm/electric music, classical.. uhhh.. name a genre, I probably like one or 2 songs from it. Just my tops ^^

Right now I've had a thing with power metal that has caught me. But I also enjoy post-hardcore and metalcore. Plus i also like the emo-sad scene music from the 2000's to 2010.

I am all over the place when it comes to music. I go through cycles of listening to classic rock like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Crosby Stills and Nash, Fleetwood Mac, etc, then I’ll switch up and go straight to some solid gothic rock, Fields of the Nephilim and The Sisters of Mercy rate right up there. Then I’ll move more toward electronic/house/kwaito, and then move onto some good 90’s hip hop greats. I will effectively listen to anything going, outside of most country, or trap music/mumble rap.

Back