Water dog?

btwiamazoophile

Citizen of Zooville
Is your dog a water dog? My two dogs are almost complete opposites in this regard: one loves the water and one tries to avoid it at all costs. Thankfully he'll at least tolerate it enough for us to all go creek wading together. The more water stuff we do, the more he's been getting comfortable with it but it's apparent he just isn't a water dog.

How about your dogs? Do they like the water? Was there anything that changed it for them or were they just always into it? How do you satiate your dogs desires to be in the water?

My girl will enthusiastically woof at me to go outside and lead me to the door so I can open it for her. Then she'll notice it's raining outside and all that enthusiasm instantly evaporates. Her tails stops wagging, and she turns back inside as if she'd never wanted to go out in the first place.

Definitely not a water dog :gsd_laughing:

My boy was a golden, they were breed specifically to be water fowl retrievers. Never had him around large bodies of water to swim in, so can't say how he personally would have reacted to that. At bath times he knew what I was preparing to do and before his old man legs made it difficult for him he'd climb in the tub by himself when I called that I was ready for him. Though he was ready for it to be over shortly into the bath, but endured it like the good boy he was.

All of my dogs have loved the water.
I encourage swimming and all have taken to it well.

My boy LOVES to swim! You basically have to physically restrain him around any open body of water because he WILL get in it. He even tries to get in the shower with me all the time.
My girl on the other hand, eh not to so much. She'll get her feet wet but that's about it. Absolutely hates baths and even goes far as to completely ignore and avoid me for at least a couple hours after a bath. Lol

I've got a golden retriever who is 9 months old now. I just taught him to swim a couple of weeks ago. Well...he taught himself, I suppose. I just kept throwing a stick just a little bit further out each time until he couldn't quite reach it without losing his footing on the bottom. He worked up the courage and pounced on the stick, awkwardly swimming back to where he could walk again. It was so cute, I almost died. So we did that several times, further and further, and he was swimming pretty well in short order! He's a natural!

Mine absolutely hates rain but loves splashing in the river I recently found out. If it's raining but she wants to play outside she brings one of her toys to the door then starts growling at the rain lol

Most of my dogs have not been afraid to go in water, but most also have not been overly enthused about it either. This dog that's my PFP, first time he got within reach of a lake he waded right in, swam around, goofed off, spent all day there, in and out, of course.

Then the nitwit did something I've never seen any dog, anywhere do before. He stuck his OWN head underwater. And, I was thinking what the hell?

Then he comes back up with a mouthfull of cattail roots. Spend 5 hrs or so dragging all kinds of random shit out of the water, including a shitload more roots.

I never thought I'd ever see a dog voluntarily dunk his own head, let alone dig out water plants with his teeth. That was a first, and will likely be the last too.

They loved the water when they were puppies, but as adults, none of them wanted to go in it. It doesn't bother me, at least they won't smell wet.

Is your dog a water dog? My two dogs are almost complete opposites in this regard: one loves the water and one tries to avoid it at all costs. Thankfully he'll at least tolerate it enough for us to all go creek wading together. The more water stuff we do, the more he's been getting comfortable with it but it's apparent he just isn't a water dog.

How about your dogs? Do they like the water? Was there anything that changed it for them or were they just always into it? How do you satiate your dogs desires to be in the water?
Mine is a Landseer. Meant for water resque.
Only time I needed to coax him into water was when he was a puppy.
Now he runs into the water just to chill or to avoid mean dachshund. Can swim circles but prefers to have something to fetch or save instead.

My late Lab girl absolutely hated the rain and would hold her pee, waiting by her doggy door for a break in the rain. Now my new Golden mix girl absolutely loves the rain, as she will play outside for an hour or more if it's raining. Both are reportedly bred as "water dogs".

Go figure... 🐕

My late Lab girl absolutely hated the rain and would hold her pee, waiting by her doggy door for a break in the rain. Now my new Golden mix girl absolutely loves the rain, as she will play outside for an hour or more if it's raining. Both are reportedly bred as "water dogs".

Go figure... 🐕
At least wet dog smells just as good if not better than dry dog 😇

At least wet dog smells just as good if not better than dry dog 😇
OMG yes! I guess I'm not the only one that thinks a wet dog smells good! Such a turn on for me on a hot summer day! If she's real dirty, no. But if she's clean... Oh yes! Bring it on!

Fun, fun, fun... 🐕

I don't mind the smell of my girl freshly bathed, although to be honest that's more because she smells like shampoo than wet dog.

My little fuzzball usually doesn't mind getting given a bath, I do plan on taking her for a hike here soon and seeing if she likes the creeks I can find. However, she doesn't like it when her paws get wet so when it rains, she goes back inside

Nah... I'm talking 'bout the smell of a "wet dog"... not the smell of shampoo. I'm very into good, clean, but very natural smells of the other creature I'm making "love" to. There have been times that my previous lab girl and I were both naked in one of those $16 blue plastic wadding pools from WalMart, filled with water and playing around. And when she'd start licking me and gettin' all frisky, I'd "make her very happy" right there in my back yard.

But that's me... 🐕

Pretty much the same: One dog absolutely fears the water. The other is shameless in his absolute love to be in the water.

Last week, the second guy went outside to pee in a big rain. First guy looks at him as he comes back in, drenched. "What is ya, ignant?"

My dog Brady loves the water and if there is a pool near by he will jump right in he also loves to go out and run and play in the rain so he is most definitely a water dog!

Reactions: p a
My dog Pluto is absolutely a water dog, by breed (Newfie) and by personality.

If it's raining, he wants a longer walk, and sometimes when we get back to my townhouse he just doesn't want to come in. He'll often sit on my patio (in the rain) sticking his huge tongue out to catch raindrops.

If there's a pool in his view, he makes a beeline for it. My complex has a regular pool for residents as well as a 12' diameter, foot-deep kiddie pool. 9:00-10:00 Sunday mornings the kiddie pool is considered a dog pool. Pluto is all over that and once I let him in he does laps around the perimeter until he's sopping wet. And for good measure, when it's time to walk back to the house, he'll have to do a slow roll in it just to make sure he's as wet as a dog can be. When he shakes it off the radius of water is massive. They usually have to add water after he's done.

Huge puddle from a rainstorm? Splashes in it then rolls through it. Doesn't matter if it's a depression in the parking lot or a depression in the grass (which would be a mud pit while it holds water).

He loves the garden hose and carries my watering can around all the time, hoping I'll fill it and sprinkle his head.

When he was younger I had an issue with him following me into the shower, through the curtain. I nipped that in the bud though.

Yeah, water dog.
Sounds like a wonderful and fun dog — and a reason to invest in a huge washer and dryer, if only to keep up with all the towels needed to dry him off every once in a while.

Back