Veterinarian here: ask me anything!

Do jerking a dog off, humping its back, and other less involved acts contribute to hypersexual or unusual sexual behavior in animals? If so, do they impact their mental health or functioning in animal societies, perhaps physically agitating them?

Do jerking a dog off, humping its back, and other less involved acts contribute to hypersexual or unusual sexual behavior in animals? If so, do they impact their mental health or functioning in animal societies, perhaps physically agitating them?
I’m sure your doggo doesn’t see being given manual stimulation a less involved sexual act XD.

But in all seriousness. It helps if you remove sex from its cultural and religious contexts that have changed the meaning and actions for us humans. If you have a lab, say, he’s going to see plunging his entire self in a lake, eating a delicious and tasty meal, and sexual stimulation as essentially all amazing and fun activities that have the same “enjoyment” status, particularly when done with you.

Dogs can learn self control, in sex and any other activity—it’s an important part of their development as adults and good canine citizens of society! Being able to teach them when are appropriate and inappropriate times to ask for sex is something pretty much every zoo has to learn, but I wouldn’t worry about “hypersexual” behavior occurring because of general stimulation.

In fact, I think a dog with a regular, positive sexual life would be better adjusted in animal societies in the same way that a human would! Good, species specific enrichment always improves canine behavior and well being, and sexual enrichment is no different.

Caveat: If this question is to determine how much you can get away with on a dog that isn’t your own—intimacy and an interspecies relationship is 3000% better with your own companion! Most folks who own dogs actively dislike them showing any kind of sexual behavior, and encouraging them to do so isn’t doing the dog any favors.

Is there any mental issues we might be introducing regarding having sex with our dogs? I often wonder if there is an adverse effect from bluring the lines from "master" to "sexual partner"

Is there any mental issues we might be introducing regarding having sex with our dogs? I often wonder if there is an adverse effect from bluring the lines from "master" to "sexual partner"
Great question!

I don’t think there should be “master” lines when in a relationship with another species. You’re taking in another creature and deciding to share your life with it.

Sure, dogs depend on you for food and pretty much everything else, as well as guidance as they grow (if you start with a puppy) in how to be good citizens of society. But that relationship doesn’t need to come with artificial constraints on animal free will and choice just because you are the human.

For example: there are some good situations where it’s good to teach your dog to heel on a walk and be right beside you. But you don’t need him to heel and never stop and sniff anything at all because you “want to exercise.” That’s denying autonomy simply for your own desires, and it’s something thousands of people who walk their dogs do every day.

Dogs relate to the world through their noses—not sniffing while on a walk is like you going for a stroll and keeping your eyes closed the whole time.

So much of the rhetoric around “being the dogs alpha” is in error, and not rooted in canine behavior or knowledge, and draws from falsified research on wolves done by a scientist during WWII looking to establish a “scientific” basis for racial dominance that justified killing other people—if your dog has sex with you you aren’t somehow loosing your alpha status if you never had it to begin with.

No more “pretending to eat the dog bowl because I have to show him who is boss before he gets dinner.”

Don’t worry at all about blurring the lines. Become a student of canine behavior instead, and pay attention to all your companions little quirks. Teach them impulse control, how to relate well to humans and other animals, fill their lives with multiple different kinds enrichment, and as long as both of you are enjoying yourselves, have as much sex as you want! ❤️

I’m sure your doggo doesn’t see being given manual stimulation a less involved sexual act XD.

But in all seriousness. It helps if you remove sex from its cultural and religious contexts that have changed the meaning and actions for us humans. If you have a lab, say, he’s going to see plunging his entire self in a lake, eating a delicious and tasty meal, and sexual stimulation as essentially all amazing and fun activities that have the same “enjoyment” status, particularly when done with you.

Dogs can learn self control, in sex and any other activity—it’s an important part of their development as adults and good canine citizens of society! Being able to teach them when are appropriate and inappropriate times to ask for sex is something pretty much every zoo has to learn, but I wouldn’t worry about “hypersexual” behavior occurring because of general stimulation.

In fact, I think a dog with a regular, positive sexual life would be better adjusted in animal societies in the same way that a human would! Good, species specific enrichment always improves canine behavior and well being, and sexual enrichment is no different.

Caveat: If this question is to determine how much you can get away with on a dog that isn’t your own—intimacy and an interspecies relationship is 3000% better with your own companion! Most folks who own dogs actively dislike them showing any kind of sexual behavior, and encouraging them to do so isn’t doing the dog any favors.
It's good to hear a professional perspective about this. I may seek opinions from veterinarians with different biases as well, but it's nice to confirm that dogs at least are normally sexual and social creatures.

Last edited:
It's good to hear a professional perspective about this. I may seek opinions from veterinarians with different biases as well, but it's nice to confirm that dogs at least are normally sexual and social creatures.
Absolutely gather as many different professional opinions as you can to make an informed decision. Mine is going to come from a position that sexual behavior isn’t something that should be “trained out” or corrected unless it is misdirected, and that it’s a perfectly normal part of canine life.

@Deagle113 Question on puppy vaginitis. A buddy told me a vet told them to put a small smear of plain yogurt on the vagina (not in) to "help replenish the flora". I'm all into pro and pre - biotics and do give my dogs an animal formulated probiotic every morning. I know yogurt is known to have beneficial bacteria, I'm just not sold on the idea. What are your thoughts?

@Deagle113 Question on puppy vaginitis. A buddy told me a vet told them to put a small smear of plain yogurt on the vagina (not in) to "help replenish the flora". I'm all into pro and pre - biotics and do give my dogs an animal formulated probiotic every morning. I know yogurt is known to have beneficial bacteria, I'm just not sold on the idea. What are your thoughts?
So I will caveat this by saying vets are like pickles—ya go to the aisle and there’s a whole bunch them in a whole lot of different flavors, and you pick the one you like, but the one you like doesn’t of course invalidate the other pickles. You may like the homespun wisdom of a veterinarian who puts yogurt on stuff. Anyway.

I myself am very much into evidence based medicine—meaning things backed up by scientific data. Putting yogurt near the vulva to “re-establish the flora” based on the fact that yogurt has lactobaccilus bacteria in it isn’t evidence based. We have no studies or research that has even found many of the bacteria that colonize yogurt to be a normal part of the vaginal microflora.

The best thing to to with puppy vaginitis is to allow the dog’s immune system to naturally clear it, which it does 90% of the time with no intervention whatsoever aside from occasional cleaning of the area and careful monitoring.

So I will caveat this by saying vets are like pickles—ya go to the aisle and there’s a whole bunch them in a whole lot of different flavors, and you pick the one you like, but the one you like doesn’t of course invalidate the other pickles. You may like the homespun wisdom of a veterinarian who puts yogurt on stuff. Anyway.

I myself am very much into evidence based medicine—meaning things backed up by scientific data. Putting yogurt near the vulva to “re-establish the flora” based on the fact that yogurt has lactobaccilus bacteria in it isn’t evidence based. We have no studies or research that has even found many of the bacteria that colonize yogurt to be a normal part of the vaginal microflora.

The best thing to to with puppy vaginitis is to allow the dog’s immune system to naturally clear it, which it does 90% of the time with no intervention whatsoever aside from occasional cleaning of the area and careful monitoring.
Thanks for the info. Yep, she pretty much over it, and the only thing I have been doing is helping keeping her clean in the area with some human vag wipes, non-scented. Of course just the outside area.

And yes I agree on your "pickle variety" (now I want some pickles, good thing I have some fresh dills in the fridge! ) 🥒comment, vets and human doctors alike all have differing opinions on medical matters. I try my best to do my own research to be well informed about any treatments, routines, drugs, diagnosis, etc that any of them tell me.

I can't help but wonder if the size and shape of the developing puppy's vulva sometimes can contribute or exacerbate this issue? Like perhaps urine and other excretions which would normally exit the vagina on their own accord are being trapped due to a vulva that is folded oddly, or is of a smaller size for her age? Have you seen occurrences of this in your travels, and have they ever required any type of intervention other than monitoring and cleanliness?

Sorry to piggyback here, but I also have a young retriever bitch who does get some very mild irritation from time to time, but I am hoping that will change for the better once she is past her first heat cycle.

I can't help but wonder if the size and shape of the developing puppy's vulva sometimes can contribute or exacerbate this issue? Like perhaps urine and other excretions which would normally exit the vagina on their own accord are being trapped due to a vulva that is folded oddly, or is of a smaller size for her age? Have you seen occurrences of this in your travels, and have they ever required any type of intervention other than monitoring and cleanliness?

Sorry to piggyback here, but I also have a young retriever bitch who does get some very mild irritation from time to time, but I am hoping that will change for the better once she is past her first heat cycle.

Oh absolutely! One of the predisposing factors is abnormal vulvar conformation—you can get adult vaginitis too, with this as the primary culprit. Puppy vaginitis usually clears up by the first heat cycle, because that approximates the age of full immune competency. Interestingly, juvenile vaginitis clearing up doesn’t have much to do with the fact that estrus itself is occurring as much as the fact that you have a fully functioning immune system by then.

For severely “hooded” vulvas in adult dogs—poor things are plagued by UTIs because of it—we can perform a surgery to pull back excess skin and line everything up nicely. We don’t do this in puppies for the obvious reason that they are still growing and developing, and may grow out of the conformation issue.

Oh absolutely! One of the predisposing factors is abnormal vulvar conformation—you can get adult vaginitis too, with this as the primary culprit. Puppy vaginitis usually clears up by the first heat cycle, because that approximates the age of full immune competency. Interestingly, juvenile vaginitis clearing up doesn’t have much to do with the fact that estrus itself is occurring as much as the fact that you have a fully functioning immune system by then.

For severely “hooded” vulvas in adult dogs—poor things are plagued by UTIs because of it—we can perform a surgery to pull back excess skin and line everything up nicely. We don’t do this in puppies for the obvious reason that they are still growing and developing, and may grow out of the conformation issue.
Excellent info, thanks very much for taking the time to answer!

I think this is a bit of the situation with my pup. To me it just looks like things are growing in the genitals at different speeds, and at one point the hood was acting like a flap-seal. Well pups grow crazy week by week and I can tell things are starting to even out in the genital department. I will continue to give a quick wipe up daily just for preventative maintenance until i'm confortable she is cleaning herself well enough and things grow a bit more.

I have a lot of questions so no rush on these.

How can I check if my dog's eardrum is water-tight with a human otoscope? He's particularly cooperative.

I know there are anesthesia-free dental cleaning services. How feasible is it for me to buy an ultrasonic scaler off Amazon and do dental cleaning myself with cooperative dogs? I already use a basic metal scaler on my dogs. My vet might sell me light sedation pills if needed.

For heartworm and hookworm prevention, I use durvet ivermectin sheep pour-on dewormer and squirt it in their throat. Is that the right kind of ivermectin for dogs? What is the correct dosage for that? Is this the new type of ivermectin that does not cause toxicity in certain dogs? https://www.amazon.com/Ivermectin-Sheep-Drench-Packaging-Vary/dp/B002BADTYG/

What is the best way to keep a great dane away from injuries on their back paws? It seems there are no cones long enough for them, especially since the cone slides down their long neck and their back paw can stick into the cone.

What kind of ear broad-spectrum ear antibiotic (maybe also with anti-inflamatory and anti-fungal) do your recommend for initial treatment? Ever since I read that gentamicin can cause hearing loss and it's still a popular ear treatment, I've been really worried about putting things in my dogs ears. Then I can't say for certain my dog's eardrums are intact and pretty much every product comes with warnings to not use in that case. animax ointment or posatex are what has been recommended to me but not sure if safe in every case.

What kind of at-home remedy might be good for ear problems? How safe are those? I'm talking like vinegar, alcohol, etc.

In my personal experience, sex is like a drug. It gives pleasure during sex, and then there's discomfort (withdrawals) when going without. After some time the body gets used to no sex. Do you think sexual relations with dogs is a net positive for them? Or does it just take pleasure from other times for the orgasm, making it no better than abstinence?

If a human does not fit in a female dog when she's in estrus, what are your thoughts on the ethics of gradually stretching her? I think that even though all dogs are different, the bigger the dog the more likely a human is to fit. I recommend for anyone looking to adopt a female dog with sex in mind to look for giant breeds so it is less likely for for there to be size issues. Is that a good recommendation?

Last edited:
How can I check if my dog's eardrum is water-tight with a human otoscope? He's particularly cooperative.
If the eardrum is ruptured, sometimes you can see little bubbles of air forming around it as the dog breathes in and out, since the ear canal now communicates with the nasal cavity. I can take advantage of this communication in the clinic by putting fluorescent orange dye called Fluorescein in the ear canal that glows under black light. If I see it running out your dog's nose, the tympanic membrane is ruptured.

You’ve got to put the otoscope in and physically pull down a bit on your doggo’s ear to get past the turn in their ear canal to visualize things, and make sure the ears are clear first by cleaning them or you won’t see much but wax!
I know there are anesthesia-free dental cleaning services. How feasible is it for me to buy an ultrasonic scaler off Amazon and do dental cleaning myself with cooperative dogs? I already use a basic metal scaler on my dogs.
Veterinary dentistry isn’t tooth grooming–it’s professional medical evaluation of the mouth and teeth. Dental disease is one of the number one issues in the canine population in the US right now, and good dental care is impossible to cut corners on. It’s great to take good care of your dog’s teeth between visits, but you cannot properly clean every side of every tooth, above and below the gum line, probe for pockets, x-ray suspect areas, etc without anesthesia. Clinics that advertise themselves as doing “anesthesia free dentistry” are ripping you off for a quick buck and shouldn’t be supported–clients think they are caring for their dog’s teeth, but without full evaluation, any problems are simply allowed to persist and get worse, causing the poor dog pain and making the eventual solution more drastic once they are finally diagnosed. Additionally, I’ve taken care of at least one dog who sustained a jaw fracture from an “anesthesia free” cleaning – not stress free for the dog by any stretch of the imagination. In my opinion, anesthesia free dental cleaning should be against the law for clinics to actually advertise and offer.
For heartworm and hookworm prevention, I use durvet ivermectin sheep pour-on dewormer and squirt it in their throat. Is that the right kind of ivermectin for dogs? What is the correct dosage for that? Is this the new type of ivermectin that does not cause toxicity in certain dogs?
You should swap to an oral formulation specifically for dogs. Pour on has a concentration formulated for sheep hair follicle and skin density which is too high for oral dosage in dogs. The dose of pour on is about 40 times higher than the dose for canine oral use, so it’s much easier to overdose them.
What is the best way to keep a great dane away from injuries on their back paws? It seems there are no cones long enough for them, especially since the cone slides down their long neck and their back paw can stick into the cone.
E collars are a necessary evil, but I still try to use them as rarely as possible. One of my pet peeves is folks who give you back your dog in a cone tied with stretchy gauze! It slips off, isn’t very secure, and generally doesn’t work. Best option is to thread a collar through the straps and tighten it snugly–that should keep it in place much better. Nose wise, you are correct it has to extend beyond their muzzle. They also make a collar called No Bite that works like a rigid plastic band that keeps your dog’s head from bending. You could also try covering or bandaging the back paw–we have vet wrap that tastes terrible–to keep them off the injuries without needing a collar.
What kind of ear broad-spectrum ear antibiotic (maybe also with anti-inflamatory and anti-fungal) do your recommend for initial treatment? animax ointment or posatex are what has been recommended to me but not sure if safe in every case.
This is one of those questions where you will get different opinions from asking different vets–there are so many ear cleaning and treatment products out there it’s overwhelming! Posatex is a good choice, but ultimately I can’t recommend a specific one without knowing what you have in your area, and what your vet stocks as available. Keep in mind, too, if the ear inflammation and infection is bad enough, your vet may want to put your doggo on an anti-inflammatory dose of steroids to calm it down as well as potentially systemic (in the circulation) antibiotics rather than just topical.

It’s going to be different based on if you have an active bacterial ear infection vs routine cleaning. You should avoid using antibacterial stuff long term for routine cleaning, as you will build a population of resistant bacteria within the ear canal that may not respond to the same specific antibiotics in the future. With Danes you are going to be dealing with lots of ear and skin issues!
What kind of at-home remedy might be good for ear problems? How safe are those? I'm talking like vinegar, alcohol, etc.
Routine ear cleaning works really well with a 25% vinegar solution – had that recommended by a veterinary dermatologist and I have been pleased with how well it works. There aren’t any home solutions that I know of that work against active bacterial infections, though, so pull out science for those.
In my personal experience, sex is like a drug. It gives pleasure during sex, and then there's discomfort (withdrawals) when going without. After some time the body gets used to no sex. Do you think sexual relations with dogs is a net positive for them? Or does it just take pleasure from other times for the orgasm, making it no better than abstinence?
I think dog’s deserve all the pleasure we can provide for them! Masturbation is a normal part of the animal behavioral repertoire for wild animals as well as dogs, who are capable of happily living all the other aspects of their life to the fullest–I wouldn’t worry about sexual stimulation somehow detracting from other parts of their lives. Data wise, dog’s are also much more enriched in pretty much any activity when doing it together with their human–sex is no different, and a really special unique way we zoos can further relate to our wonderful companions.
If a human does not fit in a female dog when she's in estrus, what are your thoughts on the ethics of gradually stretching her? I think that even though all dogs are different, the bigger the dog the more likely a human is to fit. I recommend for anyone looking to adopt a female dog with sex in mind to look for giant breeds so it is less likely for for there to be size issues. Is that a good recommendation?
That’s a great recommendation. You would hope that folks adopting dogs and not eventually fitting would respect them and not push the issue, but that isn’t always the case, so your position is a sound one.

Tubal ligation is absolutely a sterilization method that can be successful. It’s just not taught in many vet schools—to learn it, you have to have a personal interest in reproductive medicine and seek the extra training necessary to successfully perform it. Since it’s not as fashionable in vet med circles to question routine spay and neuter as overpopulation control methods, there’s no reason apart form personal physician motivation to learn how to do it.
Thanks for the reply. For some reason, I always thought that it was not valid or as effective for animals because they tend to produce more eggs and have drastic changes during estrus. If I am not mistaken, some vets have already started to practice vasectomy in male animals, so I always wondered why tubal ligation was so unheard of. It is definitely more humane and seems to have less complications than spaying or even OSS.

I am baffled about the talk about tubal ligation.
Deagle113 write that vets are not educated in doing this.
I know about women.
And in women a tubal ligation is a much less extensive surgery than removing uterus and ovaries. Well, ovaries removal almost only when cancer.
And the same in men. To cut and ligate the vas deferens = vasectomy, is a small and quick surgery performed in local anaesthesia, which I have performed many times.
When it comes to humans, I always recommended that the man was sterilised, because it is quick done and as mentioned much easier too. And all in all it is a more extensive procedure in a woman and she has to have a full anasthesia too.

Great question!

I don’t think there should be “master” lines when in a relationship with another species. You’re taking in another creature and deciding to share your life with it.

Sure, dogs depend on you for food and pretty much everything else, as well as guidance as they grow (if you start with a puppy) in how to be good citizens of society. But that relationship doesn’t need to come with artificial constraints on animal free will and choice just because you are the human.

For example: there are some good situations where it’s good to teach your dog to heel on a walk and be right beside you. But you don’t need him to heel and never stop and sniff anything at all because you “want to exercise.” That’s denying autonomy simply for your own desires, and it’s something thousands of people who walk their dogs do every day.

Dogs relate to the world through their noses—not sniffing while on a walk is like you going for a stroll and keeping your eyes closed the whole time.

So much of the rhetoric around “being the dogs alpha” is in error, and not rooted in canine behavior or knowledge, and draws from falsified research on wolves done by a scientist during WWII looking to establish a “scientific” basis for racial dominance that justified killing other people—if your dog has sex with you you aren’t somehow loosing your alpha status if you never had it to begin with.

No more “pretending to eat the dog bowl because I have to show him who is boss before he gets dinner.”

Don’t worry at all about blurring the lines. Become a student of canine behavior instead, and pay attention to all your companions little quirks. Teach them impulse control, how to relate well to humans and other animals, fill their lives with multiple different kinds enrichment, and as long as both of you are enjoying yourselves, have as much sex as you want! ❤️
The researcher I believe you are referring to also later disproved his own theories (This was during the earliest days of wolf research) and then tried to request the publisher stop publishing false information, but they refused to pull his book from the shelves. The entire alpha male concept permeated society and yet no one in academia takes it seriously as a form of describing wolf or canine behavior at all. The same is true in the equine community where they talk about "lead stallions" which is pretty highly inaccurate as well.

Dogs erections are multifaceted and depend on having a variety of different pieces.

Responding to the prostatic stimulation of poop to different degrees, (the colon runs directly on top of the prostate) combined with having a baculum and the position dogs take to do so is responsible for the erections seen during that. Without the physiologic necessity of stimulation at the base of the bulbis glandis, full erection and orgasm won’t be possible—all of the neural signaling just isn’t there in the intact loop necessary to trigger the physiology.

Additionally, in larger dogs the prostate is simply too far back to reach anyway with a human penis. I can’t even feel it on rectal examination for routine wellness exams with an index finger, and I’ve got longer fingers!

My official opinion on male human on male dog anal (not the other way, obviously) is that there are a precious few dogs who actively enjoy it, and a whole lot who tolerate it with acclimation. Dogs also tolerate other stuff they may not initially like, such as tooth brushing and ear cleaning. Even though technically it isn’t harmful, I think we humans can reason our way into a variety of tenuous conclusions, especially when they rely on cross species communication with the strong motivator of sexual satisfaction.

I think sex should be mutually engaging for both rather than tolerated by one partner, and I would be concerned that the thought process behind convincing oneself a dog enjoyed anal sex when he was simply tolerating it could cause further misinterpretation of the canine/human bond. I think the case for canine anal sex should be examined very carefully before conclusions are made.

Here's the video

View attachment 1000030502.mp4

Screenshot.jpg

Great question!

☝️👆☝️👆☝️👆☝️👆☝️👆

You should swap to an oral formulation specifically for dogs.
Are there any you recommend that are in bulk and low-cost? I am comfortable with subcutaneous injections if there is no oral product that match.

Pour on has a concentration formulated for sheep hair follicle and skin density which is too high for oral dosage in dogs. The dose of pour on is about 40 times higher than the dose for canine oral use, so it’s much easier to overdose them.
I have been giving this to my dogs for years now and I'm hoping to find out if I have been messing that up, even if I switch to a dog-specific product. I looked inside the label and found where it says mg ivermectin per mL, and then looked up the dosage of ivermectin that is given in heartguard for the size of dogs I have, and then used that to find the mL of sheep ivermectin to give my dogs orally. I do give them a very tiny amount. The directions for it are below from this link.
Drench may be used in any standard drenching equipment or in any equipment which provides a consistent dose volume. Administer orally at a dose of 3.0 mL (2.4 mg ivermectin) per 26 lbs body weight or 200 mcg ivermectin per kilogram of body weight. Coughing may be observed in some animals during and for several minutes following drenching.

Posatex is a good choice, but ultimately I can’t recommend a specific one without knowing what you have in your area, and what your vet stocks as available.
Is animax ointment also a good choice? Are any of the ingredients ototoxic or might cause hearing loss?

You could also try covering or bandaging the back paw–we have vet wrap that tastes terrible–to keep them off the injuries without needing a collar.
What is this bandage called so I can buy it? I haven't had luck with bitter apple spray so I'm not sure repellants work on him. Is this one better than bitter apple?

Veterinary dentistry isn’t tooth grooming–it’s professional medical evaluation of the mouth and teeth.
I understand. The more I can maintain them myself the more often they will get that care and the more I can bring issues to my vet that I recognize myself. I can't let perfect be the enemy of good. Right now my dog's teeth have plaque on them and I'm trying to up my dental game. Taking all of my dogs for dental cleanings, x-rays, and pre-anesthesia bloodwork / possibly chest x-rays is daunting financially and beyond, so I will do that more gradually. What is the best I can do for them now given that I'm already comfortable with non-ultrasonic dental scaling, brushing, basic dental theory, and willing to learn new tools?

That’s a great recommendation. You would hope that folks adopting dogs and not eventually fitting would respect them and not push the issue, but that isn’t always the case, so your position is a sound one.
Thanks! Did you have any thoughts on the ethics of gradually stretching a dog? If not that's okay.

Last edited:
I have been giving this to my dogs for years now and I'm hoping to find out if I have been messing that up, even if I switch to a dog-specific product. I looked inside the label and found where it says mg ivermectin per mL, and then looked up the dosage of ivermectin that is given in heartguard for the size of dogs I have, and then used that to find the mL of sheep ivermectin to give my dogs orally. I do give them a very tiny amount. The directions for it are below from this link.
I've never had anyone ask this, so I spent a while reading and looking at toxicity data as well as formulations of different types of drug -- my gut reaction was to recommend the dog dosage, and I still do for folks who feel uncomfortable making drug calculations, or prefer the convenience of giving their dog a chewable that also controls fleas. However, based on the data that I could find, and polling colleagues, as long as you make sure the dosage is correct, you are perfectly safe dosing sheep ivermectin for dogs, especially larger ones where the amount is easier to draw up precisely--the drug is the same in both forms.
Is animax ointment also a good choice? Are any of the ingredients ototoxic or might cause hearing loss?
One of the ingredients is Neomycin sulfate, which can be ototoxic to dogs without intact tympanic membranes.

What is this bandage called so I can buy it? I haven't had luck with bitter apple spray so I'm not sure repellants work on him. Is this one better than bitter apple?
It's called Bitter Bandage. I would say it works on about 80% or so of my patients -- if you rip off the bandage with determination and don't mind the bitter taste (like a husky I treated recently) dogs can still work around it. What about a sock that's fastened at the top? I'll keep brainstorming more solutions -- I don't treat a lot of great danes (wish I did, they are wonderful dogs), so don't have a lot of practical advice on their dimensions! I'll see if I can get some input from colleagues from school whose patient population includes more of them and report back.
I understand. The more I can maintain them myself the more often they will get that care and the more I can bring issues to my vet that I recognize myself. I can't let perfect be the enemy of good. Right now my dog's teeth have plaque on them and I'm trying to up my dental game. Taking all of my dogs for dental cleanings, x-rays, and pre-anesthesia bloodwork / possibly chest x-rays is daunting financially and beyond, so I will do that more gradually. What is the best I can do for them now given that I'm already comfortable with non-ultrasonic dental scaling, brushing, basic dental theory, and willing to learn new tools?
No I totally understand, and am not trying to make you feel like you are making the wrong decision for your companions -- you've already gone above and beyond a lot of people when it comes to dental care, and are taking excellent care of your doggos. Have you looked into pet insurance? With enough dogs, it can make sense--it can cover routine care and preventatives as well.

You've covered the best you can possibly do for them without anesthesia. There aren't any additional preventative or care things I would recommend for them apart from a dental cleaning. I can't comfortably recommend doing anything more involved because it's considered practicing veterinary medicine, and illegal in just about every US state without a license!
Thanks! Did you have any thoughts on the ethics of gradually stretching a dog? If not that's okay.
Keep it consensual. Just going for it with the expectation that "someday she will enjoy this more" doesn't sit right with me, since our express purpose is to care for and love dogs and not put sexual gratification ahead of their comfort, and dogs have no concept of "delaying gratification."

Pairing gradual gentle stretching within reason with actual stimulation for her or something else she enjoys would be the way to go about it -- keeping in mind that she will relax more as she gets used to things back there and possibly fit you without additional input. Additionally, some canines will simply be too small, or have abnormal vaginal confirmation -- there's plenty of additional fun and intimate things to do without actual penetration.

Here's the video
If you check the black dog you can see supplication licks from an animal that would rather not be there. Additionally, fully aroused dogs also increase the width of their penis and I'm not seeing that in the video either. Are those dogs voluntarily choosing to stay there? We wouldn't know, since both of them are being held pretty securely. I don't think that video proves anything. Again, without stimulation behind the bulbis glandis no dog is going to orgasm, and that's not in the video either.

I spent a while reading and looking at toxicity data as well as formulations of different types of drug
I appreciate that! I didn't know that "ivermectin" could mean different things for different products. How can I know if the active ingredient is the same when doing the kind of drug math that I did?

as long as you make sure the dosage is correct, you are perfectly safe dosing sheep ivermectin for dogs, especially larger ones where the amount is easier to draw up precisely
If you have time/are able to, can you give me a dosage so I know if I was doing it right?

I've never had anyone ask this
Aside from dog prescription pills that are costly, is there a more "normal" bulk ivermectin product to use?

One of the ingredients is Neomycin sulfate, which can be ototoxic to dogs without intact tympanic membranes.
Is Positex used for dogs without intact tympanic membranes? It does have the "Do not use in dogs with known tympanic perforation." warning but I'm not sure how vets use it. If not what do vets use in these cases? I suspect one of my dogs might have an issue with his membrane and the rest are unknown. They might let me examine them that way but I'm sure the vet would need to do a sedated procedure to check.

Thanks for everything.

If you check the black dog you can see supplication licks from an animal that would rather not be there. Additionally, fully aroused dogs also increase the width of their penis and I'm not seeing that in the video either. Are those dogs voluntarily choosing to stay there? We wouldn't know, since both of them are being held pretty securely. I don't think that video proves anything. Again, without stimulation behind the bulbis glandis no dog is going to orgasm, and that's not in the video either.
Thank you glad to finally get confirmation on this! I missed the licks but then again I could never bring myself to watch it very closely for that long as it was always obvious to me what was going on, which 99% of the male zoos always couldn't, or just didn't want to, see. In fact whenever I complained about this video in the DSI (yah the abuse-free DSI) telegram zoo groups all of the zoos would always be adamantly insisting I was wrong and to drop it, even long-time, respected "ZETA" zoos! Now that I have backing by a zoo vet on this I can set this bullshit straight once and for all and get this video banned and educate these people. This is just more proof that a better system of anti-abuse education for zoos is still so badly needed in these communities and that the current thread system with endless pages of replies to sift through isn't working.

@pes can this reply by Deagle be sent to all DSI group admins and this video put on the ban list?

I've never had anyone ask this, so I spent a while reading and looking at toxicity data as well as formulations of different types of drug -- my gut reaction was to recommend the dog dosage, and I still do for folks who feel uncomfortable making drug calculations, or prefer the convenience of giving their dog a chewable that also controls fleas. However, based on the data that I could find, and polling colleagues, as long as you make sure the dosage is correct, you are perfectly safe dosing sheep ivermectin for dogs, especially larger ones where the amount is easier to draw up precisely--the drug is the same in both forms.

It's called Bitter Bandage. I would say it works on about 80% or so of my patients -- if you rip off the bandage with determination and don't mind the bitter taste (like a husky I treated recently) dogs can still work around it. What about a sock that's fastened at the top? I'll keep brainstorming more solutions -- I don't treat a lot of great danes (wish I did, they are wonderful dogs), so don't have a lot of practical advice on their dimensions! I'll see if I can get some input from colleagues from school whose patient population includes more of them and report back.

No I totally understand, and am not trying to make you feel like you are making the wrong decision for your companions -- you've already gone above and beyond a lot of people when it comes to dental care, and are taking excellent care of your doggos. Have you looked into pet insurance? With enough dogs, it can make sense--it can cover routine care and preventatives as well.

You've covered the best you can possibly do for them without anesthesia. There aren't any additional preventative or care things I would recommend for them apart from a dental cleaning. I can't comfortably recommend doing anything more involved because it's considered practicing veterinary medicine, and illegal in just about every US state without a license!

Keep it consensual. Just going for it with the expectation that "someday she will enjoy this more" doesn't sit right with me, since our express purpose is to care for and love dogs and not put sexual gratification ahead of their comfort, and dogs have no concept of "delaying gratification."

Pairing gradual gentle stretching within reason with actual stimulation for her or something else she enjoys would be the way to go about it -- keeping in mind that she will relax more as she gets used to things back there and possibly fit you without additional input. Additionally, some canines will simply be too small, or have abnormal vaginal confirmation -- there's plenty of additional fun and intimate things to do without actual penetration.

I kinda wish more zoos would use the "pleasure-stretching" method I've used for years with bitches that works great. I've detailed it in a prior post, where I explain using clitoral masturbation to insert the finger and stretch particularly during their pelvic thrusting action then quickly releasing as soon as they turn around or move away (or blast off around the room in bitchgasm mode). Within 1-3 weeks depending on the bitch, they're typically ready and very willing.

Let’s get this train that has forcibly been derailed back in the tracks, shall we?

Discussion is excellent as long as nobody is engaging in straw man arguments or name calling or anything, but if you’d like to continue on this topic, let’s start an additional thread just in case someone on here has a veterinary question I can answer!

Let’s get this train that has forcibly been derailed back in the tracks, shall we?

Discussion is excellent as long as nobody is engaging in straw man arguments or name calling or anything, but if you’d like to continue on this topic, let’s start an additional thread just in case someone on here has a veterinary question I can answer!
Hey Deagle, now the off-topic was cleared haha, could you comment on this please? https://www.zoovilleforum.net/threads/fem-dog-anatomy-pics-from-zv1.262/post-2613611

Also, my dog finally entered her cycle, after 18 months, could have been that the other one or two were silent cycles? I noticed a few days ago that her vulva grown a little and that she was more hungry, and yesterday she started with a regular red bright watery discharge. I was a little worried since the first discharge the day after was only a thick and big dark red/brown drop.

I was just about to take her to a third vet, since the second one last week told me I must take her to a specialist in canine reproduction, since she could do ultrasound but maybe can't see if anything is wrong.

Back