Verses

SigmaTheZeta

Esteemed Citizen of ZV
The point of this game is to keep producing verses, preferably in "iambic pentameter" form, and let's see if some of us, working together, can produce a real poem or at least a few couplets. All the most powerful poetry in history is written in iambic pentameter. It starts with the sing-song pattern of tetrameter poetry, that which is the most widely used in music, but then it adds a sort of "punch." Shakespeare's poems and most of his plays used the same meter.

Iambic pentameter works this way. If you understand syllable stress, it is based on that. The word "today" is usually pronounced with the stress on "-day," not on "to-", so it's a word that follows an "iambic" pattern. However, when we are thinking about "iambic pentameter," it could still be iambic pentameter if all of the words had different numbers of syllables in them, such as "amazingly, I found my dog a vet." That sentence follows iambic pentameter.

However, remember that it's okay to sometimes have two un-stressed syllables next to each other. In fact, most of Shakespeare's plays, in spite of them being based on iambic pentameter, really had a mixture of different forms for each verse. It's okay to have lots of variance. The point is to make it sound good.

So here is the name of the game, again. Make a single-verse poem, preferably in iambic pentameter. If you can, find a way to link it with the last one to make a couplet, but if you want to make one that stands on its own, that's also okay.

That wonderful and precious dog I loved

Back