Uncertain whether specific breeds are big enough.. please help if you can !

Aionfort

Lurker
There's probably tons of similar topics but I felt it deserved its own thread, but feel free to direct me to a proper thread if you think there is one.

I would love your guys' feedback on this to ease my anxieties:

I am debating on getting a cute husky girl (puppy) and I'm wondering if once the time comes and we both grown to love each other and desire more... whether she would be large enough.. it would be very painful (for me) to fall in love and spent beautiful 3 years with my girl to end up not being able to go further in our relation..

I'm not that small. (Best guess about 14-16cm is the biggest circumference...)

From what I've gathered here huskies are hit and miss with sizes.. and before I even start raising one and falling in love.. I'd rather think hard about maybe alternative breeds that catch my attention.

The second breed I'm in love with are GSD's but they arent that much bigger either... and might be hit and miss too...
Would those be a good bet or still too risky?

And then theres malamutes.. are they similar hard to raise as huskies? or easier? I'd have to look it up, but they get pretty big no?

The only other breeds that appeal to me (from the largest ones) would maybe be a leonberger or leonberger mix.
Or st bernard or bernard-mastiff mixes or bernese mountain dogs..

They're all pretty dogs but they do not give me the same shiver as a beautiful husky would.. not even GSD's do.. they're very close though... but love comes with time as well I guess? And then breed may not even matter anymore.

All this is definitely making me very anxious for the future for me and my partner in love.

Are there any beautiful large breeds you guys like especially much? My love goes for girls with middle to long hair, I do not like short hair at all sadly.

I should maybe add that I am from around DE/NL/BE so maybe specific breeds are easier to obtain here that might be a good thing to keep in mind too.

EDIT: A few more questions about size: Can girls generally accommodate a few cm more after a while of fingering?
In other words, can you loosen her precious area?

Last edited:
it would be very painful (for me) to fall in love and spent beautiful 3 years with my girl to end up not being able to go further in our relation..

If having sex with your dog is the only way you could be happy with having one then please don't get one. Even if you get a breed that's "large enough" you have to remember that she's a living creature with a mind and desires of her own and she may never "be into you" that way. Would your 3 years spent loving her be any less "wasted" then or could you still love her for the wonderful companion she is?

When I got my Golden Retriever as an 8 week old puppy I very much hoped to engage sexually with him when he grew. 9 years later I was never able to get him to respond sexually, but that has in no way diminished the wonderful years together. I still love him as much as I would have if he'd been fucking my ass this whole time.

If you wouldn't be able to say the same thing, please don't get an animal.

Last edited:
If having sex with your dog is the only way you could be happy with having one then please don't get one.
Would your 3 years spent loving her be any less "wasted" then or could you still love her for the wonderful companion she is?
Just trying to have the best possible relation with my love.. can you blame me for thinking of this?
The ability to increase my chances for a even better relation is definitely something I'll use...

Last edited:
If having sex with your dog is the only way you could be happy with having one then please don't get one. Even if you get a breed that's "large enough" you have to remember that she's a living creature with a mind and desires of her own and she may never "be into you" that way. Would your 3 years spent loving her be any less "wasted" then or could you still love her for the wonderful companion she is?

When I got my Golden Retriever as an 8 week old puppy I very much hoped to engage sexually with him when he grew. 9 years later I was never able to get him to respond sexually, but that has in no way diminished the wonderful years together. I still love him as much as I would have if he'd been fucking my ass this whole time.

If you wouldn't be able to say the same thing, please don't get an animal.
i cant agree more, if you consider your non-sex time with her being wasted or requiring a sexual reward, please dont get a dog, or even any pet at all

i cant agree more, if you consider your non-sex time with her being wasted or requiring a sexual reward, please dont get a dog, or even any pet at all
Already had a dog for many years as kid/teen and many cats.. and I loved them dearly, has anyone of you even read my posts properly... There is nothing written in my posts that would speak against unconditional love in fact I'm trying to have the best possible relationship.. stop pretending I'm just out for one thing..

spent beautiful 3 years
Why only 3 years? What do you mean?

You seem like a very sweet an soft guy, I might be wrong about that, but I really do not recommend a german shepherd for you.
Yes, GSDs are also sweet and can be soft, but they are a lot to handle most of the time. Even "the softest of them all" - the white shepherd, tends to have that typical aggression german shepherds have.
Every GSD I've seen or heard about has it. Ausnahmen bestätigen die Regel.
I own a white shepherd, while he's a softie, he still has his temper tantrums.
From my experiences, I wouldn't even recommend the white ones to people who do not know german shepherds at all, since they can be quite complicated.
But, if you want a shepherd, go with a white one and TRAIN. IT. GOOD. Fear aggression is also an aggression and can lead to biting, just like real aggression. A white shepherd without structure, security and socialization WILL be fear aggressive. Because it still is a shepherd.

I also own a german shepherd (working line) you really do not want that as a simple companion.

Before I got my white boy, I really wanted a Leonberger! Even though they are big, they are known for being extremely friendly and easy to train. I once had the opportunity to meet a breeder and their dogs. They are huge! But soooo soft and cute.
If I wanted a large friendly dog, I'd get a Leonberger. I really love them.

If you want a husky, get ready for stubbornness and running, riding bike, etc.
Prey drive so bad, that you cannot have that dog offleash EVER. Yes, many huskies have to be on leash for their entire lifes.
A well bred, healthy husky will stay fit when other dogs start to suffer from old age. That means excersize is required for probably more than 10 years.
But I dunno dude. You gotta decide what you want in life and how hard you want it to be.

I've chosen my dogs regardless of their size for sex, but I looked for what I want to live with for 10+ years.
My life with two shepherds isn't easy, but it's something I like and I can't wait to get a third shepherd in the future.
Chose wisely, not sex driven.

For once a constructive reply, thanks a lot!

If you want a husky, get ready for stubbornness and running, riding bike, etc.
Prey drive so bad, that you cannot have that dog offleash EVER. Yes, many huskies have to be on leash for their entire lifes.
Indeed, I researched them for many months and met quite a few in that time as well, I feel like I am prepared, obviously not for everything, no one can be, but I have a pretty good idea of what I would be getting in to, same as for

I've chosen my dogs regardless of their size for sex, but I looked for what I want to live with for 10+ years.
sheps, I had just as much contact with these fellas, granted not as much as with huskies.

I wouldn't get a normal GSD though, I'd get a old-german one.

I've chosen my dogs regardless of their size for sex,
As I outlined, that is merely one of the many concerns... and since I have the choice why would I not take that into consideration. Be honest here... this site is clearly in for that too.. and everyone denying that is a hypocrite. Even the replies in this thread mentioned they tried it so clearly they were in for that too.

Anyway, I am basically dead set on huskies/old-german sheps and leonbergers, the only thing that will in the end decide which one I'll get is how I feel and the availability.
Granted I am primarily interested in old-ger sheps, which aren't the biggest of the three either so..

EDIT: It's also a lot of talk about "boys" in terms of dogs.. male dogs have more temper than female ones, the female ones tend to be way softer and easier to train.. so also keep that in mind.

Last edited:
It's also a lot of talk about "boys" in terms of dogs.. male dogs have more temper than female ones, the female ones tend to be way softer and easier to train.. so also keep that in mind.
That's actually pretty individual. I've experienced males to be A LOT softer, but yes, they seem to be a little bit harder to train.
I personally love the way male dogs are. They are kind of stubborn and try to break rules and commands more often but they are just little marshmallows inside. My female has a hard shell and is also hard inside, she obeys like a soldier and is pretty "sharp" in general. But her bloodlines also play a role.

Long and dark fur is way sexy, but keep in mind that ticks are hard to find in and on there, while their number seems to be increasing around here due to rising temperatures in the last years. For me, it's more important to have my girl sleep in my bed with me whenever she likes (and i definitely don't want any ticks in there), so I subordinate the look and prefer short and light fur.

Back