To shave or not to shave

sizzlestud

Tourist
Hey everyone. I am curious who all shaves there equines for the summer and who doesn't. In the mainstream equine world this seems to be more controversial than i thought and i am interested in your opinions. Some say not to shave as the extra hair protect from flies, other say shaving keeps northern animals who have trouble shedding cooler in the summer and less stressed.
I do a combo of both. My miniature donkey and a few others get shaved most years as they do not shed until labor day. They enjoy it when they get shaved and seem to be much less stressed and sweaty. All the horses and mules shed out on their own so there is no need to shave them. I have never experienced a difference in flies bothering the shaved ones vs unshaved but i also keep my paddocks quite clean.

Well as someone who has thick hair and gets mighty hot in the spring and summer if I do not shave my head I can just imagine what those poor critters feel like with it all over their bodies. I would opt to shave them if their coats tend to get to thick especially in warmer climates. I have had many friends with horses and they would most often shave them. It tends to be the friendly humane thing to do. Also as you say if you keep a clean house the flies are not an issue. if they are one can always get the fly pests to control them. I had some friends that would do this every spring and put them on their manure pile and their never was fly issue. Fly pest can be purchased at most farm stores and you just put them on droppings or wherever you store your manure. The little pest work year round and their larva kill fly larva. A shaved horse is also a svelt, beautiful horse. Also my thick haired kitty Tim would agree shaved in the summer is the thing to be.

Back