Tick control and fluids

Hi, vet med here. Oral flea/tick preventatives like Credelio are very safe and effective when it comes to killing ticks after they bite before they are capable of spreading Lyme disease to your dog. I would HIGHLY suggest taking your dog to the vet to have a 4DX test ran 6-8 weeks post tick bite based on the number of ticks you are pulling off your dog

So, all of a sudden the ticks are quite bad. Over the last week I've killed probably ten of them on my boy. I'm hesitant to get a systemic antiparasitic medication or a chemical collar. And you can't just ask the vet 'oh by the way, will this make the cum im guzzling from this dog toxic?' One of the sprays at a local pet shop says that if it gets on an article of clothing, that clothing is 'contaminated'. If it's that bad, why the hell would I put it on the dog? Wouldn't the dog then be 'contaminated'? He's next to my skin just like clothing.
Surely there has to be a good option that doesn't make contact with the animal toxic, or his semen toxic (or taste of chemicals)? What are you guys doing? I've heard those chemical collars can cause burns on the skin, and I recall the ones we used on our cats stunk like crazy.
Same problem. I think you have the smaller ticks with the mottled whire marking center of shell, which would be dog ticks which are terrible this year.

Deer ticks carry lyme. Dogs ticks scarlet fever
Nope. Scarlet Fever is bacterial, spreads from person to person. ROCKY MOUNTAIN SPOTTED FEVER is tick borne, anaplasmosis, borellia, and six or eight others are as well.

has the known list including powassan, the newest threat

Ticks with light mottled markings are probably lone star ticks

Last edited:
Nope. Scarlet Fever is bacterial, spreads from person to person. ROCKY MOUNTAIN SPOTTED FEVER, is tick borne, anaplasmosis, borellia, and six or eight others are as well.

has the known list including powassan, the newest threat

Ticks with light mottlef markings are probably lone star ticks
You are right. Got my wires crossed

Screenshot_20230713_054721_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230713_054704_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230713_054641_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20230713_054635_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230713_054704_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230713_054704_Chrome.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230713_054602_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230713_054602_Chrome.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230713_054635_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230713_054635_Chrome.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230713_054616_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230713_054616_Chrome.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230713_054721_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230713_054721_Chrome.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20230713_055052_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230713_055052_Chrome.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 1
Same problem. I think you have the smaller ticks with the mottled whire marking center of shell, which would be dog ticks which are terrible this year.

Ticks with light mottlef markings are probably lone star ticks

There are a variety of species with light mottled markings, not even all from the same genus. For a good tick ID, a hand lens and a good identification key are handy or post clear images and a general location, since some species are more prevalent in certain locations. It's easy to confuse a Dermacentor variabilis (Dog Tick) with an Amblyomma maculatum (Gulf Coast Tick) for instance and they are vectors for different diseases; the former is more prevalent over more of the US/Canada (east of the Rockies) than the later, which is why location can help greatly in narrowing down the species.

Since males and females typically have different markings, since the "shield" or scutum covers the entire back of male hard ticks, but only covers about 1/3 of the back of females (you can see this in side-by-side images of male and female and makes determining males from females much easier) it is often easier to ID once you know which sex it is.

There are subtle details that allow identification, typically involving the scutum (a "shield" on the back), festoons (scallops on the trailing edge of the body), and palps/hypostome(mouthparts), so one needs to pay close attention to the identifiers. Also, not all ticks have eyes, but some can "see" with an organ on their front feet (Haller's organ)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Giving these people more than they will bother digesting is a waste of time. I included a link which offers all they need to know IF they can be bothered reading. Arguing with me is a waste of yours. Enjoy your day.

Last edited:
Is it just that you wish to argue or do you have another agenda?

Giving these people more than they will bother digesting is a waste of time. I included a link which offers all they need to know IF they can be bothered reading. Arguing with me is a waste of yours. Enjoy your day.

Not sure if this is directed at me, if so, my intent isn't to argue, just sharing information and clarifying things as I understand them. None of us (myself included) are experts at everything and I reply to you because you add useful information and I'm just trying to add more when I have it. If that upsets you, Im sorry as it has never been my intent and if you ask me to I'll stop as my intent is not to be a dick or to harass you, it just seems you post into threads I also find interesting; perhaps that means I find what you say interesting as well.

I tend to look at threads as recepticles of information and discussion and I often find myself looking at old ones, here and elsewhre, and I presume others do too. I put the info here for those who do have an interest, it might not always be the person I'm replying to or even those active in the thread, but I reply to give context for what I'm adding.

Last edited by a moderator:
And also I got a question, what's the place with the most ticks ? The farms ?
Usually where their vector critters csrry them....ixodes species are vectored by birds, mice and deer in that order....Others may have different host-chains, but if birds are one, the worst places are around feeders or plants like sunflower and thistle which offer food.

Ticks usually DROP onto a target creature; their MO is usually to climb up a plant stem and wait til something warm and breathing comes along.They can sense C02 and body heat like a little guided missile ....once on a host, they will.make their way to a less accessible area, where the host cannot scratch, attach themselves and start sucking. They often have an anti-coagulant saliva thst keeps the blood flowing....this is how they pass diseases around.

Farm animals are too tall to be a target. Sheep are not, but ticks will have a difficult time with thick wool coats.

Not sure if this is directed at me, if so, my intent isn't to argue, just sharing information and clarifying things as I understand them. None of us (myself included) are experts at everything and I reply to you because you add useful information and I'm just trying to add more when I have it. If that upsets you, Im sorry as it has never been my intent and if you ask me to I'll stop as my intent is not to be a dick or to harass you, it just seems you post into threads I also find interesting; perhaps that means I find what you say interesting as well.

I tend to look at threads as recepticles of information and discussion and I often find myself looking at old ones, here and elsewhre, and I presume others do too. I put the info here for those who do have an interest, it might not always be the person I'm replying to or even those active in the thread, but I reply to give context for what I'm adding.
Got it....sometimes its hard to tell.

Usually where their vector critters csrry them....ixodes species are vectored by birds, mice and deer in that order....Others may have different host-chains, but if birds are one, the worst places are around feeders or plants like sunflower and thistle which offer food.

Ticks usually DROP onto a target creature; their MO is usually to climb up a plant stem and wait til something warm and breathing comes along.They can sense C02 and body heat like a little guided missile ....once on a host, they will.make their way to a less accessible area, where the host cannot scratch, attach themselves and start sucking. They often have an anti-coagulant saliva thst keeps the blood flowing....this is how they pass diseases around.

Farm animals are too tall to be a target. Sheep are not, but ticks will have a difficult time with thick wool coats.
I did once find a tick in the hollow under the jaw of a mare who had bit in. Obviously he got on her while she was grazing.

I did once find a tick in the hollow under the jaw of a mare who had bit in. Obviously he got on her while she was grazing.
Or fell off a bird. Or a taller branch
...Ticks are not smart, per se, but the strategy works. How are ya?

Back