Tick control and fluids

Knotpockets

Tourist
So, all of a sudden the ticks are quite bad. Over the last week I've killed probably ten of them on my boy. I'm hesitant to get a systemic antiparasitic medication or a chemical collar. And you can't just ask the vet 'oh by the way, will this make the cum im guzzling from this dog toxic?' One of the sprays at a local pet shop says that if it gets on an article of clothing, that clothing is 'contaminated'. If it's that bad, why the hell would I put it on the dog? Wouldn't the dog then be 'contaminated'? He's next to my skin just like clothing.
Surely there has to be a good option that doesn't make contact with the animal toxic, or his semen toxic (or taste of chemicals)? What are you guys doing? I've heard those chemical collars can cause burns on the skin, and I recall the ones we used on our cats stunk like crazy.

I use the chemical collar.
It is questionable, how healthy it is for a dog, but my reasoning is that these have been used for decades and if they were significantly toxic for animals or humans, it would be known.
His cums does not taste any different and I have not grown a third arm yet.
Though if that is about to happen, I would prefer a second set of testicles. More cum, more fun.

It is questionable, how healthy it is for a dog, but my reasoning is that these have been used for decades and if they were significantly toxic for animals or humans, it would be known.
Though if that is about to happen, I would prefer a second set of testicles. More cum, more fun.
Confucius say man with four balls cannot walk?

• Haha
Reactions: pes
Ticks are a problem different than most...there are a number of different types. What are yours? it nakes a difference in treatments.

Last edited:
No idea, I just pull them off and hit them with a hammer... I am in the northwest if that helps. I just know a lot of systemic medications rely on making the blood a poison for the parasite.

Northwest is no help....Are they big, tiny? Got a lot of birds around? Mice? Birds and mice and Deer are all vectors as well as other small mammals. Identifying them is the first step....next one you find take a pic and post it in animal health. Ill see what I can tell you.

All the systemics are toxic, but they are dosed by bodyweight. That said, unless your dog outweighs you its less of a problem than it might be. But there are other ways....including pulling them yourself....Petco has a little green item that looks like a claw hammer, which will act as a jack to pull them from close to the skin. Mouthparts pulled that way aren't likely to break off and stay in the critter.. theres another puller that does the same thing that looks like a poptop from a soda can. Either is fine, and they run about 6 bucks.

Smacking them with a hammer isnt recommended even though theres a certain satisfaction in it... that blood might splash on you, and there is a potential for picking up a nasty that way. Depending on what theyve been biting, several forms of things like Lyme disease, tick fever, spotted fever meningitis and some others are possible. A better method when pulling them is a bowl of hot water with a couple of drops of soap....I like Dawn...but most work...use what you have. Pull them and drop them in the soapy water....they will sink to the bottom. If it doesnt seem like theyre dead...flush them soapy water and all.

Last edited:
Do you seriously want that every time you walk xP ?

Attachments

• 200w.gif
    200w.gif
    720.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Haha
Reactions: pes
And also I got a question, what's the place with the most ticks ? The farms ?
Nope...suburban backyards in range of coastal flyways. Migrating birds cary them from place to place and back again. The ixodes tick is particularly mobile because of this.

Second testicles are even fun for a partner too. More to play with and gently fondle.

You won't get sick from treating your dog with systemics no matter how much of his fluids you're exposed to. They're studying repurposing the systemics for use in people, seems quite safe so far. Won't affect the taste either, unless you get one of the actual topical products in your mouth before they dry out which takes a couple of hours.

You should ask a local vet what products are recommended in your area given the type of ticks where you are, they should also be able to adress any concerns you have regarding toxicity. If he's getting that many ticks and they're prone to carry diseases, your probably better off with a monthly systemic +/- a topical/collar. Tick collar by itself won't be very effective.

[ Foreword: I think @OffgridK9lover , @Keepinitlowkey and maybe even @Bloodwolf and @UR20Z need to see this post, as well as a slew of other friendly faces from the toxic masculinity thread, and homesteaders in general. Because I know the CO2 traps and flamethrower build part, middle-to-bottom, is gonna tickle 'em just right 🔥 😆 ]

I'm hesitant to get a systemic antiparasitic medication or a chemical collar. And you can't just ask the vet 'oh by the way, will this make the cum im guzzling from this dog toxic?'

I'd had this exact same concern for a number of years about using spot-ons or oral tablets: "I don't want to dump chemicals on my dogs that poison their blood". Also, like you, my next fear was "What if its present in the semen or vaginal secretions that I enjoy consuming?"

But 2022 hit my farm hard in a number of ways, and I had to embrace some modern chemical warfare in addition to old-fashioned fire. And I'm talking controlled burns with diesel there. I literally built a flamethrower out of a retrofitted backpack tank sprayer, a Harbor Freight torch head kit, and 4 gallons of diesel at a time. More on that later. Sadly, I lost a lot in '22, but I'll spare you the detail. Among last year's hardships was a dark period I've come to refer to as 'The Tick War'. From that ordeal, I've learned a lot about them, and I'm happy to share with y'all.

One of the first things to understand about spot-ons and tablets is that they do not, in fact, poison the blood. Likewise, the tick is not 'poisoned' by taking a blood meal from the dosed animal. Instead, via a process called dermal translocation, the insecticide compounds spread from the shoulder / tailhead application site to become present on the skin's surface over time, being secreted by the dog's sebum (oil) glands. Translocation and establishment into the sebum takes about 15-30 days after administration although some products (and some dogs) will show results sooner, ie. you may observe adult ticks dropping off as early as week 1. This is why dosing schedule (frequency) becomes important -- so that you don't run the sebum gland's storage dry of the meds and have to start (wait) for the cycle to restart. The ticks then come in contact with the insecticide compound as they crawl on the body against that skin, and again when they (incidentally) ingest it as they pierce the skin for a blood meal. Also noteworthy, is to get as much product as possible onto the skin, not the fur. Translocation only works for what contacts the skin -- any liquid up on the fur is wasted. If you have a heavy-coated breed, clip or shave a spot of the fur out where you apply. Do what you must to make it down to skin.

As for mode of action, all the prominent compounds, from spot-ons like permethrin to fipronil, all the way up to the RX oral chews like afoxolaner, fluralaner and sarolaner, and even over to the non-pet stuff like cans of Raid for wasps/hornets, nearly all of these are neurotoxins of one order or another. They basically make the targeted insect lose CNS control, resulting in anything from seizures & spasms, to paralysis. It is believed that they ONLY affect the nervous system of insects, not higher animals. The compounds acutely disrupt the insect's normal activity, eg. feeding, reproduction, or bodily control, so that they'll drop off the dog and die soon after. Some have quicker knockdown than others, so it could be minutes or days depending on what product we're talking about. I'd have to dig in my notes, but iirc, it is believed that any trace amounts (<1%) actually entering the dog's blood are trivial, ineffective against a higher animal's CNS, and are easily filtered out by liver, spleen etc., to be passed out in urine like any other inert foreign matter.

Background: I own a small homestead, mostly wooded. I'd say about 2/3rds of my acreage is old-growth mature dense woods. My dog pack stands at 6. All of mine are large breeds with varying coat thicknesses, from pit bull to GSD to Pyrenees/St Bernard. Ticks are easy to pick off a pit, impossible on the pyr/saint, and somewhere in the middle for the rest. I also have hogs and a donkey, and at the time of the Tick War, I had cattle too. My hog pen and some of the auxiliary animal pens are in those woods, so yeah, you can imagine 'tick' is a real four letter word around here. For a few years, I would strap on a 4 gallon sprayer and spend a few solid days covering 7200+ sqft of pens and perimeter with pesticide, because I didn't want to put anything on the dogs. Broke my damn back trying to keep this place sprayed and keep the animals untainted by chemicals. I sprayed a mix of permethrin for the adulticide component, with Nyguard in the tank for an IGR (Insect Growth Regulator, synthetic hormone that breaks the life cycle in earlier stages, egg -> nymph).

For the early years, it worked great on fleas, eradicated them entirely. Been 100% flea-free a few good years now. For awhile it worked on ticks too. But by 2022 it was failing on the latter. Fleas are frail; ticks are much heartier. My hypothesis is that I'd unwittingly created a wave of permethrin-resistent ticks. Unlike a pest control professional, I didn't understand the importance of rotating chemicals so that the targeted pests don't develop resistance! By spring of '22 the problem kept getting worse until my animals were covered in ticks. They spread everywhere on this farm, rapidly. A few animals came down with Lyme. They were on me, in the home, in the bed, everywhere. I couldn't even pay pest control to come out and deal with it -- they wouldn't take the job, said the acreage is too many sqft to cover.

Left to my own devices, to come to my own rescue as usual, this is where I got both medieval and scientific. In the early efforts at combating this, I bought all the chemicals I could lay hands on. Cleared the shelves. Plus various volume/bulk orders from DoMyOwn (in TX, you don't need a pest control license to buy the same chemicals in the same concentrations the pros use). Wettable powders, broadcast sprays, you name it, I had it all. But egg nests were still hatching, birthing new waves of tiny red seed ticks that swarmed my animals, draining blood. They were too tiny to pick off at this life stage and the adults were forming a damn crust lapped over ears, eyes, muzzles, between toes, underarms, etc. It got disgusting and horrible, quick. Baths, dips, and me picking off by hand into jars of my homemade tick brine were only triaging it, not resolving it.

I took hiatus from my then-job and went to war. With all the chemicals arrived and inventoried, I setup a makeshift lab in the hog barn. On bucket lids, I laid napkins impregnated with various insecticides & IGRs at different mixing concentrations. I collected live samples of ticks off the dogs and deposited them on the napkins, wrapping and trapping them in contact with the chemicals. I kept a detailed log book, observing motility, and noted how long it took each to die.

The short end of my lab experiment results? Nothing worked. What little did work, wasn't working fast enough (taking days, not hours) and wasn't even getting me a complete 100% kill anyway, even after a full week one! That included the most expensive chemicals the pros use -- even these were still leaving too many ticks alive! This is where my permethrin-resistence theory evolved, since nearly everything you buy is pyrethroid-based. I needed their survival rate at 0% and pesticides weren't getting me there.

Out of time and money, with a back breaking from innumerable gallons strapped to me and weeks of spraying to no avail, with no exterminator calvary coming and no new chemical avenues to try, I fell back on something old-fashioned nobody thought would work... and it worked beautifully. What was this miracle solution? Fire. And ice. I was about to setup coops for ongoing guinea predators too, but as it turns out I didn't need to.

See, ticks are attracted to CO2. All of their host animals exhale it including humans, so ticks evolved to follow our CO2 trails. Not gifted with flight, nor ground-jumping capability like fleas, they can only travel by "questing", which is to climb up anything available (fences, trees and other vegetation etc), swing their bodies out, stretch their free legs, and wait. They wait for a host to brush past them so they can hitch a ride and take a blood meal. When the females are full, they drop off, molt to the next life stage, re-quest, re-feed on blood, then drop a final time to lay eggs. It is this CO2 tracking and questing behavior that you can exploit the fuck out of, to kill the motherfuckers.

How? Here's your shopping list: a few blocks of dry ice, equivalent number of cheap 'soft-shell' styrofoam coolers, a jerry can of diesel, a backpack tank sprayer with full metal wand and aerator tip set to spray a broad, coarse mist not narrow jet stream. Plus a torch head kit from Harbor Freight, the one in the welding aisle that has a few feet of hose and an assortment of flame heads. Drill holes in the coolers and lay the dry ice blocks in them. Now you've got a handy portable tick trap: the dry ice coolers will give off CO2 thru the bored holes as it sublimates (melts). The CO2 clouds will draw and collect ticks en masse overnight. Set your traps next to something tall, straight, and fire-retardant like a wire fence, or in a copse of mature trees with brush, ornamentals or some other vegetation you don't care about. Metal mesh fences are best eg. woven wire, chain link or barb -- you're gonna want that fire retardency for what comes next. Because what comes next is revenge. And revenge on ticks who've hurt or killed your dogs is fun as fuck.

Clip a torch head to the end of the sprayer's metal wand for a pilot light; run the hose to your cylinder. Me, I hung my cylinder from the hammer loop on my tool belt. Strap four gallons of diesel on your back, pump the tank good and hard with pressure so you get that distance in your mist-stream. Got a free hand? Good, stick a beer in it. Then you man the fuck up and light that pilot. Give the trigger a few test shots against something inconsequential. If your wand tip aerator is set just right, you should get an atomized mist of fuel, same as an injector pulse. And when that diesel hits that torch pilot, WHOOOSH -- flame front! Ride it, rope it, powerstroke it.

Oh yeah, that's right: now I have a flamethrower, you fucking little disease-carrying shits from hell. And I know what you love best: carbon dioxide.

Anyway. The CO2 trap coolers set next to something tall will gather the ticks and get them into questing mode, where they hang there indefinitely on the fence in droves, waiting for a host to brush by. Except this time... what's coming for them ain't a host dog. Its you, with your diesel flamethrower. And your beer.

So it went. Over the summer into autumn of '22, I did what amounts to a controlled burn on this farm. Up the fences, up the trees, over every square inch of ground in the barn, in the animal pens, under anything they could've laid egg nests in, everywhere. While y'all were chilling in your A/C? I sprayed fire in the heat wave of 2022. In a classic, severe, Texas 100yr drought. In 110F degrees, having just emerged from a 104F covid fever, I was out on my land, doing a by-hand controlled burn. I held the flamethrower in one hand and a garden hose in the other to keep anything that caught from getting away from me (the beer was break time, lol). Alone, no helpers as usual out here, I eradicated the fucking tick plague as an army-of-one. Permethrin resistant? Perhaps. But not to diesel fire, no you ain't.

Also, some other handy bits of random tick knowledge germane to this thread:

- The soap & water trick is only effective against fleas, not ticks -- although I will say that its very effective against fleas, giving a quick knockdown. For the same rapid knockdown time in ticks, you can make a different aqueous-solution favorite of mine using 1 part each of isopropyl alcohol, bleach, and antiseptic mouthwash, all common household items you'll already have on-hand. Put about 1/2" of that in the bottom of a mason jar, it don't take much. I dubbed my recipe simply "tick brine", and its very handy for dropping live ticks into when you need to pick them off a dog. They will die in the brine within a minute or so. The hammer approach is also useful and fun, as is burning with a lighter or torch til they do the popcorn thing 😈

- Pyriproxyfen, imidacloprid, and a few other adulticides & IGRs are only effective on fleas, not ticks. Possibly s-methoprene too, can't remember. It gets confusing since so many off-the-shelf products are marketed as a one-stop solution for both pests. But when you need to tank-mix your own custom blends of these things, or when you don't want to throw the kitchen sink at your dogs and start medicating for problems they don't have, or you get selective in purchasing something to aggressively target one and only one pest, that's when the listed efficacies become an important distinction. So make sure you understand the difference between adulticides and IGRs. Read fine prints carefully and use a product that is actually listed for the insect species and lifecycle stage you're targeting. Some of these compounds are specific all the way down to genus and species, ie. one compound may only be effective (or significantly more/less effective) against a brown dog tick R. sanguineus but not deer tick Ixodes scapularis, and I believe this is where Saddlebum was leading with questions about region of the country, distinctive markings on ticks, etc. Do some identification to figure out what you have.

- The dog & cat products are not effective on horses, hogs and other large livestock. Mature cattle weigh north of 1200 lbs. Pigs have very dense, tough muscle and skin tissue and mine weigh north of 700 lbs so there's no way to get enough of that product in them. If you have large animals who need parasitic insect control, you're looking at external spray or pour-ons. A rancher friend of mine recommended a very old, nearly-discontinued product called Phosmet or prolate/lintox. If you can find this locally around you, its gold. I can't say how safe it is; the shit smells nasty and you need gloves, but damned if it didn't work on the pigs, who already smell nasty anyway (y)

- Dosing schedule: most of the products are going to say every 30 days or every ~4 weeks on the package. While this is a good guideline and remains true even up to moderate infestations, there is some flexibility both ways: you can actually stretch this out a little further to something like every 1.5mos (5-6 weeks) for lighter control without running the sebum gland stores dry, and the inverse is also true, ie. they can be used more frequently eg. every 2 weeks for a brief period to combat severe, acute infestations if you're finding efficacy tapering off too soon.

- The Seresto collars I have no first-hand experience with but have been told they're useless, so you can skip collars and go to spot-ons. By now it should be obvious that anything which cannot make good skin contact, ain't gonna work. The spot-ons are superior. Fipronil or permethrin-based should work as both of those compounds are listed for ticks. Like a shelter or large kennel operation, you may even be able to buy the isolated, pure chemical (eg. fipronil) in bulk concentrations at something like DoMyOwn, water it down and parcel it out if you have a lot of dogs to dose where 3- or 6-packs of the pipettes or pill blister packs would be cost-inefficient. But that gets hairy with correcting the dosages and often doesn't include an IGR component.

Any questions, feel free to ask. Might take some digging but I probably have answers in all the lab notes I took during the Tick War.

[ Foreword: I think @OffgridK9lover , @Keepinitlowkey and maybe even @Bloodwolf and @UR20Z need to see this post, as well as a slew of other friendly faces from the toxic masculinity thread, and homesteaders in general. Because I know the CO2 traps and flamethrower build part, middle-to-bottom, is gonna tickle 'em just right 🔥 😆 ]

I'd had this exact same concern for a number of years about using spot-ons or oral tablets: "I don't want to dump chemicals on my dogs that poison their blood". Also, like you, my next fear was "What if its present in the semen or vaginal secretions that I enjoy consuming?"

But 2022 hit my farm hard in a number of ways, and I had to embrace some modern chemical warfare in addition to old-fashioned fire. And I'm talking controlled burns with diesel there. I literally built a flamethrower out of a retrofitted backpack tank sprayer, a Harbor Freight torch head kit, and 4 gallons of diesel at a time. More on that later. Sadly, I lost a lot in '22, but I'll spare you the detail. Among last year's hardships was a dark period I've come to refer to as 'The Tick War'. From that ordeal, I've learned a lot about them, and I'm happy to share with y'all.

One of the first things to understand about spot-ons and tablets is that they do not, in fact, poison the blood. Likewise, the tick is not 'poisoned' by taking a blood meal from the dosed animal. Instead, via a process called dermal translocation, the insecticide compounds spread from the shoulder / tailhead application site to become present on the skin's surface over time, being secreted by the dog's sebum (oil) glands. Translocation and establishment into the sebum takes about 15-30 days after administration although some products (and some dogs) will show results sooner, ie. you may observe adult ticks dropping off as early as week 1. This is why dosing schedule (frequency) becomes important -- so that you don't run the sebum gland's storage dry of the meds and have to start (wait) for the cycle to restart. The ticks then come in contact with the insecticide compound as they crawl on the body against that skin, and again when they (incidentally) ingest it as they pierce the skin for a blood meal. Also noteworthy, is to get as much product as possible onto the skin, not the fur. Translocation only works for what contacts the skin -- any liquid up on the fur is wasted. If you have a heavy-coated breed, clip or shave a spot of the fur out where you apply. Do what you must to make it down to skin.

As for mode of action, all the prominent compounds, from spot-ons like permethrin to fipronil, all the way up to the RX oral chews like afoxolaner, fluralaner and sarolaner, and even over to the non-pet stuff like cans of Raid for wasps/hornets, nearly all of these are neurotoxins of one order or another. They basically make the targeted insect lose CNS control, resulting in anything from seizures & spasms, to paralysis. It is believed that they ONLY affect the nervous system of insects, not higher animals. The compounds acutely disrupt the insect's normal activity, eg. feeding, reproduction, or bodily control, so that they'll drop off the dog and die soon after. Some have quicker knockdown than others, so it could be minutes or days depending on what product we're talking about. I'd have to dig in my notes, but iirc, it is believed that any trace amounts (<1%) actually entering the dog's blood are trivial, ineffective against a higher animal's CNS, and are easily filtered out by liver, spleen etc., to be passed out in urine like any other inert foreign matter.

Background: I own a small homestead, mostly wooded. I'd say about 2/3rds of my acreage is old-growth mature dense woods. My dog pack stands at 6. All of mine are large breeds with varying coat thicknesses, from pit bull to GSD to Pyrenees/St Bernard. Ticks are easy to pick off a pit, impossible on the pyr/saint, and somewhere in the middle for the rest. I also have hogs and a donkey, and at the time of the Tick War, I had cattle too. My hog pen and some of the auxiliary animal pens are in those woods, so yeah, you can imagine 'tick' is a real four letter word around here. For a few years, I would strap on a 4 gallon sprayer and spend a few solid days covering 7200+ sqft of pens and perimeter with pesticide, because I didn't want to put anything on the dogs. Broke my damn back trying to keep this place sprayed and keep the animals untainted by chemicals. I sprayed a mix of permethrin for the adulticide component, with Nyguard in the tank for an IGR (Insect Growth Regulator, synthetic hormone that breaks the life cycle in earlier stages, egg -> nymph).

For the early years, it worked great on fleas, eradicated them entirely. Been 100% flea-free a few good years now. For awhile it worked on ticks too. But by 2022 it was failing on the latter. Fleas are frail; ticks are much heartier. My hypothesis is that I'd unwittingly created a wave of permethrin-resistent ticks. Unlike a pest control professional, I didn't understand the importance of rotating chemicals so that the targeted pests don't develop resistance! By spring of '22 the problem kept getting worse until my animals were covered in ticks. They spread everywhere on this farm, rapidly. A few animals came down with Lyme. They were on me, in the home, in the bed, everywhere. I couldn't even pay pest control to come out and deal with it -- they wouldn't take the job, said the acreage is too many sqft to cover.

Left to my own devices, to come to my own rescue as usual, this is where I got both medieval and scientific. In the early efforts at combating this, I bought all the chemicals I could lay hands on. Cleared the shelves. Plus various volume/bulk orders from DoMyOwn (in TX, you don't need a pest control license to buy the same chemicals in the same concentrations the pros use). Wettable powders, broadcast sprays, you name it, I had it all. But egg nests were still hatching, birthing new waves of tiny red seed ticks that swarmed my animals, draining blood. They were too tiny to pick off at this life stage and the adults were forming a damn crust lapped over ears, eyes, muzzles, between toes, underarms, etc. It got disgusting and horrible, quick. Baths, dips, and me picking off by hand into jars of my homemade tick brine were only triaging it, not resolving it.

I took hiatus from my then-job and went to war. With all the chemicals arrived and inventoried, I setup a makeshift lab in the hog barn. On bucket lids, I laid napkins impregnated with various insecticides & IGRs at different mixing concentrations. I collected live samples of ticks off the dogs and deposited them on the napkins, wrapping and trapping them in contact with the chemicals. I kept a detailed log book, observing motility, and noted how long it took each to die.

The short end of my lab experiment results? Nothing worked. What little did work, wasn't working fast enough (taking days, not hours) and wasn't even getting me a complete 100% kill anyway, even after a full week one! That included the most expensive chemicals the pros use -- even these were still leaving too many ticks alive! This is where my permethrin-resistence theory evolved, since nearly everything you buy is pyrethroid-based. I needed their survival rate at 0% and pesticides weren't getting me there.

Out of time and money, with a back breaking from innumerable gallons strapped to me and weeks of spraying to no avail, with no exterminator calvary coming and no new chemical avenues to try, I fell back on something old-fashioned nobody thought would work... and it worked beautifully. What was this miracle solution? Fire. And ice. I was about to setup coops for ongoing guinea predators too, but as it turns out I didn't need to.

See, ticks are attracted to CO2. All of their host animals exhale it including humans, so ticks evolved to follow our CO2 trails. Not gifted with flight, nor ground-jumping capability like fleas, they can only travel by "questing", which is to climb up anything available (fences, trees and other vegetation etc), swing their bodies out, stretch their free legs, and wait. They wait for a host to brush past them so they can hitch a ride and take a blood meal. When the females are full, they drop off, molt to the next life stage, re-quest, re-feed on blood, then drop a final time to lay eggs. It is this CO2 tracking and questing behavior that you can exploit the fuck out of, to kill the motherfuckers.

How? Here's your shopping list: a few blocks of dry ice, equivalent number of cheap 'soft-shell' styrofoam coolers, a jerry can of diesel, a backpack tank sprayer with full metal wand and aerator tip set to spray a broad, coarse mist not narrow jet stream. Plus a torch head kit from Harbor Freight, the one in the welding aisle that has a few feet of hose and an assortment of flame heads. Drill holes in the coolers and lay the dry ice blocks in them. Now you've got a handy portable tick trap: the dry ice coolers will give off CO2 thru the bored holes as it sublimates (melts). The CO2 clouds will draw and collect ticks en masse overnight. Set your traps next to something tall, straight, and fire-retardant like a wire fence, or in a copse of mature trees with brush, ornamentals or some other vegetation you don't care about. Metal mesh fences are best eg. woven wire, chain link or barb -- you're gonna want that fire retardency for what comes next. Because what comes next is revenge. And revenge on ticks who've hurt or killed your dogs is fun as fuck.

Clip a torch head to the end of the sprayer's metal wand for a pilot light; run the hose to your cylinder. Me, I hung my cylinder from the hammer loop on my tool belt. Strap four gallons of diesel on your back, pump the tank good and hard with pressure so you get that distance in your mist-stream. Got a free hand? Good, stick a beer in it. Then you man the fuck up and light that pilot. Give the trigger a few test shots against something inconsequential. If your wand tip aerator is set just right, you should get an atomized mist of fuel, same as an injector pulse. And when that diesel hits that torch pilot, WHOOOSH -- flame front! Ride it, rope it, powerstroke it.

Oh yeah, that's right: now I have a flamethrower, you fucking little disease-carrying shits from hell. And I know what you love best: carbon dioxide.

Anyway. The CO2 trap coolers set next to something tall will gather the ticks and get them into questing mode, where they hang there indefinitely on the fence in droves, waiting for a host to brush by. Except this time... what's coming for them ain't a host dog. Its you, with your diesel flamethrower. And your beer.

So it went. Over the summer into autumn of '22, I did what amounts to a controlled burn on this farm. Up the fences, up the trees, over every square inch of ground in the barn, in the animal pens, under anything they could've laid egg nests in, everywhere. While y'all were chilling in your A/C? I sprayed fire in the heat wave of 2022. In a classic, severe, Texas 100yr drought. In 110F degrees, having just emerged from a 104F covid fever, I was out on my land, doing a by-hand controlled burn. I held the flamethrower in one hand and a garden hose in the other to keep anything that caught from getting away from me (the beer was break time, lol). Alone, no helpers as usual out here, I eradicated the fucking tick plague as an army-of-one. Permethrin resistant? Perhaps. But not to diesel fire, no you ain't.

Also, some other handy bits of random tick knowledge germane to this thread:

- The soap & water trick is only effective against fleas, not ticks -- although I will say that its very effective against fleas, giving a quick knockdown. For the same rapid knockdown time in ticks, you can make a different aqueous-solution favorite of mine using 1 part each of isopropyl alcohol, bleach, and antiseptic mouthwash, all common household items you'll already have on-hand. Put about 1/2" of that in the bottom of a mason jar, it don't take much. I dubbed my recipe simply "tick brine", and its very handy for dropping live ticks into when you need to pick them off a dog. They will die in the brine within a minute or so. The hammer approach is also useful and fun, as is burning with a lighter or torch til they do the popcorn thing 😈

- Pyriproxyfen, imidacloprid, and a few other adulticides & IGRs are only effective on fleas, not ticks. Possibly s-methoprene too, can't remember. It gets confusing since so many off-the-shelf products are marketed as a one-stop solution for both pests. But when you need to tank-mix your own custom blends of these things, or when you don't want to throw the kitchen sink at your dogs and start medicating for problems they don't have, or you get selective in purchasing something to aggressively target one and only one pest, that's when the listed efficacies become an important distinction. So make sure you understand the difference between adulticides and IGRs. Read fine prints carefully and use a product that is actually listed for the insect species and lifecycle stage you're targeting. Some of these compounds are specific all the way down to genus and species, ie. one compound may only be effective (or significantly more/less effective) against a brown dog tick R. sanguineus but not deer tick Ixodes scapularis, and I believe this is where Saddlebum was leading with questions about region of the country, distinctive markings on ticks, etc. Do some identification to figure out what you have.

- The dog & cat products are not effective on horses, hogs and other large livestock. Mature cattle weigh north of 1200 lbs. Pigs have very dense, tough muscle and skin tissue and mine weigh north of 700 lbs so there's no way to get enough of that product in them. If you have large animals who need parasitic insect control, you're looking at external spray or pour-ons. A rancher friend of mine recommended a very old, nearly-discontinued product called Phosmet or prolate/lintox. If you can find this locally around you, its gold. I can't say how safe it is; the shit smells nasty and you need gloves, but damned if it didn't work on the pigs, who already smell nasty anyway (y)

- Dosing schedule: most of the products are going to say every 30 days or every ~4 weeks on the package. While this is a good guideline and remains true even up to moderate infestations, there is some flexibility both ways: you can actually stretch this out a little further to something like every 1.5mos (5-6 weeks) for lighter control without running the sebum gland stores dry, and the inverse is also true, ie. they can be used more frequently eg. every 2 weeks for a brief period to combat severe, acute infestations if you're finding efficacy tapering off too soon.

- The Seresto collars I have no first-hand experience with but have been told they're useless, so you can skip collars and go to spot-ons. By now it should be obvious that anything which cannot make good skin contact, ain't gonna work. The spot-ons are superior. Fipronil or permethrin-based should work as both of those compounds are listed for ticks. Like a shelter or large kennel operation, you may even be able to buy the isolated, pure chemical (eg. fipronil) in bulk concentrations at something like DoMyOwn, water it down and parcel it out if you have a lot of dogs to dose where 3- or 6-packs of the pipettes or pill blister packs would be cost-inefficient. But that gets hairy with correcting the dosages and often doesn't include an IGR component.

Any questions, feel free to ask. Might take some digging but I probably have answers in all the lab notes I took during the Tick War.
permethrin works well but has a rather short half-life and as it stands right now is getting expensive with the supply.

called Phosmet or prolate/lintox.
Be damned careful with that shit - For us critters with a backbone, organo-phosphates are some pretty serious bad news, and they're fat-cumulative toxins, which makes 'em REALLY sneaky. Get some today, and maybe you get a little bit of the bad news. Get some more next week, and you still might not notice much of anything. Keep repeating, and eventually, you start noticing you're going whole-body Micheal J. Fox - twitching, shivering, shake-rattle-and-rolling to one degree or another. At low enough doses, it's your basic "Canned Parkinson's Disease" - jitter and shake for a bit, but nothing overly bad. (But trust me... no fun...) Get too much and you start seizing. This is the point where flies start spinning in circles on their back. Get even more and you just plain stop breathing.

But that's just the "up-front" part of the fun - There's a "back room" side that goes with it... Maybe you haven't noticed diddly so far. All well and good... Until you start noticing "Oops, gettin' a bit of a gut going on... better push away the second helping of taters and gravy, go after the rabbit-food for a while, and start hitting the gym to get rid of it." That's when you've got hell to pay - Start dumping weight, and it puts the shit back into circulation, rather than (relatively) safely "parked" in your fat cells. Dump enough weight quick enough, and you may well be fucked to the moon - Be watching for the first "synthetic Parkinson's" symptoms - or worse if you go "full starvation" mode to get rid of the love-handles quicker - and be ready for a trip to the E.R. on short notice. Have the doc on speed-dial, and keep an atropine injector (same basic concept as an epi-pen, but more difficult to get hold of, and loaded with atropine rather than epinephrin ) on hand if you can get one. Sourcing it may well be the hardest part... I understand the military passes them out to their ABC (Atomic/Biological/Chemical) folks as part of their first-response kits to be used as an antidote for assorted nerve gasses, but in the civilian world, they're far from common.

They will die in the brine within a minute or so. The hammer approach is also useful and fun, as is burning with a lighter or torch til they do the popcorn thing 😈
You missed one method... Impalement. I know a guy who has a big candle with pins in it. When he takes one off he pins it on the candle. He said he does it that way because he knows they haven't crawled away. It seems effective.

I use topicals usually, but have used oral anti-tick meds (sarolaner). I have lived in a variety of places and have dealt with a number of different tick species.

Outside of preventing infested wildlife from gaining access to frequented areas the most effective solution I've used were a DIY version of "Tick Tubes", biodegradable cardboard tubes which hold permethin treated cotton balls. The purpose is so that small rodents will collect bits of the cottonballs for nesting material and in the process they get treated for ticks. Since young ticks are too small to bite humans and dogs, you kill them off before they can bite us. I've used this process at a number of sites and gotten good results, but it's a long game and must be maintained. Between these and the usual repellents on me and topicals on the dogs, we've managed to survive in heavily tick infested areas without getting bit all the time.

Yep! I remember those. Toilet paper tubes and cotton balls soaked in pesticide. Good way to dose the wildlife vector and fight on all fronts. While I didn't have occasion to try those on last year's infestation (too severe, would've taken too long to be effective and only fighting one vector), I've heard they do put a dent in the tick population--eventually. And I can attest that mice do indeed love to make bedding out of anything cottonball-like, eg. tearing up bits of my damn insulation. I've got a nice collection of fiberglass batts in the building materials pile I've been laying up for finishing the house, and they're wrecking it by attrition 🤬

Its also a problem if there are cats in the home...Still partial to the damminix style traps.
We use them regularly for most people. But out here the tick issue is extreme but so is chiggers and fleas. Spiders and midges being on the pain in the ass to deal with list.

Spiders are a vacuum thing....They have lungs, but cannot cough....so the dust in the bag or drum usually kills them rapidly. I like permethrin, as a rule, usually combined with methoprene. Cats are often a pain as far as treatment issues are concerned...Just have to be real careful if theyre present. At that point, Pyrethrins with the Methoprene is useful...Theres just no one size fits all deal with bugs...You dealing with biting midges?

Spiders are a vacuum thing....They have lungs, but cannot cough....so the dust in the bag or drum usually kills them rapidly. I like permethrin, as a rule, usually combined with methoprene. Cats are often a pain as far as treatment issues are concerned...Just have to be real careful if theyre present. At that point, Pyrethrins with the Methoprene is useful...Theres just no one size fits all deal with bugs...You dealing with biting midges?
No. they spring up off bodies of water and are a nuisance to people. We can treat for them around the home but as far as a stream bound body of water? Not so much. Same thing with docks. Spiders love them.

No. they spring up off bodies of water and are a nuisance to people. We can treat for them around the home but as far as a stream bound body of water? Not so much. Same thing with docks. Spiders love them.
Yep...was an issue up on the Susquehanna I had to deal with....the spiders go after the prey fliers that hstch out of the water....so around docks its an issue, early spring to the last warm fall days.What you can do is change the lighting and the lighting pattern.

Last edited:
Back