Suggestion: open photo content type to include WEBP

Puhp

Esteemed Citizen of ZV
WEBP is a superior compression format (lossless and lossy) developed by google to be a modern replacement for JPG and PNG, file sizes are smaller than comparative formats with similar quality, and supports transparency.

Techincal overview here

Webp is a total shit compression format.
I wasn't expecting such chapter and verse in a definitive discussion! :LOL:

PROS and CONS

Of course, WEBP is also what a lot of images online are being saved as, so - in hopes of increasing ease of use and reducing technical and administrative burden on users - might it be considered ?

Of course, WEBP is also what a lot of images online are being saved as
Only where google is forcibly asserting its proprietary shit, against the knownledge of those it's asserting it on. Just like webp's predecessor, heic. No person ever chose to have their android phone save an heic, and unless they actually know what a file format IS would never even knew it was doing it.

Neither can be opened by any image program without first resorting to an online converter to change them to a jpg/etc.

Web exclusive formats are the worst possible way you can save something. And do you really want to normalize any google proprietry file type?

Only where google is forcibly asserting its proprietary shit, against the knownledge of those it's asserting it on. Just like webp's predecessor, heic. No person ever chose to have their android phone save an heic, and unless they actually know what a file format IS would never even knew it was doing it.

Neither can be opened by any image program without first resorting to an online converter to change them to a jpg/etc.

Web exclusive formats are the worst possible way you can save something. And do you really want to normalize any google proprietry file type?

I get what you're saying, but - wtf.

Not sure if you read what I wrote: I'd like to reduce the burden of sharing stuff here, and allowing the filetype that many images are already in.

I'm not here to get into a nerdfight and argue over the merits of any given fileformat. ONLY to say that there are materials to post to the board that it would be nice if we could accept WEBP.

*shrug* Many images are already saved in WEBP, including animated gif style files. To share these, any potentially contributing board user needs to convert them to approved file types: WEBP to GIF or WEBP to JPG, or - even more work - pull a screenshot (PNG) (which adds fileweight).

This is a direct analogue to your "Neither can be opened by any image program without first resorting to an online converter to change them to a jpg/etc."

Anyone wanting to download WEBP and EDIT them has to go through a step anyway. Why put the burden on (the person who actually wants to use an existing filetype and SHARE) and contribute to the board, just to save the potential efforts of (the rare person who is downloading and opening images from the board in an image program and editing it). <- which sounds pretty creepy when you think about it.

ONLY to say that there are materials to post to the board that it would be nice if we could accept WEBP.

*shrug* Many images are already saved in WEBP, including animated gif style files. To share these, any potentially contributing board user needs to convert them to approved file types: WEBP to GIF or WEBP to JPG, or - even more work - pull a screenshot (PNG) (which adds fileweight).
Or they could refuse to save and continue to propagate such a file. If I try to save a file and it's webp the save dialogue instantly gets cancelled and I find a different file. Hell, the only place I've ever even encountered that is while trying to save directly out of a google image search result. Open the website and save from there and it's not a webp. Meaning google is converting it on the fly when they catalogue the web search, so you've already lost quality through an extra unnecessary forced file conversion.

Back