Still hurting from a childhood friend?

Yeah, kinda.

I grew up with my family dog. I must have been around 3-4 (there should be photos, I ought to look it up). He was just always there. I did consider him family. My parents and grandparents probably didn't cause they've had other dogs before.

And he died when I was 16-17ish. He was really old, almost blind and was getting thin. During his last months I went out of my way to spend extra time with him. But my family may have disposed of him when I was in a hiking trip. I don't know what happened cause I didn't have the courage to ask. They said he "just died" and I didn't press it any further. But it really made me so sad and angry, I never even asked where he's buried. If he is buried anywhere. Now the only people who could have known are dead too.

I've never fully gotten over it.

I'll never really get over it, how could I?

Yeah, kinda.

I grew up with my family dog. I must have been around 3-4 (there should be photos, I ought to look it up). He was just always there. I did consider him family. My parents and grandparents probably didn't cause they've had other dogs before.

And he died when I was 16-17ish. He was really old, almost blind and was getting thin. During his last months I went out of my way to spend extra time with him. But my family may have disposed of him when I was in a hiking trip. I don't know what happened cause I didn't have the courage to ask. They said he "just died" and I didn't press it any further. But it really made me so sad and angry, I never even asked where he's buried. If he is buried anywhere. Now the only people who could have known are dead too.

I've never fully gotten over it.

I'll never really get over it, how could I?
Ouch...

To be fair, I was stupid for not insisting to know where my dog is buried. So a bit of the pain is caused by my own idiocy.
We all have our own defense mechanisms. I wouldn't use the word stupid for something beyond your mental pain scale (in terms of magnitude).

To be fair, I was stupid for not insisting to know where my dog is buried. So a bit of the pain is caused by my own idiocy.
Sometimes knowing where they are hurried makes things hard. In my case Cupcake is buried under an oak tree on Hill Air Force Base housing. Where I am not in the Air Force nor military in general (asthma and epilepsy) I cannot go and visit his grave.

Sometimes knowing where they are hurried makes things hard. In my case Cupcake is buried under an oak tree on Hill Air Force Base housing. Where I am not in the Air Force nor military in general (asthma and epilepsy) I cannot go and visit his grave.
I'm sure something could be arranged if you talk to the right people.

I mean it's just an oak tree, not some secret new weapon storage facility.

We all have our own defense mechanisms. I wouldn't use the word stupid for something beyond your mental pain scale (in terms of magnitude).

Well yeah sure, but, technically all I had to do was speak before the clock ran out.

This thread makes me sad.
And respect this whole community a bit more. Seeing as you don't treat animals like toys... that's respectable. 👏
I said it many times before anyone who treats animals like toys isnt a normal human being , i would also mention (i dont think we have ppl like that here but still) ppl who buy a dog just because they have a house with a garden so they think they SHOULD get a dog , my next door neibours are like that , that dog wants attention caring love , not just a ball of food and water , when ever i go past there entrance that poor thing almost presses its head through the railing i put my hand in and pat him, all i can do . I had dogs pass away in the past and u can never get over it however peaceful and painless it is, for us who we see them as a family member its a sad day every year. I have read a few heart wrenching stories on this thread but also felt reassured that the most of us here love our 4 legged family members.

I know plenty of non zoos that think of their dogs as their kids so either way I guess. What pisses me off is when people do what your parents did "Well it is his time so do what you have too and call us when it is done." When it was Cupcakes time my parents let me sleep with him on the floor we both went to sleep and I woke up then started to cry.
I agree with you 100% thankfully most pl i know around me see there dogs as members of there family , most of them dont visit this site , if you know what i mean but i think the first thing is much much more important. I myself atm have a small female dog who i love like no other , a few years ago late night i was leaving , and she was sitting in front of the entrance on the street it was like -18C outside. It was shortly after my dog passed away i wasnt ready for another , but i couldnt leave her outside. I will never have anything sexual with her and still once i saw her i knew she is my dog , even in dogs i rarely see so much enthusiasm and open loving aproach to ppl like in her , sees a new face she great that person with the utmost joy and openness.

I lost my partner after 15 years a few weeks ago. After reading all your comments, it makes me feel better that I could share her last moments (my moving plans failed in the last year, and then I took a few days at work until I put her to sleep). I'm glad I could be there for her, taking her to the vet personally with my family, the vet almost made a ceremony there with candles and music while she did what she had to do, and then I buried her at her favorite place. Now I pay her a visit every weekend, and everytime I look pictures of her it makes me happy of how much we shared together, practically half my life and the best moments. :husky_happysmile:

Back