Still hurting from a childhood friend?

Hey there new around here a bit but just seeing if its common to miss an animal friend I had some 6 years ago that I still miss and being angry at myself for not having the strength to be there when they were sent across the rainbow bridge? I know I was young and naïve for not being there but i do miss him.

I mentioned a friend of mine in a different thread. I've been without her for ~7 years or so now, and while I believe she's happy on the other side of the rainbow bridge, the fact that she's gone still hurts immensely.

Hell finding a shoe box full of pictures of my GSD Cupcake is why I found this site. He and I had several years together from my 6th birthday until he passed shortly after my 16th. It has been 13 years now and when I found that shoe box with pictures and SD cards from different cameras, all those emotions came flooding back. You would have to be heartless to not feel bad.

Hell finding a shoe box full of pictures of my GSD Cupcake is why I found this site. He and I had several years together from my 6th birthday until he passed shortly after my 16th. It has been 13 years now and when I found that shoe box with pictures and SD cards from different cameras, all those emotions came flooding back. You would have to be heartless to not feel bad.
I got my pics of mine in my phone. I understand what you mean

I would say it's unavoidable. My girl is pretty smart tho and always manages to find her way into my dreams. Usually she replaces any coincidentally present dog or just downright shows up outta nowhere and will hijack the dream. It makes waking up a little rough sometimes, but I'm just glad I get to see her again

I'd say it is very normal. I lost my German Shepherd Chase twelve years ago. Instill think about all of the fun times we had both sexually and as friends and it brings a year to my eye.

A few weeks ago I found a CF card and it had pictures of him on there I hadn't seen before and it bought everything back to the surface again.

I was there when he slipped away, it was very sudden as one moment he was ok then he was incredibly ill the next. Still miss him horribly but I was pleased I got to see him again and honoured that I got to share my life with such a fantastic companion.

These are not pets or friends that we're talking about here, they were family members and lovers. If would be strange if we weren't torn up when they go. I've had couple of dreams about a special cat that died some years ago that were so real that I tell myself in the dream "This can't be a dream - you're right here and completely real" and it is wonderful even though I do wake up. I also try to remember that as long as I can remember and feel the love we shared he is still alive in my heart. This doesn't stop me from missing him, but does ease the pain some.

It's wonderful the way people here offer comfort to others they may know nothing about. Giving some real help to someone in distress is, for me, one of the most satisfying things I can do, something that makes me feel like I did something in my life that truly mattered.

My condolences to all here who have lost a loved one, no matter how long ago, and my thanks to all who have reached out to them.

Last edited:
You never really get over the loved ones you lost....doesn't matter how old you were or how long you had them....when a bond is formed...it's there forever even when they pass it never breaks or fades away...you learn to cope and try to remember all the best times....and the love you had. It's normal to miss it....I've had to say goodbye to many dogs I've loved...some I've fallen head over heels for....I never forget them or their momeories with me. I even see quirks of them in other dogs sometimes just a wonderful reminder to show they are still there and other dogs are as well to bond with and form the same loving bond over.

I still miss my first dog who passed more than 35 years ago. The worst part of losing him was that the vet would not let me stay with him as he passed. They took him away and put him a cage, to be put down at their convenience. I got away from that office and never went back.

Every so often, I'll run across an old photo album and flip through it. There he is, with his customary big Corgi grin. Hard to keep a dry eye seeing him there.

I still miss my first dog who passed more than 35 years ago. The worst part of losing him was that the vet would not let me stay with him as he passed. They took him away and put him a cage, to be put down at their convenience. I got away from that office and never went back.

Every so often, I'll run across an old photo album and flip through it. There he is, with his customary big Corgi grin. Hard to keep a dry eye seeing him there.
That’s horrible… I’m sorry for your loss ;-;

Im actually at the point where I ask myself... Why does the public hate interspecies especially to those who genuinely absolutely connect to each other
I have no idea, I once compared it to the past stigma of same sex couples, but was shot down because "animals can't consent" and to that I say bull shit. When night came and I closed the door with my fish tanks dim light I could see if Cupcake just laid there on his side he only wanted sleep, leg slightly raised and his tip out was a sign he wanted to get sucked off. If that isn't consent then what is?

I have no idea, I once compared it to the past stigma of same sex couples, but was shot down because "animals can't consent" and to that I say bull shit. When night came and I closed the door with my fish tanks dim light I could see if Cupcake just laid there on his side he only wanted sleep, leg slightly raised and his tip out was a sign he wanted to get sucked off. If that isn't consent then what is?
If my girl bit my neck and thrusted into me is that not consent...? I know this feeling too well

That's so sad. I can't blame you for never going back to that heartless vet. It almost put me in tears when I read your story.

This thread makes me sad.
And respect this whole community a bit more. Seeing as you don't treat animals like toys... that's respectable. 👏
It makes me sad too 😭

We had a dog when I was in HS that had to be put down (kidney failure), but they did it while I was at school. I came home and he was gone, with no idea any of this was going to happen. I was so upset I didn't get to say good bye and even more upset when i found out no one had stayed with him. I think about how scared he must have been and it tears me up. I had a dream about him later that week and it felt so real. It actually gave me some closure but I'll always miss him. 😞

It makes me sad too 😭

We had a dog when I was in HS that had to be put down (kidney failure), but they did it while I was at school. I came home and he was gone, with no idea any of this was going to happen. I was so upset I didn't get to say good bye and even more upset when i found out no one had stayed with him. I think about how scared he must have been and it tears me up. I had a dream about him later that week and it felt so real. It actually gave me some closure but I'll always miss him. 😞
Was he just a pet or more? Asking cause there are a few people (no names) that are on here just to better understand the community.

It's a normal thing I think. I still dream about my first bitch intermittently and miss her. Hard to say if it's because she was the first one, or maybe it's something special about her personality, but I'll keep her in my heart until my last day.

He was more to me
I know plenty of non zoos that think of their dogs as their kids so either way I guess. What pisses me off is when people do what your parents did "Well it is his time so do what you have too and call us when it is done." When it was Cupcakes time my parents let me sleep with him on the floor we both went to sleep and I woke up then started to cry.

Back