Spayed female sex information gathering

pes

Staff member
Having sex with a spayed female dog is a very common question here:

I propose the people with female dog experience write a comprehensive summary of what you can not do with a castrated female dog.
This would then be reworked into a single article, pinned in the how to section and sent to everyone asking this in the future instead of repeating the same information in each thread individually never giving the whole picture.

The female dog guide:
has a spayed section, but I find it lacking in terms of current knowledge. Nowadays we advise people to not have penetrative sex with spayed dogs.
Is it possible to have sex with a spayed bitch? (Feel free to see the rest of the conversation about this subject by scrolling down to the replies)
You are not going to have much luck with a bitch that has been spayed as a puppy because her sex organs will never fully develop. Vets say they can spay as early as 8 weeks old. If you are going to spay to prevent unwanted puppies and/or potential health problems, it's recommended you wait until after her second heat (and possibly even after she's had sex) to have the procedure done. Otherwise, it's going to be very challenging (if even possible) for her to be accepting and able to have intercourse.
@dogluver101 @FloofyNewfie @Oldman Can you have a look at this?

Last edited:
Various mods have repeated this information in various threads in various depths. I think having one complete resource would save quite a bit o work and preserve all the information you might not have time to rewrite every time someone asks this question.

I have a female fixed dane, she is no where near capable of having sex. She does love rubbings though. Spaying removes too much. Which is why from now on, they will get ovary sparing spays it is surprising how many vets actually do that surgery now. And vasectomies too.

Last edited:
My last dane was spayed around 2.5 years, maybe 3, we were sexually active for a bit before but I did not try anything for well over a year afterwards. She was receptive and accomodating. I explored carefully with fingers beforehand and when I felt it was safe we proceeded carefuly.
She enjoyed sex up until around 9 or 10, the root problem I think was mostly due to hip and back problems. Traditional ovariohysterectomy.

Was one other spayed bitch was with once, she had several litters of pups and also was sexually active; she was accomodating as well. She was around 35kg/80lb.

Sorry to hear of the aggressive spay @Oldman , some vets take more than others, but I agree with you on the OSS 100%.

I had my dog spayed recently after a delivery that still had stillborn puppies in her womb, until today I don't have the courage to watch the videos I recorded with her because I know it will make me deeply sad, But when I get home and find happiness her and seeing our puppies growing erases any bad feelings, by the way I prefer it not to have vaginal penetration I don't want to lose her, my best companion.

She enjoyed sex up until around 9 or 10, the root problem I think was mostly due to hip and back problems. Traditional ovariohysterectomy.

The information on the early menopause caused by full spaying is building to a great level. My local Vet had not heard of OSS until I asked for it, as the other local clinic that does do it had a 6 month wait on elective surgery. He went and read up on it and did a great job on the execution.

My previous Dane X was about 70-80lbs and was desexed after her second heat. We enjoyed nearly every day sex for 10 years. At age 10 she developed cruciate ligament issues related to spaying. At age 11 she developed incontinence issues related to spaying. Both immediately recognised by the Vet who did the full spay but at the time he did not articulate the future problems. 11 Years is a pretty good age for a great dane cross.

In a quick traditional spay they use as small a key hole for the surgery as they can. This removes both ovaries and most of the uterus but leaves the cervix in place. One because it is a natural barrier to infection and two the access they need to cut the cervix out requires too big of a key hole.

That means that any female desexed after her second heat and is fully developed should have no issues with sex with the averaged size man. Prior to second heat may lead to restrictions in size internally but I can't be sure.

Any bitch that has had pups and then been desexed should be fine.

With the OSS the older method was to leave one ovary as the driver of natural hormones but trim the uterus as short as possible and leave the cervix. This meant the girl would come into heat and be receptive to sex her entire life. But it left the possibility of Stump Pyometra which could be life threatening. She could have sex with any dog or person that would naturally fit as the cervix is intact.

With the newest OSS they leave both Ovaries and remove all of the uterus and the cervix. In most spaying procedures the length of the vagina is not modified as there is no reason too. In the new OSS the removal of all Uterus tissue means that the cervix is removed and the vagina shortened. Now knowing this was part of the new version of the procedure meant that I did not have to worry about stump pyometra but her vagina was going to be shortened. I asked the Vet what would happen if she was bred by a big dog while in season, he agreed that it is best to take the minimum amount of vagina and stitch it closed there just in case she was mounted and might be injured by a big dog. So according to the Vet if she was to meet a big dane boy while on heat they could mate with no consequences.

So given that a Dane might have a dick 12" long and I have seen smaller bitches with 10"-12" dildos, I am assured I am not going to hit bottom in my Dane X girl who weighs in at 130lbs.

So yes sex with spayed female dogs is fine as long as you ask first and be aware of her comfort.

Now that OSS is becoming the best way to spay you just want to ask before surgery to make sure they don't shorten the vagina too much as being in heat will attract randy males that will breed her and you want her to be safe.

Full desexing prior to first heat will leave the female incapable of sex as her organs never developed.

You see so many people on here thinking that all desexing is the same when in reality it is not. The new OSS avoids most of the dramas of desexing early and most of the issues of an ageing bitch.

The information on the early menopause caused by full spaying is building to a great level. My local Vet had not heard of OSS until I asked for it, as the other local clinic that does do it had a 6 month wait on elective surgery. He went and read up on it and did a great job on the execution.

My previous Dane X was about 70-80lbs and was desexed after her second heat. We enjoyed nearly every day sex for 10 years. At age 10 she developed cruciate ligament issues related to spaying. At age 11 she developed incontinence issues related to spaying. Both immediately recognised by the Vet who did the full spay but at the time he did not articulate the future problems. 11 Years is a pretty good age for a great dane cross.

In a quick traditional spay they use as small a key hole for the surgery as they can. This removes both ovaries and most of the uterus but leaves the cervix in place. One because it is a natural barrier to infection and two the access they need to cut the cervix out requires too big of a key hole.

That means that any female desexed after her second heat and is fully developed should have no issues with sex with the averaged size man. Prior to second heat may lead to restrictions in size internally but I can't be sure.

With the OSS the older method was to leave one ovary as the driver of natural hormones but trim the uterus as short as possible and leave the cervix. This meant the girl would come into heat and be receptive to sex her entire life. But it left the possibility of Stump Pyometra which could be life threatening. She could have sex with any dog or person that would naturally fit as the cervix is intact.

With the newest OSS they leave both Ovaries and remove all of the uterus and the cervix. In most spaying procedures the length of the vagina is not modified as there is no reason too. In the new OSS the removal of all Uterus tissue means that the cervix is removed and the vagina shortened. Now knowing this was part of the new version of the procedure meant that I did not have to worry about stump pyometra but her vagina was going to be shortened. I asked the Vet what would happen if she was bred by a big dog while in season, he agreed that it is best to take the minimum amount of vagina and stitch it closed there just in case she was mounted and might be injured by a big dog. So according to the Vet if she was to meet a big dane boy while on heat they could mate with no consequences.

So given that a Dane might have a dick 12" long and I have seen smaller bitches with 10"-12" dildos, I am assured I am not going to hit bottom in my Dane X girl who weighs in at 130lbs.

So yes sex with spayed female dogs is fine as long as you ask first and be aware of her comfort.

Now that OSS is becoming the best way to spay you just want to ask before surgery to make sure they don't shorten the vagina too much as being in heat will attract randy males that will breed her and you want her to be safe.

Full desexing prior to first heat will leave the female incapable of sex as her organs never developed.

You see so many people on here thinking that all desexing is the same when in reality it is not. The new OSS avoids most of the dramas of desexing early and most of the issues of an ageing bitch.
How can I know if it's safe? My dog weighs about 30K or 66 lbs, we had sex daily and she had puppies, I don't know if her cervix was left intact but I know it was a major surgery as she had puppies in pieces in her uterus, I know she It's quite wide, maybe I should insert a finger or two to check for possible damage.

Unfortunately I couldn't ask the vet what method was used or what was removed or not.

How can I know if it's safe? My dog weighs about 30K or 66 lbs, we had sex daily and she had puppies, I don't know if her cervix was left intact but I know it was a major surgery as she had puppies in pieces in her uterus, I know she It's quite wide, maybe I should insert a finger or two to check for possible damage.

Unfortunately I couldn't ask the vet what method was used or what was removed or not.

Plenty of lube and very gently and carefully explore with a finger, then two, etc, keeping alert to her responses would be my advice.

Plenty of lube and very gently and carefully explore with a finger, then two, etc, keeping alert to her responses would be my advice.
I did this, I used a lot of lube on one finger, but at the end of her vaginal canal it feels like a suture and it also looks like her canal is smaller than it used to be apparently no luck to me, important that she is healthy now.

I don't know if it's actually a suture line but there is something with texture that resembles a line at the end of her vaginal canal, I used my middle finger and I think it's better not to try anything else.

I'm sure you hoped for more, but you've got everything else still and that's what matters. Are other ways of getting the pleasure you both need, not quite the same, but we work with what we've got and make the best of it.

I did this, I used a lot of lube on one finger, but at the end of her vaginal canal it feels like a suture and it also looks like her canal is smaller than it used to be apparently no luck to me, important that she is healthy now.

I don't know if it's actually a suture line but there is something with texture that resembles a line at the end of her vaginal canal, I used my middle finger and I think it's better not to try anything else.

Yeah it sounds like the Vet may have gone extra short. Though the Urethra is a few inches in so it cannot be shorter than that.

Check out the link at

But if you have had sex before you should know how she is built.

This is a great comprehensive post. I really appreciate you explaining the new methods of spaying as I had no idea they existed.

Yeah it sounds like the Vet may have gone extra short. Though the Urethra is a few inches in so it cannot be shorter than that.

Check out the link at

But if you have had sex before you should know how she is built.
Yes, just remembering that her case was an emergency caesarean section not a usual castration, I know your analogy I have other bitch and the to realize very big difference in your pussy, This is a great informative topic I believe that sterilization should be different in each country and region, We should always keep in mind health and welfare of the animal first.

This is a great comprehensive post. I really appreciate you explaining the new methods of spaying as I had no idea they existed.

They are not new methods I have met people who had this done 20 years ago.

The difference is that more information has been collated that links various dog health issues to early menopause.

Things like increased aggression, weight gain, bone cancers, cruciate ligament issues, incontinence and many other things some very breed specific.

They are not new methods I have met people who had this done 20 years ago.

The difference is that more information has been collated that links various dog health issues to early menopause.

Things like increased aggression, weight gain, bone cancers, cruciate ligament issues, incontinence and many other things some very breed specific.
Im extremely ignorant to veterinary procedures so it was new to me :p. Very good to know I have options when it comes to spaying my future dogs. I want what will be healthiest for any future partner and ultimately if spaying helps extend her life I want to do so even if it may hinder vaginal intercourse. Knowing there are different procedures that preserve more of her reproductive tract won't make me choose it if it's not right, but if it is an option that's great

My staffie and I made love a few times, in the short span that I've had her and while she was in heat. The girlfriend, who is oblivious to my zoo leanings insisted that she be spayed which I had no reasonable excuse to obstruct.

I waited about 6 months after her procedure to see if anything were possible given her alteration. It was a slow, daily process of touching and exploration. The spay did not shorten the length of her vagina, but it seemed to cause some of the tissue and muscle inside the vagina to narrow. It was worth the patience waiting for her to heal, as we've resumed an incredible sex life, one that I'd happily replace my girlfriends with.

It was worth the patience waiting for her to heal, as we've resumed an incredible sex life, one that I'd happily replace my girlfriends with.

How old was she when you were forced to spay.

My other girl was nearly 2 years old and we had sex for nearly 10 years after. Being a Dane X I did not notice a narrowing but I only waited about 3 months after surgery.

How old was she when you were forced to spay.

My other girl was nearly 2 years old and we had sex for nearly 10 years after. Being a Dane X I did not notice a narrowing but I only waited about 3 months after surgery.
My girl was fairly young, probably 2 or 3.

Sounds like both our girls were fortunate that the type of spay didn't remove the vagina along with the other reproductive organs. Fortunate for us as well.

My girl was fairly young, probably 2 or 3.

My new girl is a Dane X Malamut 120lbs Ovarian sparing spay due to family members not being zoo friendly.

I have only penetrated her a few times as she is mentally still growing.

She loves being fingered and orgasms a lot. A pony sized dog doing zoomies around the house is frightening.

Im thinking of getting a larger size bitch. After reading this informative reply I think I will never spay my future girl. I will keep her intact and breed with her until she passes away from natural causes. Personally, it sounds cruel to me to desex an animal. Thanks for the explanation. It was very informative.

Although possible, they rarely seem to enjoy it as much as those left intact... I would never have the operation done unless there was no other choice.

If possible this is not a bad idea but it is not an ultimate solution as a bitch that is intact has higher risks of mammary tumours or pyometra.

I would recommend doing lots of research on your particular breed and the health risks.
Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely do some research.

Yes they are female and enjoy sex.

There are some types of surgery that may make it impossible but in most cases they are still intact enough.
Problem is you never know what the vet does to the bitch during surgery. Getting her spayed seems to be a gamble one takes. Id hate for a girl to never have sex again or lose too much of her sex drive. Id also want to mount her without having to worry about hurting her.

Problem is you never know what the vet does to the bitch during surgery. Getting her spayed seems to be a gamble one takes. Id hate for a girl to never have sex again or lose too much of her sex drive. Id also want to mount her without having to worry about hurting her.

The Ovarian Sparing Spay keeps the dog cycling every 6 months, so I got to discuss with the Vet that he should leave the vagina long enough for a great dane to breed her. Just in case of an accident where she found a boy that bred her and she would not get injured.

Just an innocent conversation with a Vet who has not done an OSS before.

So it is possible to have sex with a spay bitch?

There are a lot of variables, but sometimes yes.
As has been stated, if spayed after becoming an adult there's a chance, but if spayed before that no; different procedures can also produce differing results.

Im thinking of getting a larger size bitch. After reading this informative reply I think I will never spay my future girl. I will keep her intact and breed with her until she passes away from natural causes. Personally, it sounds cruel to me to desex an animal. Thanks for the explanation. It was very informative.

Dying of pyometra is "natural", but not something I'd want. Anyone with an intact bitch should know what pyometra is and how to recognize it. It's not something to take lightly, her prognosis can go from fair to dire very quickly.

Always talk to your vet before any surgery. Make sure you inderstand what's going to happen, what the risks are, etc. It's not suspicious to talk to your vet about how they do any particular procedure, most vets appreciate a more engaged caretaker and will happily talk about the details. It comes with a price though, you're expected to educate yourself on the subject first so you can ask informed questions and so your vet does't have to explain the basics. The more you know, the better you can help your vet provide the best care to your companions.

The Ovarian Sparing Spay keeps the dog cycling every 6 months, so I got to discuss with the Vet that he should leave the vagina long enough for a great dane to breed her. Just in case of an accident where she found a boy that bred her and she would not get injured.

Just an innocent conversation with a Vet who has not done an OSS before.
That seems to be a good way to approach the vet in keeping the vagina long. If I get a girl ten I will use your great dane advise. Thanks for the input.

There are a lot of variables, but sometimes yes.
As has been stated, if spayed after becoming an adult there's a chance, but if spayed before that no; different procedures can also produce differing results.

Dying of pyometra is "natural", but not something I'd want. Anyone with an intact bitch should know what pyometra is and how to recognize it. It's not something to take lightly, her prognosis can go from fair to dire very quickly.

Always talk to your vet before any surgery. Make sure you inderstand what's going to happen, what the risks are, etc. It's not suspicious to talk to your vet about how they do any particular procedure, most vets appreciate a more engaged caretaker and will happily talk about the details. It comes with a price though, you're expected to educate yourself on the subject first so you can ask informed questions and so your vet does't have to explain the basics. The more you know, the better you can help your vet provide the best care to your companions.
Thanks. I will keep that in mind and do some research and educate myelf.

Back