Socializing a puppy without weekly "puppy group"

Hello, I've recently got my lovely Husky girl :husky_love:

She's now 11 weeks old, and I wanted to visit a local weekly "puppy group" with her since she was 10 weeks old, where she should have played and socialized with other puppies her age. However the group is now cancelled for the next few weeks (her entire socializing time) because of the pandemic. :husky_nervous:

I am visiting my parents with my girl at least every second weekend now. They have 2 adult australian shepherds and a huge garden. I hope it helps her socialize. She isn't afraid of other dogs or humans in any way, but she always wants to play and I think a dog that tells her when it's time to stop would do her good. Do you have any other suggestions?

Maybe just walk around in the parks and go see people with dogs?

I don’t know how it is where you live though. Here even though there’s currently an officially lockdown, people still go outside and walk their dogs. You should be able to find some pretty easily.

Are there any public dog parks anywhere near you? The places where you can let your dog off the leash in an enclosed area.

Honestly you can find a lot of nice dog owners and pups by walking in the right places, doesnt have to be a park :) like in my neighborhood there are a lot of dogs, maybe it's the same for you!

Yeah it's a 15 minute drive though but I'll try :3
Dog parks are great, but definitely be sure to monitor your puppy! I've had issues with my Bear being bullied by other dogs, and the owners either have their nose in a smart device or are just like "that's just how they play!" Poor pup gets bowled over more than he should sometimes, and I have to step in.
Also make sure your pup's shots are all up to date and she's on course, and monitor her closely in case she develops symptoms of something.

Yeah it's a 15 minute drive though but I'll try :3
Congrats on getting a sweet pupper! I’m about to be in the same position with the puppy classes. I’d go and scope out that dog park, figure out what times are the busiest and go when it’s not too crazy but there’s still enough opportunities for socialization.
And 15 minutes or 30 round trip every day is a very small time commitment and it’ll make your life with her so enjoyable that you’ll never regret it. And even if she’s not scared of other dogs now there’s still time for her to forget that if you don’t keep her meeting new folks and dogs regularly.
Good luck! Raising a puppy is a huge honor!

Dog parks are great, but definitely be sure to monitor your puppy! I've had issues with my Bear being bullied by other dogs, and the owners either have their nose in a smart device or are just like "that's just how they play!" Poor pup gets bowled over more than he should sometimes, and I have to step in.
Also make sure your pup's shots are all up to date and she's on course, and monitor her closely in case she develops symptoms of something.

I think she actually might need a dog who tells her where the line is, because she can get very cheeky if the other dog doesn't want to play with her and just ignores her.
Also of course, she's getting all the vaccines and deworming treatments regularily :)

Congrats on getting a sweet pupper! I’m about to be in the same position with the puppy classes. I’d go and scope out that dog park, figure out what times are the busiest and go when it’s not too crazy but there’s still enough opportunities for socialization.
And 15 minutes or 30 round trip every day is a very small time commitment and it’ll make your life with her so enjoyable that you’ll never regret it. And even if she’s not scared of other dogs now there’s still time for her to forget that if you don’t keep her meeting new folks and dogs regularly.
Good luck! Raising a puppy is a huge honor!

I've actually met another puppy owner outside today who told me that he's going to a puppy class somewhere else with his dog. Apparently puppy classes aren't cancelled everywhere (although legally they would be required to). I called there and signed up - we'll be going there in two weeks every weekend!
But until then I guess I'll drive to that park every now and then :)
And it sure is a great honor!

take her to a busy part of town. somewhere there is usually a lot of people and dogs out and about, thats what ive been doing. or host a dog/puppy party, i've done that a few time with my pup. if you have any training, socialization or behavior questions feel free to reach out. i know all the dog things :ROFLMAO:

rescues in your area might host meet and greets at local pet stores and such, maybe bring her to something like that

Go through parks or dog parks.

We took Corbin out at 3 months, and it helped his confidence a lot to be around other dogs. He's also great with younger dogs now - probably remembers his lesson well.

Try to find a few dog families that you both get together well though - regular play mates are a godsend.

There are a lot of dog friendly store most people don't even know they can bring their dogs. My dogs know every single one in my area and they frequent them on a regular basis. Just lists a few: Barnes and noble, Michael's, most auto part stores, Lowe's, I'd say home depot but they have a sign on their door that says no dogs allowed but you can see them in there all the time and they even give out treats. There's plenty more but you just have to ask around. Taking puppies out regularly at a young age is a perfect way for them to learn how to behave and socialize. An added benefit is the public gets to see how well your dog behaves and tags you as being responsible. There's even a liquor store in my town that has watched my dogs grow up from puppies.

Back