Should i get a German Shepherd?

RightRotted

Tourist
For context i am currently looking online at shelters for my first ever dog. I really wanna preface that i am a first time dog owner and i really wanna make the best choice. The shelter closest to me has a lot of pit bull mixes that of course i would love to take home as well but german shepherd’s have always been my dream dog. Not only are the gorgeous but their personalities i love as well. There are about 5 GSD’s in the shelter i’m looking at and i love them. The problem is i hear that they are bad for novice owners but i hear that they aren’t when you do enough research? i don’t really know what to believe. I’m not sure if my lifestyle fits as i’m gone from 6 am to 3 pm every weekday (except fridays, the weekend and summer) so any help is absolutely loved.

i hear that they are bad for novice owners but i hear that they aren’t when you do enough research
This can literally apply to anything in life. If you do enough research and educating yourself on something of course it would be easier.

I’m not sure if my lifestyle fits as i’m gone from 6 am to 3 pm every weekday (except fridays, the weekend and summer
Well, it kind of sounds like you already know the answer, you just don't want to believe it because of your fondness for German Shepherds.

I'm not wanting to stop you from adopting or anything, but if you REALLY want to have a GS, maybe strictly research them and see if your lifestyle can be changed so that you can get the dog you actually want most. Just my two cents, good luck

This can literally apply to anything in life. If you do enough research and educating yourself on something of course it would be easier.

Well, it kind of sounds like you already know the answer, you just don't want to believe it because of your fondness for German Shepherds.

I'm not wanting to stop you from adopting or anything, but if you REALLY want to have a GS, maybe strictly research them and see if your lifestyle can be changed so that you can get the dog you actually want most. Just my two cents, good luck
You’re right. Thanks!

I would not adopt a Shep from a shelter unless I either knew the dog or would be allowed to spend some daily time with him for a month. The temper is not usually bad, but the fact is theyre often bought by people with security in mind. Ifvthey come to a shelter at 3 or 4 years old, they've had time to develop or be trained into bad habits. I love the breed, especially schutzehunds, but Im not blind to the possibles...A pup is a far better choice

6-3 during the weekdays isn't bad. Many people have a full time job. But you'll have to commit time to making sure they get exercised.

They are high energy working breeds. They are happy when they have stuff to do and have been worked. Lacking mental or physical stimulation will lead to your furniture being the target of their energy burn.

I wouldn't say they are bad, actually I'd consider a GSD a novice friendly dog, and you should focus on breeds you prefer, as they success rate of matching a permanent home, is higher when you are with a dog you enjoy thru and thru.

But you have to do your research, learn the GSD mindset. GSDs are fiercely loyal and love to succeed, hence why they are a very highly used working breed, across several jobs. As long as you are persistent, consistent, loving, and ready to give them the exercise and commitment of research, you'll be fine

6-3 during the weekdays isn't bad. Many people have a full time job. But you'll have to commit time to making sure they get exercised.

They are high energy working breeds. They are happy when they have stuff to do and have been worked. Lacking mental or physical stimulation will lead to your furniture being the target of their energy burn.

I wouldn't say they are bad, actually I'd consider a GSD a novice friendly dog, and you should focus on breeds you prefer, as they success rate of matching a permanent home, is higher when you are with a dog you enjoy thru and thru.

But you have to do your research, learn the GSD mindset. GSDs are fiercely loyal and love to succeed, hence why they are a very highly used working breed, across several jobs. As long as you are persistent, consistent, loving, and ready to give them the exercise and commitment of research, you'll be fine
thank you so much! This helps a lot. I’d definitely do a lot of exercise, there’s a huge park a minute away from the house which could be good for him and with summer coming up i’ll be completely free every day.

I wouldn't be so quick to shy away from a GSD. Iv had two thus far. My first boy was a GSD (RIP) and my current boy as well. They are an INCREDIBLY intelligent breed and you should never under estimate them HOWEVER it is entirely possible to get one and be completely happy with your choice even with your current situation. Iv always had a full time job working vastly the same schedule you do and it's never been an issue for me.
Best advice I can give is to do your research and dedicate your time to training as soon as you get him/her, take time off work if you can when you first get him and dedicate 100% of your day to training. ITS NOT GOING TO BE EASY but it will be well worth it.
Always down to discuss training tips an such so just let me know.

I wouldn't be so quick to shy away from a GSD. Iv had two thus far. My first boy was a GSD (RIP) and my current boy as well. They are an INCREDIBLY intelligent breed and you should never under estimate them HOWEVER it is entirely possible to get one and be completely happy with your choice even with your current situation. Iv always had a full time job working vastly the same schedule you do and it's never been an issue for me.
Best advice I can give is to do your research and dedicate your time to training as soon as you get him/her, take time off work if you can when you first get him and dedicate 100% of your day to training. ITS NOT GOING TO BE EASY but it will be well worth it.
Always down to discuss training tips an such so just let me know.
Thank you so much! This is great to hear and i’ll definitely let you know if i need any tips. And rest in peace to your boy.

Back