Sex after birth

I get that. I was more thinking when it wouldn't hurt her. Also I need to get her an IUD before she finds some more dog cock.

You can wait as long as you want and to be safe you can wait for a long time. Ideally until she asks for it and if she asks too soon and you think it might still not be a good idea, wait more.

For my nickel, *ABSOLUTE MINIMUM* of 3 weeks, 6 would be better, and 3 months even better than that. Give everything in there time to shrink back to normal size, close up like it should, any minor tearing and stretching to heal, and so on.

Keep in mind that, left to herself, a bitch that's recently dropped a litter wouldn't accept even advances, never mind actually allow a male to cover her, until *AT LEAST* her next heat (anywhere from 6 months to a year, depending on breed and her individual cycle), and depending on environmental conditions, might refuse sex entirely until the next heat after that.

Pushing for sex too soon after birth is a good way to make sure you end up with a spayed bitch after she develops an infection, purely because of the possibility of "contamination" being pushed into places where it wouldn't normally be able to reach - specifically BECAUSE things are disrupted all through her reproductive tract. Small tears in the uterine lining, stretched cervical and/or vaginal tissues that may not be actual bleeding wounds, but are still traumatized "weak points", and most especially, the cervix not being properly closed up and "on guard" to prevent "stuff" that shouldn't be there from entering the uterus would be my biggest concerns.

Back