Service Dogs: Have any tips?

I haven't seen anything on here about service dogs and am curious if any of you have experience with service animals? I'm looking into getting a puppy to train into a service dog for myself and have a few questions.

1. Do you recommend having a service animal fixed due to the nature of the jobs/tasks that they do?

I'm highly against having any animal fixed (I hope that would be self evident considering where we are lol). I think its barbaric, although under certain circumstances I understand why it needs to be done.

2. Do you have any good resources and or advice for training? Tips or hints? Things to do or stay away from?

My intention will be to train in the service vest to help the pup get into the mindset of 'I'm at work now'. From what I've seen some people do that and some don't. It might just be a preference thing. But id like there to be times when we are home, that they can just relax and play and not need to be in the working mindset. idk

3. What breeds have you worked with? Do you think it really matters all that much or should I just be seeking out the traits that make a good service dog?

This Monday we are going to meet some collie heeler mix puppies. I've read good and bad things about the breeds in service work. Seems like it just depends on the dog. Not getting my hopes up but, fingers crossed.

Thank you for taking the time! Id love to hear your thoughts on service animals. This is my first time posting on a forum so.. yay haha hopefully my questions were clear as I'm known to ramble a little.

What is the dog going to be doing? If it is something usual, then you will probably get better advice from any of the organizations that train service dogs professionally.

not really on topic, but isn't service dog training supposed to be done by professionals, as in: you probably shouldn't try to do it yourself? at least i think "royally fucking the dog up for life" is a possible outcome when going off youtube/random forum questions....

What is the dog going to be doing? If it is something usual, then you will probably get better advice from any of the organizations that train service dogs professionally.
It will be trained as a psychiatric service dog (PSD). There are only a few tasks Im planning on training.

-Blocking(pretty much just putting space between myself and others)
-Deep Pressure Therapy (involves a dog using its weight and sometimes warmth to mitigate a psychiatric symptom)
-And Alerting to anxious behaviors/dissociation/panic attacks.

I plan on involving a service dog org if there is something I need help with. BUT at the same time, It feels different to me because its not just a dog. You know? And I feel like 'Normal' people don't really get that. Sorry if I seem cryptic. I don't mean to be. :LOL:

not really on topic, but isn't service dog training supposed to be done by professionals, as in: you probably shouldn't try to do it yourself? at least i think "royally fucking the dog up for life" is a possible outcome when going off youtube/random forum questions....
I mean, I'm sure someone could fuck a dog up. But not to my knowledge no. You would need to be highly abusive/using abusive reinforcement tactics to do that. It isn't too far off from training a dog to go potty outside. Its just different training for a different reason, some of witch can be life saving.

Well if you have the knowledge to train a dog like this then it is ok. But to me this seems to be quite complicated. I would probably ask for professional help with that.

Yes I do. I believe its more like 80%, maybe pushing 90% for owner trainers. At any rate ill probably just remove this post or have it sent to the dumpster fire as I was looking for helpful advice. Not to be told all the things I already have general knowledge of. Is it hard, yes. Dose it take time, yes. I was just hoping to possibly connect with some fellow zoo's and see if anyone else had any experiences. Not to get grilled. 😸 To be clear, not upset. Just slightly surprised.

Yes I do. I believe its more like 80%, maybe pushing 90% for owner trainers. At any rate ill probably just remove this post or have it sent to the dumpster fire as I was looking for helpful advice. Not to be told all the things I already have general knowledge of. Is it hard, yes. Dose it take time, yes. I was just hoping to possibly connect with some fellow zoo's and see if anyone else had any experiences. Not to get grilled. 😸 To be clear, not upset. Just slightly surprised.
It's just a little confusing because service animals generally have specific functions and aren't trained or encouraged to have sex with their handlers. I think many Zoophiles will also reject that one should see their companion as so subservient. They are our lovers more than our servants. Now what we need is a thread describing how to get our lovers registered as Service Animals anyway so they can get better treatment.

It will be trained as a psychiatric service dog (PSD). There are only a few tasks Im planning on training.

-Blocking(pretty much just putting space between myself and others)
-Deep Pressure Therapy (involves a dog using its weight and sometimes warmth to mitigate a psychiatric symptom)
-And Alerting to anxious behaviors/dissociation/panic attacks.

I plan on involving a service dog org if there is something I need help with. BUT at the same time, It feels different to me because its not just a dog. You know? And I feel like 'Normal' people don't really get that. Sorry if I seem cryptic. I don't mean to be. :LOL:
i'm kinda curious, if you manage to train a dog to do these things you can just register him/her as an official service dog yourself?

kinda weird you see being questioned a bit as "getting grilled", but i guess that's "the norm" these days... any response that isn't super enthusiastically positive is deemed toxic or whatever....

Reactions: pes
i'm kinda curious, if you manage to train a dog to do these things you can just register him/her as an official service dog yourself?

kinda weird you see being questioned a bit as "getting grilled", but i guess that's "the norm" these days... any response that isn't super enthusiastically positive is deemed toxic or whatever....
Yes, you can. It's very easy to get a registered service dog without it being trained and a must if you're hoping to have a large, restricted breeds live with you in many apartment communities. Pit bulls, for example, are a no unless they are service dogs which are exempt under fair housing laws.

It's just a little confusing because service animals generally have specific functions and aren't trained or encouraged to have sex with their handlers. I think many Zoophiles will also reject that one should see their companion as so subservient. They are our lovers more than our servants. Now what we need is a thread describing how to get our lovers registered as Service Animals anyway so they can get better treatment.
I 100% agree. Myself and I would assume most other trainers don't see them as subservient per say. Often times when referring to another pair (Human/Service Dog) they are called a team. And that's how I Look at it. Teamwork makes the dream work. I provide training, meals, cozy bed and love. They provide the ability to function like a normal human in public settings. I was mainly curious to see if any other zoos had experience in the realm of service dogs, and how they navigated being lovers and also a working team. If they have that dynamic at all. Or if its just purely a working relationship.

And oddly enough, there is no registration for service animals in the US (Depending on your state) In my state for instance, The only laws on service animals are for protections against other people and business. I find it strange.. and possibly easy to abuse.

Edit: Although I will say, People should be following ADA guidelines on service dogs. As not doing so can have serious repercussions I believe.

Yes, you can. It's very easy to get a registered service dog without it being trained and a must if you're hoping to have a large, restricted breeds live with you in many apartment communities. Pit bulls, for example, are a no unless they are service dogs which are exempt under fair housing laws.
Better check those laws... there is a HUGE difference between a "service animal" and a "emotional support animal". A service animal is TRAINED (usually professionally). An ESO is a pet. Thank goodness, but TSA finally changed the rules prohibiting ESOs. A true service animal is a work animal, yes they are a companion but their job comes first. Pit bulls are one of the examples of prohibited breeds for service animals, in some areas. Come on people.... a pet is a pet. Service animal is a serious designation and is subject to so much abuse its not even funny any more.

Ahh yea, I forgot ESA's were even a thing. A service dog is specially trained to perform a function or job for an owner that has a physical, intellectual, or emotional disability. An emotional support animal serves as more of a companion for the owner. Big difference. Almost any dog or animal in general I believe can be an ESA? Don't know much about ESA's. But for Service Dogs it takes years of training and dedication to be able to do the tasks that they do. Its not easy or cheap.

If anyone wanted to know more. Here is a link to the ADA's Frequently Asked questions. Also Id like to point out, Unless the law has changed in the US. Under Breeds, there are no breeds that can't be a service dog. Qualification is dependent on animal behavior.

Better check those laws... there is a HUGE difference between a "service animal" and a "emotional support animal". A service animal is TRAINED (usually professionally). An ESO is a pet. Thank goodness, but TSA finally changed the rules prohibiting ESOs. A true service animal is a work animal, yes they are a companion but their job comes first. Pit bulls are one of the examples of prohibited breeds for service animals, in some areas. Come on people.... a pet is a pet. Service animal is a serious designation and is subject to so much abuse its not even funny any more.
With respect to housing, the difference isn't relevant. It's illegal to discriminate based on any disability and if a professional signs off on it and you can get any certification papers, property managers won't touch the issue. In their minds, it's better to be safe than sorry.

You should know that 90% of puppies raised to be service dogs flunk out.
This. You can train your own service dog although I recommend that you seek a professional trainer to help unless you have adequate experience training these types of tasks and training a dog how to spot your triggers and anxiety level if they don't already. you also would benefit from grounding stimulation like the dog nudging you or giving you a paw when you seem anxious. There is no federal law (it may vary in certain places tho) saying you need professional training but you have to take temperament into account Because you need a very well behaved dog to gain public access. A service dog can't be easily distracted by surroundings, they have to be calm and constantly attentive on you. It takes a perfect temperament and lost of training (up to several years sometimes) to get a dog to the point of registering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back