Remember when........? (mainly for us old folk)

I remember when Sputnik was launched. 1957....followed by a Dog-manned Satellite....known as Muttnik.....

Couple years later, they sent up a Capsule containing a cosmonaut, and a Cosmo-nette....Know what we called that one?
PICNIC!

Speaking of which, I remember the crank call craze to businesses.

So do Bart Simpson and Moe Szyslak...

And while I've got you on the line, There's a gal I'm looing for - Last name hugginkis, first name Amanda. Would she happen to be there? :devilish:

I remember when Sputnik was launched. 1957....followed by a Dog-manned Satellite....known as Muttnik.....

Couple years later, they sent up a Capsule containing a cosmonaut, and a Cosmo-nette....Know what we called that one?
PICNIC!
I am thinking. comes to mind but just not surfaced yet. I may have to cheat

I did not expect that answer

Last edited:
LMAO. I had forgotten most of them. Then followed by the Your Mama jokes.

I remember when Buddy Holly, Patsy Cline etc hit it big. Four or Five of my early childhood musical favorates all died between 1959 and 1964 in plane crashes including Buddy Holly, Patsy Cline, Jim Reeves, and Cowboy Copas plus a few others.

LMAO. I had forgotten most of them. Then followed by the Your Mama jokes.

I remember when Buddy Holly, Patsy Cline etc hit it big. Four or Five of my early childhood musical favorates all died between 1959 and 1964 in plane crashes including Buddy Holly, Patsy Cline, Jim Reeves, and Cowboy Copas plus a few others.
I don't remember it but Ritchie Valens too. I remember Oh Donna, but that early rock was more in my brothers time.

Remember polishing the chrome on your car?

I don't remember it but Ritchie Valens too. I remember Oh Donna, but that early rock was more in my brothers time.

Remember polishing the chrome on your car?
Yep....and using coca cola on a rag to clean off minor rust from the chromed parts

Chrome, What chrome - that jeep didn't have no stinking chrome "grins". But I kept her polished up nice. Little four banger, 535 axles, top speed - 52 mph. Posi in both ends and would climb a wall. It was like riding a brick though. And cold, oh boy that old canvas top and worthless heater did no good whatsoever. Oh, and it was one of the now very rare CJ6's - an extra 18 inches long.

I remember the jitterbug. And waltzing was done in the traditional style. My grandparents won several waltz competitions, and taught me how to dance. Now ole cowman can not sing a lick, and his guitar picking is a particular form of torture. But he is a dancing son of a gun.

Chrome, What chrome - that jeep didn't have no stinking chrome "grins". But I kept her polished up nice. Little four banger, 535 axles, top speed - 52 mph. Posi in both ends and would climb a wall. It was like riding a brick though. And cold, oh boy that old canvas top and worthless heater did no good whatsoever. Oh, and it was one of the now very rare CJ6's - an extra 18 inches long.

I remember the jitterbug. And waltzing was done in the traditional style. My grandparents won several waltz competitions, and taught me how to dance. Now ole cowman can not sing a lick, and his guitar picking is a particular form of torture. But he is a dancing son of a gun.
My folks, back in their time there was no concerts and only static radio. Most in my family were musically inclined and loved to party. I remember as a young boy, they would all get together and play instruments, sing, and dance. Someone on guitar, maudlin, according, piano, and singing, plus a lot of drinking and getting drunk. Polish and Russian immigrants. Back then, they entertained themselves.

Per above, I remembered when we retired the old big bulb radio with a transister. It was am only at the time. And static was an issue with lesser powered stations. And no, there were no "concerts" back then. Ours was a small band of neighbors and mostly played once a month at various ranches, or the VA Hall about three times a year.

Per above, I remembered when we retired the old big bulb radio with a transister. It was am only at the time. And static was an issue with lesser powered stations. And no, there were no "concerts" back then. Ours was a small band of neighbors and mostly played once a month at various ranches, or the VA Hall about three times a year.
A lot of the old clubs as VFW, American Legion, etc would have parties. I remember going to those with my parents and watching all the people party and get all drunked up. Weddings too were always a big event to at them clubs.

Yepper....if Y'all know a tune sung by Mary-Chapin Carpenter, Called " Down at the Twist'n' Shout " youve heard a song about those places. She got her start at THAT one, which was a regular event at the Firehall in Bethesda, Md. in the day.

And I had an 8-track player in my Charger that, if anyone tampered with it, would start the Horn beeping. Jeezuz!....cut that wire the first week.

Yepper....if Y'all know a tune sung by Mary-Chapin Carpenter, Called " Down at the Twist'n' Shout " youve heard a song about those places. She got her start at THAT one, which was a regular event at the Firehall in Bethesda, Md. in the day.
Oh I remember that song. They even did the limbo at times at them clubs parties. But them cry in your beer songs were mainly played on the jukebox. I was back home a while back, and my brother still is a member at the American Legion and VFW. Them cubs use to be packed every weekend, but many of the old WWII vets died out and the vietnam era of vets never joined as much, and now, most all the clubs are operating in the red. When I last went there, there was 2 or 3 people there.

I remember when the library opened at 8:00 A.M. and closed at 10:00 P.M. We all had to learn the Dewey Decimal System. I can still remember the smell. It is as unique as that of a hospital.
The college library was where I discovered the Kinsey Report and realized I was not alone. The US govt also did research on sexuality in America, but that book was not in the stacks and was in a special section of the library. It could not be checked out, only viewed. Needless to say I never had enough nerve to ask to look at it.

I remember when the three "R's" were how kids were taught.

Anyone remember "See Spot Run"?
<raises hand>

Dick and Jane and Spot ("Run, Spot, run! Catch Jane and you can have some pussy!" :devilish:) were pretty lame by the time I got to that point - Mom picked up one of those "early learners" crates when I was just a wee one, and by the time teacher broke out Dick and Jane, I was testing WAY above that reading level, and trying to wrap my head around the complexities of how/why it's never "a ant", or "a onion", but always "an ant" or "an onion", and it's not "an ukelele", but "a ukelele". (Took me what seemed like ages (but was probably only a few weeks, if that long) to formulate a useful rule on that one - ended up with "If you say THE SOUND of a vowel as the first sound of the word, whether the word really starts with a vowel or not, it's ALWAYS "an". If you don't say THE SOUND of a vowel, even if the word starts with a vowel, it's ALWAYS "a")

<raises hand>

Dick and Jane and Spot ("Run, Spot, run! Catch Jane and you can have some pussy!" :devilish:) were pretty lame by the time I got to that point - Mom picked up one of those "early learners" crates when I was just a wee one, and by the time teacher broke out Dick and Jane, I was testing WAY above that reading level, and trying to wrap my head around the complexities of how/why it's never "a ant", or "a onion", but always "an ant" or "an onion", and it's not "an ukelele", but "a ukelele". (Took me what seemed like ages (but was probably only a few weeks, if that long) to formulate a useful rule on that one - ended up with "If you say THE SOUND of a vowel as the first sound of the word, whether the word really starts with a vowel or not, it's ALWAYS "an". If you don't say THE SOUND of a vowel, even if the word starts with a vowel, it's ALWAYS "a")
Dick and Jane was the reader I had when in grade school. Ukukeke, is an Hawaiian word, the land of vowels. Some words can be 5 letters and be all vowels.

I hated all them spelling rules. i before e except after bla ba. This letter is silent, this is a hard K, Christ, no wonder I am all fuclked up.

They were "My Little color here Readers". In different colors as you progressed. So, "My Little Red Reader" etc. I remember Red, Green and Blue and then there was a fourth that may or may not have been yellow. It was another Spot book.

They were "My Little color here Readers". In different colors as you progressed. So, "My Little Red Reader" etc. I remember Red, Green and Blue and then there was a fourth that may or may not have been yellow. It was another Spot book.
Hmmmm, "My Little Red Story Book" which the teacher called our "readers".

Back