Question for you all.

What is the best starting breed for each size category?
I need one that is generally good with small dogs. I have a small elderly dog that is a beagle mix who is incredibly loving and laid back. He is around 13-14 years old and is still active. Photos of my current dog in case you want to see the dog. No he doesn’t have any health issues. I just eventually want to get a friend for him.

Attachments

• 71686480457__96995B4F-9DC5-4FD5-A2CB-116B1A1E43E7.jpeg
    71686480457__96995B4F-9DC5-4FD5-A2CB-116B1A1E43E7.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
  • 123_1.jpeg
    123_1.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 16
Some don't agree but I fully believe that a black lab is one of the best first time dogs. However they will set the bar very high for future dogs. Of course this is my opinion, I'm just some words inside whatever device you are viewing this forum on 🤷‍♂️

Depending on what size you want, there's tons of options. I agree with @beast2732 that a black lab is a good start point. They're real teacher's pets. Also give some thought to a collie or the various shepard dogs, also loyal, loving and respond really well to training.

But if you want more specific answers I think your question needs to be a bit more specific as to what your requirements and your preferences would be🙂

I have always heard labradors are caring for other dogs and very personable. Havent met one that wasnt super friendly
I am also very fond of labs and shepherds. Everyone I have encountered with friends has always been such a pleaser.

Depending on what size you want, there's tons of options. I agree with @beast2732 that a black lab is a good start point. They're real teacher's pets. Also give some thought to a collie or the various shepard dogs, also loyal, loving and respond really well to training.

But if you want more specific answers I think your question needs to be a bit more specific as to what your requirements and your preferences would be🙂
I wouldn't recommend a herding breed for a pal for a laid back old dog. They're known for constantly being on the go.

What is the best starting breed for each size category?
Please help me with what you mean here.

I need one that is generally good with small dogs. I have a small elderly dog that is a beagle mix who is incredibly loving and laid back. He is around 13-14 years old and is still active. Photos of my current dog in case you want to see the dog. No he doesn’t have any health issues. I just eventually want to get a friend for him.
While Labradors in general are often a very good fit with other dogs, I have found that the Yellow Labrador is a little more gentle than the black. It's far more important on how the dog is raised though. Golden Retrievers are very sweet and gentle and I feel would have the best chance of getting along with a smaller dog like yours.

Also keep in mind, if you get a new dog as an adult, you're kinda stuck with how (s)he was raised before you got him. So, consider getting a pup. This way, your pup will grow up with your older dog and the bond with be there from the start.

My 2¢
Salty Loves His Golden... 🐕

We have three Border Collies and a Black Labrador, my partner's boy, and they are all well-mannered, intelligent and well-behaved. Size of the dog does not relate, necessarily to penis size, or even temperament. My partner's first boy was a Huntaway and, apparently, he weighed in at just over 50kg, but I knew him back then also and he was such a good-natured boy.

Back