Pyometra

if you want to minimize to possibility just get the bitch bred for a litter or two

Not 100% works, unfortunately
It works 100% if bred on regular basis, but even one gig is good enough to reduce the possibility on the long run. Chance of pyometra increases on every heat when the bitch is not bred - Some dogs will never get it, but if the breeding is a possibility i would take it to reduce the odds.

Last edited:
It works 100% if bred on regular basis, but even one gig is good enough to reduce the possibility on the long run. Chance of pyometra increases on every heat when the bitch is not bred - Some dogs will never get it, but if the breeding is a possibility i would take it to reduce the odds.
Regular breeding is harmful for health 😔

Breeding won't prevent pyometra 100% of the time. Although there might be some truth that bitches that have never had a litter are more likely to get pyo, I'm not sure how significant that difference actually is, if you have that info I'd be very appreciative to know.
I don't agree with making her have a litter just to reduce the chances of pyo.

Breeding won't prevent pyometra 100% of the time. Although there might be some truth that bitches that have never had a litter are more likely to get pyo, I'm not sure how significant that difference actually is, if you have that info I'd be very appreciative to know.
I don't agree with making her have a litter just to reduce the chances of pyo.
at least its true that if your bitch had pyo that was successfully treated with medicine you should breed her in her next heat or spay her

I keep referencing the paper "Breed Variations in the Incidence of Pyometra and Mammary Tumours in Swedish Dogs" and there's a link to it above, but I'm posting it here so I can link directly to the paper for convenience.
Thank you for including that attachment! So helpful!!! 🐕

And my vet routinely spays at 3 to 6 months of age. While well intentioned, not every vet is well informed. 🐕

Sadly quite common as is the belief that spaying reduces dog/dog aggression.
Here's a link to a paper that shows that spay/neuter tends to increase such aggression

if your bitch had pyo that was successfully treated with medicine you should breed her in her next heat or spay her
That advice sounds a tad misconstrued. The recommendation to breed on the next heat is in the context of breeding dogs of value. If you want to get more pups from a valuable breeding dog that has pyo, you can try treating with medicine and breed her on her next heat so she doesn't go right back into pyo, and keep breeding on back to back heats until she's retired (or gets pyo again). The 2 reasons they treat pyo with medicine in the first place is because you want to get more pups, or because surgery isn't possible at that time (cost too high, dog has to many other health issues, etc).
I guess what I'm saying is I don't think this recommendation is meant to be to start using an older dog with history of pyo as a breeding bitch just to delay pyo recurrence.

That advice sounds a tad misconstrued. The recommendation to breed on the next heat is in the context of breeding dogs of value. If you want to get more pups from a valuable breeding dog that has pyo, you can try treating with medicine and breed her on her next heat so she doesn't go right back into pyo, and keep breeding on back to back heats until she's retired (or gets pyo again). The 2 reasons they treat pyo with medicine in the first place is because you want to get more pups, or because surgery isn't possible at that time (cost too high, dog has to many other health issues, etc).
I guess what I'm saying is I don't think this recommendation is meant to be to start using an older dog with history of pyo as a breeding bitch just to delay pyo recurrence.
i've gotten my vets advice - what would you do ?
(this was not my dog were talking about)

Back