Pyometra

Unholy

Tourist
Can human sperm cause pyometra? Obviously can't find information in internet, so asking for help here. Any bad experience? When you cumming inside, can it cause pyometra for your dog?

No, pyo is caused by normal vaginal bacteria getting into the uterus where it shouldn't be. Risk of pyo goes up as a bitch has more estrus cycles making it a greater risk a she ages; also some lineages of dogs are more prone to pyo than others.
That said, it is possible to cause an infection such as a UTI due to poor hygiene, so make sure you're both clean.

It's important for anyone who takes care of an intact bitch to know the symptoms of pyometra and to understand that it is a life-threatening emergency that can kill in days. It's more common to occur a month or 2 after an estrus cycle, but it can happen at any time. One of the first warning signs is a complete loss of appetite. If a bitch who normally has a good appetite seems uninterested in food, especially if she's recently come out of heat, get her to the vet immediately.

A bit of reading today on pyo can save a dog's life. Here's a link to a quick overview of pyometra.

Last edited by a moderator:
but say if a male had vaginal sex with a bitch would he then be allowing that bacteria to get where it shouldn't be ? even if he doesn't ejaculate inside ? ive seen some stuff online where female dogs can get pyo from artificial insemination.

First off, I'm not a vet. I try to educate myself on canine care as I find the topic interesting and useful, but I am no substitute for a professional.

That said, sexual encounters should have no effect as typically the cervix is well sealed and prevents the bacteria from getting in, but as a bitch ages there's a thickening/buildup of tissue that can cause the seal to fail. If that seal fails and allows the bacteria in, there are literally only a few days to catch it and save her; the sooner it's treated, the better her prognosis.

For breeds which are more prone to pyometra, I tend to consider spaying around the average age for it to develop in the breed/line.

One paper I can recall off the top of my head is, "Breed variations in the incidence of pyometra and mammary tumors in Swedish dogs" (available online) which gives the statistics for an impressive number of bitches taken from insurance data. It contains a large table of correlated data which presents the data in a nice format that's easy for a quick search by breed.

Edit: As for AI and pyo, I'd be interested in references, but there will always be some risk of pyometra in intact bitches. Without some data I'd guess the rates of pyometra after AI are probably not any higher than the rates of pyometra without AI and may well have developed at that time with or without AI.

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the treatmets for open pyo ? Since this is the most common one. Went to a vet today for vaccination he said surgery 100%, and in other countries I see meds being used.

What are the treatmets for open pyo ? Since this is the most common one. Went to a vet today for vaccination he said surgery 100%, and in other countries I see meds being used.
I've had to go through pyo problems with one girl here in the US. The treatment was an injection that had to be given multiple times that basically forces them to go into labor and work the infection out. It isn't pretty and it's hard on a girl, especially for one that is a little older. I hated to do it and to see her go through that but wanted to prevent her going through surgery if I could.

She ended up ok but when a girl gets it once she can get it much easier after. That same girl ended up getting it again two heats later after virtually no sex and all the hygiene precautions possible. She was spayed that time to prevent her from ever going through it again.

You beat me to it

I was going to say there's a 50 50 shot that antibiotics would work but any treatment isn't going to prevent bacteria from reentering later on meaning that a spay is the only guarantee solution. If you have the option of doing an OSS that increases the odds of her still wanting sexual attention after she's healed up. Most of the time there's too much risk of the infection spreading to the ovaries and they don't have any other choice than to do a full spay.

You beat me to it

I was going to say there's a 50 50 shot that antibiotics would work but any treatment isn't going to prevent bacteria from reentering later on meaning that a spay is the only guarantee solution. If you have the option of doing an OSS that increases the odds of her still wanting sexual attention after she's healed up. Most of the time there's too much risk of the infection spreading to the ovaries and they don't have any other choice than to do a full spay.
We were lucky and she didn't really have a bad infection because we noticed right away. But yes, unfortunately that's how it goes. Spay is a guarantee.

She did however still enjoy sexual contact after her spay. She loved to hump your hand to stimulate her clitorus both before and after her spay. It was a bad one though, was painfully obvious that she would never be penetrated again after. But, that was fine. I loved that girl and still miss her with all of my heart. Her health came first and I was just happy to please her the only way I could for the rest of her days.

I'd still crawl through the deepest darkest pits of hell with a knife in my teeth to bring her back.

Spay is guarantee its like saying amputate a leg and you will never break it again. Thats my plan is to do OSS if I will face that issue. However, now I think it will be a challenge yo find a vet that will do treatment of pyo in my area if the need comes up. I think I will post in this group to see, someone might know.

Spay is guarantee its like saying amputate a leg and you will never break it again. Thats my plan is to do OSS if I will face that issue. However, now I think it will be a challenge yo find a vet that will do treatment of pyo in my area if the need comes up. I think I will post in this group to see, someone might know.
True, but life comes before sex. Sometimes even before walking... Do your research and remember that just because It's an OSS doesn't guarantee the vaginal tract to be completely intact afterwards either.

True, but life comes before sex. Sometimes even before walking... Do your research and remember that just because It's an OSS doesn't guarantee the vaginal tract to be completely intact afterwards either.
True that, not sure if thats life after fixing lol my friends fixed their dog, and its huge difference with my intact dog in terms of behavior and activity. That dog looks very sad now even though she is only 2 months older than mine. I don't think there is better alternative to OSS ?🤔 is old saying of having pups helps with pyo?

True that, not sure if thats life after fixing lol my friends fixed their dog, and its huge difference with my intact dog in terms of behavior and activity. That dog looks very sad now even though she is only 2 months older than mine. I don't think there is better alternative to OSS ?🤔 is old saying of having pups helps with pyo?
That's what many people say however that's something you would have to research on.

Although it beats suffering a slow death. By something that could be ripped out into a more quality life.

I've had to go through pyo problems with one girl here in the US. The treatment was an injection that had to be given multiple times that basically forces them to go into labor and work the infection out. It isn't pretty and it's hard on a girl, especially for one that is a little older. I hated to do it and to see her go through that but wanted to prevent her going through surgery if I could.

She ended up ok but when a girl gets it once she can get it much easier after. That same girl ended up getting it again two heats later after virtually no sex and all the hygiene precautions possible. She was spayed that time to prevent her from ever going through it again.
This sounds like closed pyo, isn't it ? Correct me if I'm wrong but its rare only about 5% of it if the doggo even gets pyo.

This sounds like closed pyo, isn't it ? Correct me if I'm wrong but its rare only about 5% of it if the doggo even gets pyo.
No, she had open pyo both times. Those injections will only be given to open pyo cases. Closed pyo means emergency surgery everytime. It might be rare but it can happen. Like I said earlier, after they get it once the chances of getting it again go way up. Not sure about the percentages of open versus closed pyo cases.

My stepmother's toy terrier has closed pyo last year. She was looking like an air balloon before surgery. Vet said she was pretty lucky to stay alive, pyo was hard...

Yeah thats something Im trying to avoid at all costs if possible. Need to find a vet that does conservative therapy and OSS if needed.

My blue great dane caught a case of closed pyo at 7 years old and I absolutely belive that my having sex with her too soon after a heat had a part in it.
When a bitch is in heat she is expelling quite a bit of blood and tissue that is in a better sense... decaying. Normally as they end their heat it tapers off and they can assist the cleaning by licking.

But when a big dick is introduced and pushes some of that dead matter right back up to their cervix. Cum naturally likes to make its way through that little guy, and has the possibility of pulling the bad stuff in with it.

That is just my theory, but I know that in nature, males don't keep breeding them directly after a heat... and we zoos go against that nature by making it a regular thing. I was able to save my girl by noticing the symptoms right away. But it is FAR more expensive than a basic spay. And you pretty much have to accept going in that they will be done with penetrating sex.

My blue great dane caught a case of closed pyo at 7 years old and I absolutely belive that my having sex with her too soon after a heat had a part in it.
When a bitch is in heat she is expelling quite a bit of blood and tissue that is in a better sense... decaying. Normally as they end their heat it tapers off and they can assist the cleaning by licking.

But when a big dick is introduced and pushes some of that dead matter right back up to their cervix. Cum naturally likes to make its way through that little guy, and has the possibility of pulling the bad stuff in with it.

That is just my theory, but I know that in nature, males don't keep breeding them directly after a heat... and we zoos go against that nature by making it a regular thing. I was able to save my girl by noticing the symptoms right away. But it is FAR more expensive than a basic spay. And you pretty much have to accept going in that they will be done with penetrating sex.
Not sure about that, and here is why. By statistic 25% will get pyo ( closed one rare). This forum has big population, if 25% would have pyo this thread would be flooded.
From a person who has 3 dogs and never pyo issues, it might be our sexual life with dog exercising all internal organs and dog's body mechanisms to lesser the chances of pyo. But its not official, i doubt there will be research on pyo rates in zoo's dogs lol
Technically pyo is 2dary infection, caused by hormones and immunity system failure to deal with infection.

I wonder if immune boosters for dogs would greatly reduce chances of pyo? Technically it should. I also found this article just todat, gotta do more research on immunity boosters and pyo in dogs.

Not sure about that, and here is why. By statistic 25% will get pyo ( closed one rare). This forum has big population, if 25% would have pyo this thread would be flooded.
From a person who has 3 dogs and never pyo issues, it might be our sexual life with dog exercising all internal organs and dog's body mechanisms to lesser the chances of pyo. But its not official, i doubt there will be research on pyo rates in zoo's dogs lol
Technically pyo is 2dary infection, caused by hormones and immunity system failure to deal with infection.

I wonder if immune boosters for dogs would greatly reduce chances of pyo? Technically it should. I also found this article just todat, gotta do more research on immunity boosters and pyo in dogs.

It's a 2 day kill infection?

Do your research and remember that just because It's an OSS doesn't guarantee the vaginal tract to be completely intact afterwards either.
That seem's pretty interesting that the vaginal tract would be damaged after a hysterectomy. If that's true it would almost seem like doing an OSS would be more dangerous than a full ovarian-hysterectomy because an semi intact female is more likely still receptive to male dogs. If the vaginal tract was damaged and a male dog did tie it seems like it could cause damage / complications.

Again as others have already said before, defiantly do research and ask the vet questions.

Not sure about 2 day, i guess depends on the dog, but nasty thing
If it is that bad you might as well put the dog outta it's misery like wow. If there are cases like that I can't imagine what they go through.

Why does almost every disease they have end up killing them?

If it is that bad you might as well put the dog outta it's misery like wow. If there are cases like that I can't imagine what they go through.

Why does almost every disease they have end up killing them?
Well any disease if not treated has a potential to kill the host. Its an infection basically of an internal organ.

That seem's pretty interesting that the vaginal tract would be damaged after a hysterectomy. If that's true it would almost seem like doing an OSS would be more dangerous than a full ovarian-hysterectomy because an semi intact female is more likely still receptive to male dogs. If the vaginal tract was damaged and a male dog did tie it seems like it could cause damage / complications.

Again as others have already said before, defiantly do research and ask the vet questions.
Also I would seem the blood would need to flow through something to come out. I mean the whole point of that procedure is to keep everything intact except uterus

Also I would seem the blood would need to flow through something to come out.
Well even if the vaginal tract is damaged its not like there isnt a way for fluids to flow out. As for there being blood there should be either little or no bleeding during heat as most of the blood from a heat cycles comes from the uterus itself.

So.... Is bestiality linked to pyo? Does human X animal sex increase the occurrence rating?

I never knew this before with my mate since we were lucky we never got it.

I
Well even if the vaginal tract is damaged its not like there isnt a way for fluids to flow out. As for there being blood there should be either little or no bleeding during heat as most of the blood from a heat cycles comes from the uterus itself.
Guess it really depends how the OSS is performed, i read on on one of local vets website either at least one or both ovaries are left in woth tubes, so i thought tubes need to connect somewhere.

So.... Is bestiality linked to pyo? Does human X animal sex increase the occurrence rating?

I don't think there's any official medical study that supports the claim, but it is commonly accepted in the community that it can

See those studies weren't performed lol I don't think they will any time soon. But looking at number of members in this forum , and amount of replies in this thread I would assume it decreases risk, if the official numbet of 25% will get pyo is true.

Back