Pseudo Pregnancy’s in Dogs

LlamaCumma

Tourist
Howdy!

I
was curious if anyone who owns an intact-virgin-female pup and wether they’ve experienced a pseudo pregnancy after some form of sexual interaction wether it was fingering, oral, penetration etc.

Recently, a pup that I’ve fooled around with (no penile penetration) has experienced this. There isn’t any treatment for it as it just has to run its course. Apparently it’s not harmful in anyway, but my concern is the psychological affects it may have on the pup. Is this something that will/could happen often with continued sexual play? I don’t want to continue if it’s going to be an ongoing issue for the pup. If anyone has some experience with this, tips/info would be great!

Thanks much! :)

First off, pseudo-pregnancy has nothing to do with sexual interactions of any sort.
It's frequent in intact female dogs, and likely to happen to her again in the future whether she you continue to play with her or not (unless you get her spayed obviously).
It's unclear if frequent episodes could increase likeliness of mammary tumors in the long run.

my girl has a fairly minor case of fake pregnancy (mostly just swollen teats) like once a year ever since she was two years old and from what i gathered (mostly info from our vet) i'll second the above poster. it just happens whatever you "help it" or not and doesn't really mean much health-wise...
psychological-wise is another story, if you have other members in the pack at least. if i don't spot the fake pregnancy soon enough, she'll make a den (like curling her blanket into a ball and putting it in a corner) and gather all the toys and proceeds to treat them as her pups. i had to break up some fairly bad fights over her going ballistic over one of the boys simply wanting to play with a plushie.. now i take away all their toys as soon as i think there is the slightest hint of fake pregnancy.

First off, pseudo-pregnancy has nothing to do with sexual interactions of any sort.
It's frequent in intact female dogs, and likely to happen to her again in the future whether she you continue to play with her or not (unless you get her spayed obviously).
It's unclear if frequent episodes could increase likeliness of mammary tumors in the long run.
Very good to know! Then I guess it was just coincidental timing.

my girl has a fairly minor case of fake pregnancy (mostly just swollen teats) like once a year ever since she was two years old and from what i gathered (mostly info from our vet) i'll second the above poster. it just happens whatever you "help it" or not and doesn't really mean much health-wise...
psychological-wise is another story, if you have other members in the pack at least. if i don't spot the fake pregnancy soon enough, she'll make a den (like curling her blanket into a ball and putting it in a corner) and gather all the toys and proceeds to treat them as her pups. i had to break up some fairly bad fights over her going ballistic over one of the boys simply wanting to play with a plushie.. now i take away all their toys as soon as i think there is the slightest hint of fake pregnancy.
Had to do the same exact thing! Some days are better than others, but it’s just crazy that it can last so long. I expected her to not want to fool around anymore or till it was over, but she still is seeking and nudging me. Even to the point where she has started licking on her own accord which was very confusing for me because she believes she is pregnant; which you wouldn’t think she’d be seeking with that “motherhood mindset”.

Hi !

My girl is subject to pseudo pregnancies, I give her dog bach flowers (rescue type) preventively (when taken in time, ie <60 days after the end of her heat).

The treatment can also be curative when she already shows signs of pseudo pregnancy.

This omeopathic treatment (it is not a drug) works very well, also on nervous dogs following thunderstorms or fireworks, Bach flowers allow you to relax nervous dogs.

Since I have been using this omeopathic treatment (in the form of a small capsule and approved by my veterinarian), my girl has no longer made pseudo pregnancies.

All my information on the subject is in French, I let you look on the English side, but here are some links that I found in English :

Don't forget to request the advice of your veterinarian.

Hi !
My girl is subject to pseudo pregnancies, I give her dog bach flowers (rescue type) preventively (when taken in time, ie <60 days after the end of her heat).

The treatment can also be curative when she already shows signs of pseudo pregnancy.

This omeopathic treatment (it is not a drug) works very well, also on nervous dogs following thunderstorms or fireworks, Bach flowers allow you to relax nervous dogs.

Since I have been using this omeopathic treatment (in the form of a small capsule and approved by my veterinarian), my girl has no longer made pseudo pregnancies.

All my information on the subject is in French, I let you look on the English side, but here are some links that I found in English :

Don't forget to request the advice of your veterinarian.
That’s awesome! I’ll have to look into that, she did have a trip to the vet and the above mentioned was said. Thanks for the information and remedy!

Hi all,

Happy new year to all !

This omeopathic treatment works for my girl, but don't forget to give us your feedback about it.

This will help the community to know if the treatment is working for everyone or not.

Back