ProtonMail privacy policy change.

Maxstyle88

Tourist
Three days ago, September 7, 2021, ProtonMail removed the line “we do not keep any IP logs” from its privacy policy. This happened because "French authorities managed to obtain the IP address of a French activist who was using the online service. The company has communicated widely about the incident, stating that it doesn’t log IP addresses by default and it only complies with local regulation — in that case Swiss law". After this ProtonMail now logs EVERY ip that you use to login to their site with. Using a vpn or tor is a must when using ProtonMail now. You can read about it by searching "ProtonMail ip charges". Correct me if any of the above is wrong.

Well, that's sad and all, but it's the same reasoning why I usually tell people VPNs can't really be trusted - because they're also affected by local laws.

the silver lining is that it would have to be pretty bad for an external law enforcement agency to petition local swiss authorities to then legally force protonmail to start logging suspicious activities. it doesn't change the fact that they can do it though.

from what i read, protonmail won't start logging IPs until they have a reason to or is forced to. use a good VPN service and throw TOR on top of it if you're extra paranoid.

Three days ago, September 7, 2021, ProtonMail removed the line “we do not keep any IP logs” from its privacy policy. This happened because "French authorities managed to obtain the IP address of a French activist who was using the online service. The company has communicated widely about the incident, stating that it doesn’t log IP addresses by default and it only complies with local regulation — in that case Swiss law". After this ProtonMail now logs EVERY ip that you use to login to their site with. Using a vpn or tor is a must when using ProtonMail now. You can read about it by searching "ProtonMail ip charges". Correct me if any of the above is wrong.
Hmm, did protonmail give them the IP address or did the ISP give them the logs? Judging by the removal of the statement I presume the protonmail gave it to them, care to tell us more?

Hmm, did protonmail give them the IP address or did the ISP give them the logs? Judging by the removal of the statement I presume the protonmail gave it to them, care to tell us more?
The press statement from Proton is here https://protonmail.com/blog/climate-activist-arrest/

It doesn't say directly, but it sounds like Proton Mail were forced to start logging the IP addresses of that one activist after the French authorities got a Swiss court order. In their new privacy terms, it still states they don't store IP data permanently except for misuse like spamming/phishing.

TOR and iPhones don’t seem to get along.
iPhones and privacy don't get along. The best tor like browser for iOS is called Onion Browser, which is open source, uses Tor routing, and is developed by someone who works closely with the Tor Project. However, Apple requires browsers on iOS to use something called Webkit, which prevents Onion Browser from having the same privacy protections as Tor Browser. rip iOS.

To some extent, it has. :(
When I saw that they are now linked up to Facebook and Twitter, it told me everything that I needed to know. And for the record, Tor and Onion were created by the government. They came forward and admitted it. There was a Dateline special about it. The whole thing was used to track pedos watching CP, and Muslim terrorists who were recruiting women for sex slaves as well as new recruits. They also used it to bust numerous illegal arms deals: unmarked firearms, fully automatic weapons, and even rocket-propelled grenade launchers.

You people should really watch the news more. The largest sting in history went down a few years ago but it did not get a lot of media attention. If you find something illegal on the web then the Feds have already found it too, and more than likely, they planted it there. Nord has admitted to gathering data, and they have been breached once. They were never breached; they sold your data. As for the dumbasses who think you can out stealth the government and do illegal shit, the military invented the first internet servers. Our cyber intelligence is the most advanced in the entire world.

I hate to break it to you but they already know who every single one of us is. They only allow you to believe that you are safe so they can continue to gather data on you. Their endgame is to use that data to create the ultimate psychological profiling program so they can identify and accurately predict who is a threat. They also know that a vast majority of kinksters are harmless, but they are aware that through a game of 21 degrees they can use to track pedos and serial killers.

FACT: NAMBLA was an organization that had emerged from the forerunner group of the LGBT. The LGBT kicked them out years ago fearing that they would hurt their chances at legalizing gay marriage; this is a well-documented fact. The FBI knows this, so they leave us alone because they rely on us as their spider-web to help them catch those sick, depraved flies. Zooville's presence actually does them a favor.

We have made it clear that Pedos are not wanted here. We know that a few of you dumbasses are here. But that is okay because the FBI knows that you are here too.

As someone once told me, if you're not doing anything illegal then you have got nothing to worry about. As far as the hackers who keep doxxing us are concerned, their days are numbered. What they are doing are blackmail and extortion. Within the next ten years, our cyber intelligence will release some of its advanced software to the FBI and local law enforcement, and then entire departments will be dedicated to cyber-blackmail.

Relax, the times are about to change. Once, one or two US Senators get blackmailed by an 18-year-old basement dweller then it will come to a halt. It is just a matter of time. The weapons you create will inevitably get used against you.

Protonmail sounds as if they have been compromised.
Nope they havan't, PM had to obey to a Swiss court order as they are based in Switzerland, they are running a business and have to follow their country's laws. Theystarted to log the user IP address after the authorities ordered them to do.
I guess they changed their policies to avoid any biaised info, but Internet has a memory and everyone knows now.

PM is still rated as one of the most secure mail services globally.

I'll try and find a recent UK report to add here.

the silver lining is that it would have to be pretty bad for an external law enforcement agency to petition local swiss authorities to then legally force protonmail to start logging suspicious activities. it doesn't change the fact that they can do it though.

from what i read, protonmail won't start logging IPs until they have a reason to or is forced to. use a good VPN service and throw TOR on top of it if you're extra paranoid.
There is no way that I am going to count on them to limit themselves to "extreme" cases. These are the kind of assholes who call sex with animals "violence."

ProtonMail

URL: www.protonmail.com

Price: From £0 up to £6.83 (€8.00 / $9.45) per user per month

Storage: 500MB - 20GB

One of the world’s largest secure email services, ProtonMail offers end-to-end encryption and a raft of other security features, such as encryption via secure implementations of AES (Advanced Encryption Standard), RSA, and OpenPGP.

You can also send end-to-end encrypted emails to non-ProtonMail users by sending the recipient a link that displays the encrypted message on their browser. You can then share a passphrase with the recipient to decrypt the message.

The company says it can’t read any emails it hosts because the data is encrypted so it’s inaccessible to the provider. The provider can’t decrypt the data either, so it can’t hand it over to third parties.

Plus, it’s based in Switzerland, which has some of the world’s strictest privacy laws. It also has a no-logs policy and offers self-destructing emails.

IT Pro review

The press statement from Proton is here https://protonmail.com/blog/climate-activist-arrest/

It doesn't say directly, but it sounds like Proton Mail were forced to start logging the IP addresses of that one activist after the French authorities got a Swiss court order. In their new privacy terms, it still states they don't store IP data permanently except for misuse like spamming/phishing.
Did they inform the activist he/she was being Investigated?

Tor is only enough. Adding a vpn allows that one company too see what your doing. Tor however obscures it. Theres also a device you put onto your computer (i forgot the device name) it wipes any trace of fingerprint while its in use or was it something similar to that use. The point is theres a device while active theres no trace its on that computer its used on.

When I saw that they are now linked up to Facebook and Twitter, it told me everything that I needed to know. And for the record, Tor and Onion were created by the government. They came forward and admitted it. There was a Dateline special about it. The whole thing was used to track pedos watching CP, and Muslim terrorists who were recruiting women for sex slaves as well as new recruits. They also used it to bust numerous illegal arms deals: unmarked firearms, fully automatic weapons, and even rocket-propelled grenade launchers.

You people should really watch the news more. The largest sting in history went down a few years ago but it did not get a lot of media attention. If you find something illegal on the web then the Feds have already found it too, and more than likely, they planted it there. Nord has admitted to gathering data, and they have been breached once. They were never breached; they sold your data. As for the dumbasses who think you can out stealth the government and do illegal shit, the military invented the first internet servers. Our cyber intelligence is the most advanced in the entire world.

I hate to break it to you but they already know who every single one of us is. They only allow you to believe that you are safe so they can continue to gather data on you. Their endgame is to use that data to create the ultimate psychological profiling program so they can identify and accurately predict who is a threat. They also know that a vast majority of kinksters are harmless, but they are aware that through a game of 21 degrees they can use to track pedos and serial killers.

FACT: NAMBLA was an organization that had emerged from the forerunner group of the LGBT. The LGBT kicked them out years ago fearing that they would hurt their chances at legalizing gay marriage; this is a well-documented fact. The FBI knows this, so they leave us alone because they rely on us as their spider-web to help them catch those sick, depraved flies. Zooville's presence actually does them a favor.

We have made it clear that Pedos are not wanted here. We know that a few of you dumbasses are here. But that is okay because the FBI knows that you are here too.

As someone once told me, if you're not doing anything illegal then you have got nothing to worry about. As far as the hackers who keep doxxing us are concerned, their days are numbered. What they are doing are blackmail and extortion. Within the next ten years, our cyber intelligence will release some of its advanced software to the FBI and local law enforcement, and then entire departments will be dedicated to cyber-blackmail.

Relax, the times are about to change. Once, one or two US Senators get blackmailed by an 18-year-old basement dweller then it will come to a halt. It is just a matter of time. The weapons you create will inevitably get used against you.
They'll use it against us all regardless of who makes them. Problem is when that time comes we will be at the level of crossing the 1984-surveillance state threshold. Hope that when the times comes that we can make the right decision...

When I saw that they are now linked up to Facebook and Twitter, it told me everything that I needed to know. And for the record, Tor and Onion were created by the government. They came forward and admitted it. There was a Dateline special
What is Dateline?
about it. The whole thing was used to track pedos watching CP, and Muslim terrorists who were recruiting women for sex slaves as well as new recruits. They also used it to bust numerous illegal arms deals: unmarked firearms, fully automatic weapons, and even rocket-propelled grenade launchers.
Tor does not make you invisible
You people should really watch the news more. The largest sting in history went down a few years ago but it did not get a lot of media attention. If you find something illegal on the web then the Feds have already found it too, and more than likely, they planted it there. Nord has admitted to gathering data, and they have been breached once. They were never breached; they sold your data.
Does selling you data mean they were breached
As for the dumbasses who think you can out stealth the government and do illegal shit, the military invented the first internet servers. Our cyber intelligence is the most advanced in the entire world.

I hate to break it to you but they already know who every single one of us is.
The technology is based on math to break it you must break math
They only allow you to believe that you are safe so they can continue to gather data on you. Their endgame is to use that data to create the ultimate psychological profiling program so they can identify and accurately predict who is a threat. They also know that a vast majority of kinksters are harmless, but they are aware that through a game of 21 degrees they can use to track pedos and serial killers.
have you got evidence for this?
FACT: NAMBLA was an organization that had emerged from the forerunner group of the LGBT. The LGBT kicked them out years ago fearing that they would hurt their chances at legalizing gay marriage;
I fail to see why that is surprising, they both have gay people
this is a well-documented fact. The FBI knows this, so they leave us alone because they rely on us as their spider-web to help them catch those sick, depraved flies. Zooville's presence actually does them a favor.
Bestiality is not a federal crime
It is not a federal crime to be a pedophile

What comes to a halt?

Back