prepucial discharge 6m old dobie

DobieDogo

Zooville Settler
so decided why not share a health related story about my six month old dobie boy. for a while now he has been producing a discharge from his prepuce (sheath) which is not uncommon for young intact puppies however it was quite putrid (🤢🐟) which of course wasn’t really conducive to any playtime or even wrestling and lap cuddling. and I was beginning to get tired of having to wash my floors every day! I finally decided that OK it hasn’t taken care of itself so I took him to the vet (which I should’ve done a lot sooner…new dog dad!) and the vet determined that it was normal smegma build up (🤮) he just was over producing it giving way to more bacteria causing the putrid smell. He gave me a bottle of chlorhexidine to dilute at home and now I fill his sheath (pro tip use an ear wax flushing bulb) and squeeze the tip of his sheath closed and shake the fluid around in there… I was able to do this in his crate just to manage him better and put an XL pee pad down for all the liquid to come out on to (no mess!) i’ve done it twice now and so far so good no more nasty stank!! and of course he likes me touching his bits LOL. apparently you can also order chlorhexidine products on Amazon so I’ve done that as well (💄 wipes and crotch spray)

that’s it…that’s my story… Boys are stinky 🤣

Boys are stinky
Teenagers... things'll probably improve when he's a little older.

I think it's important to caution that chlorhexidine is toxic to epitheliums like the thin "skin" covering his penis. If you use a product that has the wrong concentration, or one that has the proper concentration too often and for too long, there's a risk for injury (i.e. the epithelium sloughs off, not a pretty sight). Some chlorhexidine products are mixed with other stuff like alcohol, which also isn't the best down there.

Not trying to contradict contradict your vet, but for anyone that's thinking of trying this without medical advice, it'll be safer to try flushing once or twice with water. If it's not getting better, get it checked.

Excessive discharge is fairly common for an intact male pup going through puberty. You're correct that it should not stink, though. The color is another thing to watch. It should be white to very slightly yellowish. Greenish, pinkish, or brownish is not OK.

One of my boys (as an adult) had excessive discharge, which proved to be an irritation caused by a piece of a dry leaf that found its way in there.

I'm not a veterinarian, just an old guy who has lived with quite a few male pups over the past 50-odd years.

Teenagers... things'll probably improve when he's a little older.

I think it's important to caution that chlorhexidine is toxic to epitheliums like the thin "skin" covering his penis. If you use a product that has the wrong concentration, or one that has the proper concentration too often and for too long, there's a risk for injury (i.e. the epithelium sloughs off, not a pretty sight). Some chlorhexidine products are mixed with other stuff like alcohol, which also isn't the best down there.

Not trying to contradict contradict your vet, but for anyone that's thinking of trying this without medical advice, it'll be safer to try flushing once or twice with water. If it's not getting better, get it checked.
for sure. 4% is what the vet gave me so I would probably never want to go over that. I further diluted it with warm water (as per vet). good news is that I havent smelled 🐟 since 🥳

Back