Potty training Problem

Dogstudlover

Esteemed Citizen of ZV
Ok so, I have a Jack Russell mix that had lived outside for about 4yrs. Then I made her an inside dog and has been 1 for 3yrs now. She's never had any problems holding it in until I wake up and let her outside and she gets lots of time during the day to do her business anyway.
But now suddenly, when she sleeps at the 1 particular house, she just cant hold it in. It happened 3 times in a row last week. Stopped for the other house, was fine Monday night but now had a fat Shit last night. And then still proceeded to go AGAIN outside after getting scolded.

I don't know why she's doing that and what I can do.
Will appreciate any helpful tips from you guys🙏😁

If she's been having issues lately, I would schedule a vet apointment first and ensure there isn't an underlying cause.

Scolding, unless you catch them in the act, isn't likely to change the behavior. If this isn't a health problem but is instead a behavioral one, you'll want to think about what might be causing it. You mention 1 particular house, does that mean she doesn't do this other places but just at one location? If so could it be that another dog may have soiled there and she's marking over it?

I'd go over the usual potty training methods. Reward with treats and attention when they go outside. Feed at set schedules. Pick up the water bowl an hour before bedtime. Walks first thing in the morning and before bed as well as throughout the day. Limit their access to areas of the house, etc.

This is basic dog training 101 stuff.

Some links with more details.
How to potty train your dog or puppy
How to potty train an older dog who’s set in their ways
How to Potty Train an Older Dog

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe she gets anxiety from living in different houses week to week? Will she usually ask you to be let out when she has to go pee by standing next to and pawing at the door? Maybe she gets bothered by not knowing the layout of the house she's staying at and doesn't know what door to lead you to to let you know she wants to go out?
She's been in the other house for about half a year now. She definitely knows the layout, it's a small house 😂. She never ask to go outside at all
She just seemed to hold it in all day and then finally release it at night.

But she hasn't done it in a long time so I think the problem fixed itself🤞🤞

Back