Picture/Clip Post Magazine

A proper Turntable was 4 speeds....78 /45 /33 /16... each speed shone at particular things. Singles, usually recorded one side only were originally "wax" and were almost album sized. Sometimes a couple of short songs were on one. These played at 78rpm. Those were replaced fully by about 1954, by the 45rpm Boomers know and loved. Between more durable materials and increased consumption by Jukebox Players, the 45 was standard, with A and B sides.
The 33LP was useful for collections, Albums, which in the Early days, literally WERE Albums....Six or eight records in a bound book. What was a space hog became a practical storage for music.

And the 16 RPM? That was used for spoken word clarity. Dictation machines and those amusement park " Send Mom a valentine" booths often used it.
Interesting stuff. there. Thank-you!

I was subjected to some simply awful country and western music, day in, day out. I recall "little records" were either "45s" or "singles" and albums were "LPs". He had a few 78s and they were thick, heavy things and fragile. And they took up so much room!
There was a time when I would have agreed on C and W, but it has improved a lot. Wider appeal, and some of it rocks.

Back