Online Security

When I'm on here I use ProtonVPN and use Firefox focus as my browser. I also used a burner protonmail email for the account I made on here. Am I being safe enough, and are there better options for someone who has next to no money?

You can use TOR which is completely free and run in on Tails linux to not have any traces on your computer when you shut it down.

GENERAL POSTING

1. Do not use an identifiable avatar. This includes faces, tattoos, fursuits (especially if they are not yours)

2. Review every picture, every video you post multiple times. Look for identifiable things; houses, barns, unique saddles, collars with or without tags, pictures, furniture, mail, packages, collectibles, mirrors or anything can reflect your face or body, absolutely anything that can be used as identification.

3. If you have a unique pet, be very, very careful. If you have posted normal pictures anywhere, like facebook, twitter, ect., do not post him here or anywhere zoo themed. Even if you delete the social media pics, it's too late. ( Familiarize yourself with Reverse Image Search, what it is, and how it can be used against you )

4. Be careful with the information you post. Anyone with enough patience can piece together little things through pictures, descriptions, email addresses, anything to pinpoint who you are.

5. Use an email that is not attached to anything. Do not use real name, and do not setup a password recovery phone number or alternate email. Make yourself an absolute stand alone free email account and do not use it for anything else but zoo. Not even furry or fursuit related sites or accounts.

ONLINE SECURITY

1. Public IP addresses can be used to track your general location. We Recommend a VPN service like Nord VPN to mask your IP. ALWAYS USE VPN!

2. Use Strong Passwords on your ZooVille Account.

3. Whatsapp and Discord are NOT recommended services for private off-site chat. They have been known to be leaked and report info on users.

4. Telegram and Signal are considered safe in of themselves, however always used a VPN when logging onto telegram and also be wary of phishing for your IP address with external HTML links. This has been used before to catch users NOT using VPN on telegram or Signal.

5. Public telegram links to group chats are allowed here on zooville if you own a group (see site rules), however be aware that bestiality is illegal in many countries. Law enforcement can phish users out into private chats is a common way to trace and doxx your identity. TRUST and RESPONSIBILITY is on your hands for whomever private chats you join.
I usually click on account profile pics to see the full picture for accounts that peak my interest. Over the last several weeks I've noticed several that have shown faces in the full pic. I message that member and tell her that her profile pic shows her face when the profile pic is clicked on. Many people don't know that the full pic is upload instead of being cropped and that the full pic can be easily seen just by clicking on the profile pic. That's especially true for new members.

If I may suggest informing people that the full pic is uploaded instead of cropped when the window to upload a profile pic is loaded. Maybe nice bold print in all-caps would help them see any such warning. Or in the alternative just have the image cropped instead of uploading the full pic.

I'd really appreciate some advice from all you lovely peeps with technical knowledge. I have a mac desktop and laptop which i use for zoo. I have a dedicated profile on each and I run Nord VPN and Tor to browse this forum and the chat. I feel like my setup is secure, though would appreciate any advise anyone could give me on encrypting my separate zoo profiles on my macs. Also, one thing that I dont think has been mentioned on here is media. How do you guys/gals deal with the security around downloading any media or do you use other methods like a cloud service?

Finally, one thing that drives me mad at the moment is how slow my setup is. The above question regarding media is relevant as it is almost impossible for me to stream anything with my setup. Even a ten second video on here is taking minutes to buffer. Anything larger and it is just not worth bothering so I end up having to view media via Firefox just sat behind the VPN. Any ideas about speeding up this setup?

For clarity, I'm in the UK where this content is very illegal (FFS), but I do have 1gb fibre broadband which via my setup feels much more like 'dial-up'!

I was wondering was it enough to do basics, such as not giving your private information to other people ,not using your real name for a acc name and not using your face for a pfp or should i use a VPN and such other things. If you have any tips/ recommendations I will be more then happy to hear from you :)

I'd really appreciate some advice from all you lovely peeps with technical knowledge. I have a mac desktop and laptop which i use for zoo. I have a dedicated profile on each and I run Nord VPN and Tor to browse this forum and the chat. I feel like my setup is secure, though would appreciate any advise anyone could give me on encrypting my separate zoo profiles on my macs. Also, one thing that I dont think has been mentioned on here is media. How do you guys/gals deal with the security around downloading any media or do you use other methods like a cloud service?

Finally, one thing that drives me mad at the moment is how slow my setup is. The above question regarding media is relevant as it is almost impossible for me to stream anything with my setup. Even a ten second video on here is taking minutes to buffer. Anything larger and it is just not worth bothering so I end up having to view media via Firefox just sat behind the VPN. Any ideas about speeding up this setup?

For clarity, I'm in the UK where this content is very illegal (FFS), but I do have 1gb fibre broadband which via my setup feels much more like 'dial-up'!
Generally, I would go towards an encrypted container, maybe by using Veracrypt. If you are already on ARM, things might become more complicated. So maybe google for MacOS + encrypted container

Once you got your encrypted container, you should be able to install a browser manually into that container, ideally by drag and drop. I believe that will require a classic download and might not be easy when going through the Apple App Store. I would recommend a dedicated browser type - like Firefox for DoggyStyle and Safari for everything else. Maybe also configure a special Theme so it is freakish obvious what browser you are using to keep things separate and not accidentally use private logins with your DoggyStyle stuff.

Naturally, all downloads and archive would go also into that container.

Some research might be advisable how MacOS handles apps. I do believe all app data resides within the location of the installation of the app. But I am not sure.

If you want to add a little cherry, move everything into a Virtual Machine. Usually that means you can no longer use MacOS as that could be a pain to fit into a VM. But again, google is your friend here. A VM has the advantage that you have a much harder separation of your real life vs your doggy style persona. But it requires also a lot more technical skill.

GENERAL POSTING

1. Do not use an identifiable avatar. This includes faces, tattoos, fursuits (especially if they are not yours)

2. Review every picture, every video you post multiple times. Look for identifiable things; houses, barns, unique saddles, collars with or without tags, pictures, furniture, mail, packages, collectibles, mirrors or anything can reflect your face or body, absolutely anything that can be used as identification.

3. If you have a unique pet, be very, very careful. If you have posted normal pictures anywhere, like facebook, twitter, ect., do not post him here or anywhere zoo themed. Even if you delete the social media pics, it's too late. ( Familiarize yourself with Reverse Image Search, what it is, and how it can be used against you )

4. Be careful with the information you post. Anyone with enough patience can piece together little things through pictures, descriptions, email addresses, anything to pinpoint who you are.

5. Use an email that is not attached to anything. Do not use real name, and do not setup a password recovery phone number or alternate email. Make yourself an absolute stand alone free email account and do not use it for anything else but zoo. Not even furry or fursuit related sites or accounts.

ONLINE SECURITY

1. Public IP addresses can be used to track your general location. We Recommend a VPN service like Nord VPN to mask your IP. ALWAYS USE VPN!

3. Whatsapp and Discord are NOT recommended services for private off-site chat. They have been known to be leaked and report info on users.

4. Telegram and Signal are considered safe in of themselves, however always used a VPN when logging onto telegram and also be wary of phishing for your IP address with external HTML links. This has been used before to catch users NOT using VPN on telegram or Signal.

5. Public telegram links to group chats are allowed here on zooville if you own a group (see site rules), however be aware that bestiality is illegal in many countries. Law enforcement can phish users out into private chats is a common way to trace and doxx your identity. TRUST and RESPONSIBILITY is on your hands for whomever private chats you join.
Thanks for the info

Thank you all for all your advice.

Personally, I discourage anyone to use only VPN as it is well documented that VPN companies always logs what you do. Even companies like Nordvpn, that advertise them as "no log vpn company" have antecedents of collaboration with law enforcement (interesting reading https://uk.pcmag.com/vpn/138232/nordvpn-actually-we-do-comply-with-law-enforcement-data-requests). I recommend anyone interested or using VPN to read this: https://gist.github.com/joepie91/5a9909939e6ce7d09e29 I think it is a worth reading blog post about VPN.

I personally use TOR browser and, sometimes, for extra security, a live usb of linux distribution, so it does not leave any trace on the computer. I also use protonmail over TOR as email provider (which remains a private company, so we do not know how our data are used).

Thank for all participant of this thread, I think we too often underestimate the importance of security and privacy when browsing the internet ;)

thank you for posting all the good information here! i hadnt thought about so many points that people have made in this thread. security is very important for all of us, thanks again to everyone for sharing the knowledge

Anyone know how to use tor with a proxy? i honestly never figured that out - and id like to use TOR behind a proxy so sites dont know im using TOR - clearnet sites, this way i leave no traces behind at all and no identifiable information while browsing

I really would like to post some stories i been doing but i am too nervous to do it. i do have NordVPN but i dont use it a lot when i know i should. do i just activate it when i visit here?

Anyone know how to use tor with a proxy? i honestly never figured that out - and id like to use TOR behind a proxy so sites dont know im using TOR - clearnet sites, this way i leave no traces behind at all and no identifiable information while browsing
Well I just turn on Tor and turn on a VPN. I assume that way if the IP leaks that it would seem that my IP is the VPN one?

Would using Tor and VPN at the same time be more track-proof than just one or the other? Some websites don't fully work with Tor.
Using TOR and VPN together can, in and of itself, cause security problems, or so say the experts. I'm not up on the exact details, only that it's been repeatedly said, by those who should know, to be a bad, sometimes disastrous idea. Use TOR, or use VPN, but don't use BOTH TOGETHER, is the standing advice for online security. If you're "hyper secure", use TOR. If you're "casual secure", use VPN. Either one is better than "running barefoot", which leaves *EVERYTHING* hanging out there for whoever cares to bother to intercept it.

TOR (At least in theory) wraps each packet up and encrypts it, then sends it to the TOR gateway. Between your machine and the TOR gateway, the only thing that can be determined is "This IP address sent a data packet to a TOR gateway - what were the contents and destination of the packet? Unless/until we break the encryption, nobody can tell." Once inside the gateway, it becomes part of the circulating pool of packets, becoming effectively anonymous, though it's possible for it to be read by the TOR network. THEORETICALLY, it gets encrypted again before it leave the TOR exit node to make the final jump to wherever it's bound. Then the whole operation happens again with whatever response the machine you sent it to, before any response gets handed back to you.

VPN does some voodoo that makes the packet (usually sent in the clear, though I understand there's a way to do it encrypted) you send via the VPN gets shuffled 'round and 'round and 'round for a while before it gets spit out, leaving anybody at the "in-gate" with no idea where it was actually going, and gets to the intended machine. Which does the same thing in reverse with whatever response your packet triggers.

After reading 50 percent of this thread I’ve come to the conclusion that if you want to upload ANYTHING, it’s a good idea to use a dedicated Mac or PC using Tor only. My 3 questions are, (and sorry if this has been answered) which would have more security, Mac or Pc? I’m going to assume Mac…. My second question is, will wiping a Mac or PC be enough to make sure it’s clean, or do I need an entirely new device? Lastly, if the router being used is the one provided by the internet provider, is any of what you do on the internet secure, or do they literally just have all of your data at the tips of their fingers? Bonus question is, are there any security issues with any well known video editors? Also, I’m open to recommendations, thanks in advance.

which would have more security, Mac or Pc?
Does not matter, install linux on the hardware or use a live system like Tails linux.
will wiping a Mac or PC be enough to make sure it’s clean, or do I need an entirely new device?
Use a live distro which does not use a hard drive.
if the router being used is the one provided by the internet provider, is any of what you do on the internet secure, or do they literally just have all of your data at the tips of their fingers?
Home routers usually do not log all user data.
Though your provider does not need that, all the traffic is going throgh them anyway. Use TOR.
Bonus question is, are there any security issues with any well known video editors?
Always remove metadata from the files you want to upload.

What about using an IPad versus a computer? thats all I use to go to any adult sites.

Never my computer and I’ve stopped using my phone for sites. usually used it when in bed to , U know,………play with myself! …..not necessary to the conversation but I thought it was funny!

I usually click on account profile pics to see the full picture for accounts that peak my interest. Over the last several weeks I've noticed several that have shown faces in the full pic. I message that member and tell her that her profile pic shows her face when the profile pic is clicked on. Many people don't know that the full pic is upload instead of being cropped and that the full pic can be easily seen just by clicking on the profile pic. That's especially true for new members.

If I may suggest informing people that the full pic is uploaded instead of cropped when the window to upload a profile pic is loaded. Maybe nice bold print in all-caps would help them see any such warning. Or in the alternative just have the image cropped instead of uploading the full pic.
What if all uploaded profile pics had to be mod approved and they could get that message before it even goes live?

Does not matter, install linux on the hardware or use a live system like Tails linux.

Use a live distro which does not use a hard drive.

Home routers usually do not log all user data.
Though your provider does not need that, all the traffic is going throgh them anyway. Use TOR.

Always remove metadata from the files you want to upload.
What is tails Linux? Is a google search going to tell me what I need to know without complicating the issue?
I need “internet security for dummies”! my brain, for whatever reason, cannot wrap around a lot of what many of you talk about and explain. my Brain just blocks it out!

What is tails Linux? Is a google search going to tell me what I need to know without complicating the issue?
I need “internet security for dummies”! my brain, for whatever reason, cannot wrap around a lot of what many of you talk about and explain. my Brain just blocks it out!
They have extensive documentation.

-encrypt your stuff even if you dont have anything illegal
-if youre going to meet someone do years of personal research and never meet for sexual reasons in the first place
-never post sexual pics online for a group or a forum
-never share sexual pics where you or your animals could be identified
-never share personal content if you havent met irl and are sure about each others intentions

maybe one can break of or two above but not all
Thanks for this advice

GENERAL POSTING

ONLINE SECURITY

Thanks. This is pretty intensive. Lots to consider.

Metadata is stripped.
Plus, can't control what pictures they take.
Good to know that metadata is automatically stripped

Thank you so much for your knowledge...not just for anyone, but everyone visiting foreign sites outside there own country....many out there to enjoy safe in a secure playing field. Like to see more safety measures taken for everyone's enjoyment. This is a special place where reality is real sensitive opening secrets will hold. Again, thank you!
I agree. Thanks.

Tor Browser is the safest available method. It is built on Firefox ESR and highly customized to protect you in ways a standard browser can't. But web browsers all have flaws, so it's still possible to find and exploit those flaws to escape the browser to the host operating system and reveal who you are. The way to mitigate that possibility is to increase the security level in Tor Browser from 'Standard' to 'Safer' or 'Safest' and try to put up with websites being kind of messed up. It varies from site to site.

If you're really concerned about that kind of intrusion, you have to run Tor Browser in a disposable environment like TAILS or Qubes-whonix. TAILS is easy, Qubes is hard. Try TAILS sometime if you haven't, it's pretty nice.

It's more nuanced than that. Combining Tor with a VPN hurts performance, offers little to no extra protection, and is only useful in rare circumstances. There are two combinations. The "X" marks a connection that is outside the Tor network and not protected by Tor:

(You) <---> (VPN) <---> (Tor) <-x-> (Website)

In this case, the VPN provider is not able to read your Tor traffic. Your connection to Tor is highly resistant to man-in-the-middle attacks. This is one of Tor's most important features because it enables you to use internet connections you don't trust.

Maybe do this if your local network is blocking Tor traffic but not VPN connections, and only after trying to connect to Tor directly with an unpublished Tor Bridge first.

Maybe do this if you're unable to turn off WebRTC without breaking a website you want to use. Certain functions in WebRTC can leak your real IP, so in that case a VPN could offer a little bit of protection. This only applies other browsers you are connecting to Tor by proxy, which you should never do unless absolutely forced, and to Tor Browsers on iOS which all have to use Apple's Safari browser underneath.

(You) <---> (Tor) <-x-> (VPN) <-x-> (Website)

In this case, the VPN provider is able to read your Tor traffic, because it has already left the Tor network. However, the VPN will only see that it is traffic coming from a Tor exit node, and the VPN will know who you are because you subscribed to them. Some VPNs like Mullvad allow anonymous signup and payment. The content of your traffic could reveal enough personal information for others to deanonymize you.

Doing this is a bad idea and the need for it is very rare. Basically it's a way to hide the fact you're using Tor from a website that blanket blocks connections from Tor exit nodes, since exit nodes are well known. However you lose some anonymity because your traffic is more unique and interesting. To an outside observer, you are no longer a Tor user with traffic coming from a Tor exit node like all the others, you're a VPN user with regular traffic on one side and Tor traffic on the other. That's not great.

In either case you are creating nested TCP connections, which can be very finicky and slow.

?
This is mind numbingly complicated for those of us who don't have the kind of technical knowledge on display in this conversation. What is the risk level of participating in Zooville just using a standard cell phone with no bells and whistles...?

Out of curiosity, other than ostracism , shunnings etc... What are the fines/incarceration? Let's say EU and North America. How bad can it get?

I don't use vpn or nothing on my phone browser Willynilly but I also don't give a fuck what people think of my porn habits. someone explain?

Also echelon makes vpn/tor an imaginary security, like the guy above said, if someone wants to know, they will.
I'm with you

For me I use brave, running a vpn in the background and the browser with TOR, i always use a vpn tho unless im gaming or something. Dont like anyone seeing my data in general.

This is mind numbingly complicated for those of us who don't have the kind of technical knowledge on display in this conversation. What is the risk level of participating in Zooville just using a standard cell phone with no bells and whistles...?
Basically, you're not just asking for trouble - you're sending it an engraved invitation, offering to send a limo to pick it up, and begging it to slap the everlovin' dogshit outta ya when it arrives.

I think as long as you don't post anything identifable, if they know how to get to a private browser (incognito) and can remember their details, they may get by just with that. But also depending on the area they're in. As long as they're not saving content, as in the US, a couple of states forbid having zoo porn.

I think as long as you don't post anything identifable, if they know how to get to a private browser (incognito) and can remember their details, they may get by just with that. But also depending on the area they're in. As long as they're not saving content, as in the US, a couple of states forbid having zoo porn.
I know having sex with animals is a crime in my state. I'll have to check to see if possession of zoo porn is, too (I don't think it is....)

I use TOR, as I assume most of you guys do as well.
I do use a Windows device, because, well... I'm poor.

I've wondered how much I've been watched over the years by [insert surveillance group name here] but all in all, nothing has happened. Although, I haven't done anything illegal. Viewing zoo porn is "okay" but possessing it is a grey area where I am, from what I understand.
Engaging in it, abetting it, and producing zoo porn is outright illegal, which I guess my inexperience leaves me in a bit more of a favorable position. Because I haven't broken any laws in my state, and don't reeeeally have any plans to. (Not that I'm accusing anyone here of that.)
Unless new laws pass that make viewing zoo porn outright banned and punishable, I don't think I personally have much to be concerned with. Except of course, for the possibility of new laws passing.

The bigoted and willful misunderstanding of a sexual interest in non-humans can be argued by us all we want, but at the end of the day, the argument is being aimed at brick walls. Even fantasy talk is sort've seen as immoral, despite furry communities being more accepted than ever.

I'm sure we're all familiar with To Catch a Predator. I'm by no means comparing any zoophile to predators, please bear in mind. But every time a predator is caught, they were very, very careless. Personal emails, no VPNs, personal phone numbers, various other personal details, showing up in person, etc. Even though Chris Hanson probably won't be asking any of us to take a seat because we showed up expecting a dog owner we met online anytime soon, a bit of common sense will go a long way.

And perhaps the biggest thing is to keep the actual physical abusers of animals out of this community. I don't think there's many of us that like being swept into the same category as some of the more sick folks who downright torture animals. And having a good sense of what screams "catfish." Neighborhood watch definitely needs to be everyone's responsibility. I guess that's the tax of Zooville.
According to this:
https://www.indy100.com/viral/animal-porn-us-states-legal-where-zoophile-zoophelia-oregon-9300871
There was only one state in the United States where possession of zoo porn is illegal.

I know having sex with animals is a crime in my state. I'll have to check to see if possession of zoo porn is, too (I don't think it is....)

Some good news, anyway: possession of zoo porn is illegal and only one of the 50 states

Also, thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. Much appreciated!
Agreed. It's been a real eye-opener

Yeah I think when I signed up I saw a recommendation for Proton Mail and that seems to work good. I've just recently started using the Tor browser and It seems good but kinda slow. Maybe with the encryption that's just the nature of it, Idon't know.
I'm using the proton mail also. Thanks to the site for the suggestion

Two things…..what is meta data And the second, I downloaded the Tails Linux to my iPad but I didn’t see it was doing anything. I’m definitely a computer tech dummie.

According to this:
https://www.indy100.com/viral/animal-porn-us-states-legal-where-zoophile-zoophelia-oregon-9300871
There was only one state in the United States where possession of zoo porn is illegal.

Some good news, anyway: possession of zoo porn is illegal and only one of the 50 states

Agreed. It's been a real eye-opener

I'm using the proton mail also. Thanks to the site for the suggestion
I also have Protonmail but also Proton VPN. I connect through that most of the time If not all the time. I’m not 100% sure how I’m being protected but I’m using it,

I attempted to contact a specific moderator, but have been unsuccessful so far.

Is it possible to have one contact me when able?

Back