My GSD and training

Tom121

Tourist
20231118_140325.jpg
20231118_140329.jpg
This is my 4 months old GSD. I'm currently training him to be a good boy and pass some training tests when he gets older.
Anyone here that also trained their dogs to pass test ( we call it BH test in my country) or even went to some dog exhibition and won some prizes?

Last edited:
I work with several amazing canine athletes (none of my own, sadly) and I volunteer at agility competitions all the time!

What an amazing boy, and you must post an update when he passes his exams! Is the BH test the one that is the preliminary to Schutzhund training?

Is the BH test the one that is the preliminary to Schutzhund training?
I don't know because this is my first dog and I'm new to this training, but I know that he has to know how to: heel,stay,come,sit,down/lay and have good focus to pass the test.

Your first dog! You are doing such a good job starting on the right foot raising him! it brings my veterinarian heart so much joy to see someone devoted to doing right by their doggo as a puppy and teaching him manners and how to be a gentleman rather than spoiling him rotten and allowing him to develop bad habits that will make him difficult to deal with as an adult. Especially for a GSD. Excellent job!

Don't worry to much. If you don't need it for something like dog sports, take your time. Enjoy the first 2 years. Get him through puberty and get a bit better day by day. I think of making a certificate with my dog but more to prove it to myself, as it is my first dog. What are your reasons for wanting the certification?

What are your reasons for wanting the certification?
To prove to myself and others that I really care about him and that I didn't buy him just to show of like: " oh look what a cute puppy I have" and then forget about him when he grows up.

And he is pure breed so I'm also planing to go to some dog shows with him.

This is his dad:
Snimka zaslona 2023-12-09 110147.png
He got his training certification and won many dog show rewards so I want his son to continue his legacy :D

Last edited:
View attachment 510566
View attachment 510570
This is my 4 months old GSD. I'm currently training him to be a good boy and pass some training tests when he gets older.
Anyone here that also trained their dogs to pass test ( we call it BH test in my country) or even went to some dog exhibition and won some prizes?
I train and compete in Schutzhund/IGP and have archieved a few BHs. Feel free to pm if you have any questions or need advice.
If you’re going to do the BH, might as well do all 3 phases and go for the full IGP1. Get a conformation rating, get his hips/elbows SV certified, do an AD test, finally get your KKL breed survey. Then if you decide to breed him(assuming he’s of breedable quality and had achieved everything I just mentioned) yoyre good to go.

Find a schutzhund club local to you and join them, get involved. Even if you only want to get a BH, you need to start now. You need to build engagement, develop his food and prey drives. This is a critical stage for his future training, take advantage of it.

Beautiful dog! I love shepherds. I hope your training has been going well.

I have done some obedience training with my husky, and had hoped to get into some dog sports. Sadly, I don't think she will be cut out for that, but the training in general is great no matter what.

Back