My experience coming out to friends...

Tailsworth

Tourist
Over my lifetime so far I have come out as a zoo to about 3 people who were non-zoo. It really wasn't as bad as you may think.
The first friend that I told was more inquisitive about it than anything else. He asked all the whys, hows, what kinds, kind of questions but he still remained my friend and he never outed me to anyone else.
The second friend was mostly dismissive, I think that's the best way to describe it. She just seemed to think it was some quirky fantasy thing that wasn't real, and over time we drifted apart.
The third one I remember turned out to be zoo-curious and I lost touch with her after she moved several times, but I got the impression that she might become an active zoo someday.

Has anyone else had this type of experience and what was it like for you?

P.S. Sorry if there is another thread for this, I honestly was lazy and didn't do a search to see.

I've had good experiences in the past coming out to longtime friends I went to school with. It was still very scary each time I did it, but it was something I felt I needed to do for the sake of our friendship and a deeper understanding of each other.

I've also told one friend that I met as an adult, on Grindr. It was the most reckless instance of me coming out to someone. We were talking for several days on Grindr about life, and mostly about our dogs. When we finally decided to meet up and fool around a bit, it didn't take long of his [big intact] dogs being nosy and "rude" to get me perked up too. As it turns out though, he's not zoo. He took my coming out well though and we're still great friends and walk dogs together every now and then. I don't talk much about my zooiness or anything to him though because I do get the vibe that it makes him uncomfortable. Despite that, there were a few instances when his dogs joined in to our fooling around and he didn't stop them. I think he's got some unprocessed thoughts that I don't want to push him on. He's got over 20 years on me so I know he grew up in a different time and way and all.

I have come out to two of my housemates who I also consider my friends. They are very accepting and understanding. I want to come out to another friend too at some point soo, and I think it'll go well. Here's hoping 🤞

I told many of my friends, most of them accepted. I don't think they care, they don't deal with it. Some people were curious about a few things. I didn't have a negative experience, but now I don't tell anyone. I was braver when I was younger. :ROFLMAO:

I told many of my friends, most of them accepted. I don't think they care, they don't deal with it. Some people were curious about a few things. I didn't have a negative experience, but now I don't tell anyone. I was braver when I was younger. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, older age has certainly made me a lot more cautious. That, and society has changed a lot since I was young and reckless.

Back