Masturbation is older than humanity

AppleDash

Citizen of Zooville
Just something I read today in the Guardian. Apparently evolutionary biologists have been able to trace back the origins of masturbation to ancient primates.

They still haven't figured out "the conundrum" of masturbation, arguing that from an evolutionary point of view, it is a waste of resources. I see their point, but I wonder whether you could also argue that masturbation shows the sexual prowess of the individual, and that masturbating (non)human animals are happy (non)human animals. And why shouldn't happiness being a life goal on its own?

Of course, the researchers stated "more data was needed" - take that as you like - but what I find interesting is that 1) it shows that masturbation is perfectly natural behaviour and no need for (human) shame, and 2) that this is yet another behaviour that shows humans are not that different from other animals.

Non-human animals masturbate. So in my opinion it is reasonable to say that animals far before primates did masturbate in certain situations. If the circumstances allowed them to discover playing with their genitals feels nice, any animal should have the capacity to learn to masturbate.

Not every behavior needs to be an evolutionary imperative. Some things are just side effects of the things we did evolve that were critical. It is critical that animals breed in order for their species to continue. Animals who derive pleasure from sex obviously will be more inclined to mate, and so evolution selected for that. The side effect of animals that feel pleasure during sexual experiences is that they will be inclined to masturbate because it feels good.

Reactions: pes
ya, masturbating causes blindness..did you not know that..kkkkkk, my gawd, the stupidity

If we accept the theory that the universe is cyclical, then masturbation is older than this universe.
Because it feels so nice that any other life that could have ever existed in the past must have discovered it. :D

Back