Looking for advice

rex64

Tourist
I've been in a committed relationship with my partner for many years now. She's a female chihuahua/terrier, and I'm completely monogamous with her. I absolutely adore her. Thing is, she's getting up there in years. I know I wouldn't be here without her, and even the thought of "replacing" her makes me sick. But at the same time, I can't see myself without an animal partner.

But the thing is, she wasn't really planned. I've had her since I was very young, and things evolved between us naturally. I'm older now and know myself and my desires much more clearly, and I plan on putting a lot of thought into my new partner.
I'm new to these forums, but I've noticed a lot of things brought up that I hadn't even really considered before. I'll be looking for a decent sized male dog (medium to large) when it's time for me to find my next partner. But I've seen things in the forums about how the dog's size should be similar to your own for example, something I wouldn't have even thought about.

I also know I don't want to neuter my partner, but I want to be well educated about it. I have very little experience with male dogs, I've only ever owned females. Let alone in-tact males. I want to know as much as I can. Is their behavior different? Are there any health risks if they're not neutered? And so on. I've heard stories about how in-tact males will always mark inside, or will escape to mate with females. But I also know a lot of people don't put much effort into training their animal companions (sadly, since it's always the animal that ends up paying for that neglect) let alone help to relieve them of their sexual desires.

I was also interested in the potential of having 1-3 males, depending on what feels right at the time or potential rescues (I'm such a sucker for rescues) or maybe even having a spayed female or two, though it's unlikely I'd be sexually active with any females. Can multiple in-tact males get along? Are they more likely to fight or mark? Even if I do my best to divide my attention equally, will there be issues with jealousy or dominance if I were sexually active with all of them at once?

I'm also disabled. I can walk and care for a dog, but I need a breed that's going to be satisfied with things like fetch or being allowed to run in a yard without much involvement on my part (though of course I would still sit outside with them and whatnot) so I need to factor my health in as well.

I guess I'm just looking to talk to people who have more experience with these kinds of things. I want to know what kinds of breeds may suit me, and what things to watch out for in a male canine partner, if anything. I want to know everything I can about this. I'd love to discuss things through PM or even off site on Discord, but I'll take any advice any way you're willing to give it.

God willing, I won't have to part with my current partner any time soon. But when the time does come, I know I'll have to find someone new. And I want to be well prepared and know as much as I can for when that time comes, both for the sake of myself and especially for the sake of my future partner(s)

Give me a message if you still need someone to talk to on this.

Back