long lasting chews?

DobieDogo

Zooville Settler
so I tried a 6 inch bully stick today… my 6 month old boy finished it off in under 30 minutes. The separation anxiety is killing me ;_; might get a jumbo 12 inch next time and see how long that lasts… kind of desperate because I feel like a prisoner sometimes.

any recommendations for chews that last longer than 60 minutes?

My dog has a tendency to choke on bits of the chewing dried hide these things are made of. He does not know how much he can safely swallow. So I do not leave him alone with it. Your dog might be different, so this is just a thing to keep an eye on.
One thing that worked for my dog and took him a very long time was a dried tendon. The texture is much tougher, it does not tear easily and apparently it tastes very good. Smells horrible though. :D

Agree with Pes, lots of dogs choke on those, best to supervise when they chew them.
You can check out the Toppl, there's 2 sizes that fit into eachother and create a puzzle. not cheap but unless you have a power chewer, that company's products are quite durable.
If it's affecting your quality of life, maybe talk to your vet about it, there's a bunch of products like DAP, supplements, excercises and even meds that can help, depending how bad it is.

The hard rubber toys, such as the Kong brand that @RexAndMe mentioned tend to be good.
I've used the hard nylon chews too, but they leave tiny fragments which cling to fabrics and carpeting, but can be an option for chewers who just don't like the softer hard rubber; though they pose some risk of cracking teeth. Bones and antler also should be avoided due to the increase risks of tooth damage.

Not always an option, but a good bit of exercise is the best.

Ah so yall also have pups that like to kill tennis balls. I got a Kong ball a while back it's soft enough to chew on and thick enough rubber that they can't tear it apart before that I went through a pack of tennis balls in about a week.

My dog has a tendency to choke on bits of the chewing dried hide these things are made of. He does not know how much he can safely swallow. So I do not leave him alone with it. Your dog might be different, so this is just a thing to keep an eye on.
One thing that worked for my dog and took him a very long time was a dried tendon. The texture is much tougher, it does not tear easily and apparently it tastes very good. Smells horrible though. :D
The bully sticks are actually made of beef Pizzle (🍆) which is why they’re ridiculously expensive (bulls only have the one wiener)… But I thought it would last longer than 20 mins. I will have to look into tried tendon thanks!

I do not recommend Nylabones. They last a long time, but my boy slab fractured 2 teeth on them several years back.
my boy is currently working on an extra large beneful wishbone… seems to like it. i’d say he’s a moderate chewer. I would definitely not recommend them for aggressive chewers due to the fracturing concern.

Attachments

• 70A8EB9B-2120-4E1D-A06D-B413634D7277.jpeg
    70A8EB9B-2120-4E1D-A06D-B413634D7277.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
Ah so yall also have pups that like to kill tennis balls. I got a Kong ball a while back it's soft enough to chew on and thick enough rubber that they can't tear it apart before that I went through a pack of tennis balls in about a week.

I can't let mine have balls, not that it'll get destroyed but you won't get any respite from it constantly be jammed at you to throw.

I have a few of those already that I fill and freeze…was more thinking edible chews sorry.
A PB filled Kong that's been frozen is a nice treat to occupy them for a bit, isn't it? :p

You could give a Kong a shot, but I personally didn't have any luck with it. Even filled with peanut butter, neither of my girls would touch it for some reason. I've had luck with the synthetic bones marked for "Xxxtreme Chewers!!!! ®" The worst bone I had ever gotten was the Bully Stick brand, they went through that in a matter of a couple of hours. Of course with all things you're uncertain about, I definitely would supervise him.

I would avoid flat rawhide strip chews, my boy almost choked when chomping one of them one day, he had been going at it for a while and it softened a bit, so the big clown thought he would just swallow it whole, fortunately he had a coughing fit and got it back up enough I managed to get a hold on it and pull it out again.

So he only got the rawhide chews that were shaped like bones after that which even his big mouth couldn't swallow whole.

Reactions: pes
I would also watch out for how much of this material your dog consumes.
I have not studied it much because my dog only gets these occasionally and it usually takes him weeks to consume it.
He is much more fond of spending hours looking for a place where to hide his new shiny treat rather than to eat it. :D Unless it is something exceptionally tasty. The rawhide things usually end up buried in the garden and brought back 6 months later. :D

But I heard that the rawhide chewtoys do not provide any nutrition and take a lot of time to digest which may cause harm. I do not know how much truth is in this claim, but you can probably ask your vet about it.

I would also watch out for how much of this material your dog consumes.
I have not studied it much because my dog only gets these occasionally and it usually takes him weeks to consume it.
He is much more fond of spending hours looking for a place where to hide his new shiny treat rather than to eat it. :D Unless it is something exceptionally tasty. The rawhide things usually end up buried in the garden and brought back 6 months later. :D

But I heard that the rawhide chewtoys do not provide any nutrition and take a lot of time to digest which may cause harm. I do not know how much truth is in this claim, but you can probably ask your vet about it.
I think it might depend on the country you live in and the regulations on pet foods, but things that take a long time to eat can definitely cause issues from sore jaws to damaged to the mouth. So moderation in all things is best and I would only give him 1/2 an hour with any treat before I would trade some dry foot bits for the treat to give his mouth a rest from the gnawing.

Back