Local cuisine!

@Dutch35
Next time go to Netherlands, remind me to bring a big stick to hit the Dutch guy in my company.

We were there in a training, tried most restaurants in town. Italian, Morocco, chinese, mongolian... McDonalds 🤣 So of course we asked the guy if there was any restaurant we could have traditional Dutch cuisine.

After some thought he said he did not think so as there was mostly no "Dutch" cuisine but mostly collected recipes from the world.

And now, you came with all thise tantalizing dishes!! 😱🤤

@Dutch35
Next time go to Netherlands, remind me to bring a big stick to hit the Dutch guy in my company.

We were there in a training, tried most restaurants in town. Italian, Morocco, chinese, mongolian... McDonalds 🤣 So of course we asked the guy if there was any restaurant we could have traditional Dutch cuisine.

After some thought he said he did not think so as there was mostly no "Dutch" cuisine but mostly collected recipes from the world.

And now, you came with all thise tantalizing dishes!! 😱🤤
Haha

Well he is right in some kind of way, a lot of our restaurants are more focussed on dishes around the world.

We aren't really known for a lot for our cooking.

Also some of our older dishes are getting lost trough time...

We even have a thing called "vergeten groente" forgotten vegetables..

For instance Parsnip..

I know it's more commonly used in other kitchens, but you hardly hear about it here because the later generations stopped using it and even forgot about it :)

And now for something more sweet!

download.jpeg
This is called a "Spoorpunt"

It's kind of a regional thing linked to the province of Utrecht. And they are pretty hard to find these days 😔

Basically it's a cake made out of the leftovers (trimmings, broken products) in the bakery.

So they mixed those leftovers, formed it into a cake and added pink frosting to it!

They are really tasty and filling!

This one is not for everyone.

Erwtensoep or peasoup is made from split peas. It’s so thick it looks more like porridge than a soup.

img_044392_1224x900_JPG.jpg

Traditionally this Dutch soup is m mostly served in the wintertime.
other vegetables except for the split peas are celeriac, leeks, carrots and onions in there as well as cheap cuts of pork such as the leg, pork chops and rookworst (a dutch type of smoked sausage).
Erwtensoep is also called snert and is usually served with rye bread and bacon.

Erwtensoep or peasoup is made from split peas. It’s so thick it looks more like porridge than a soup.

View attachment 393400

other vegetables except for the split peas are celeriac, leeks, carrots and onions in there as well as cheap cuts of pork such as the leg, pork chops and rookworst (a dutch type of smoked sausage).
Pea soup is no stranger in my family. Potatoes carrots and ham hocks from past dinners.

Salad "Olivie". Popular in Russia.
Chopped cubes of boiled potatoes, carrots, brined dill pickles, green peas, eggs, celery, onions, and diced boiled ham. Everything get mixed together with salt and mayonnaise. This is heaven.

1511345018_29241_1511344920_0916681olivier_salad.jpg

View attachment 393400

It may be that because its Dutch, and my family was living in New Amsterdam in 1640, it filtered in, but Pea soup is a normal menu item with us.

This menu is from a place I go in Gardnerville Nevada​

Dinner:​

These are lamb chops....but the menu any given day in a basque joint will have Salmon, Chicken, Chorizo, Oxtail, Strip or Top Sirloin and some other things

Includes: Soup, Salad, Stew, Beans, French Fries, Bottle of Red Wine, Coffee & Ice Cream

Attachments

• slide2.jpg
    slide2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 9
I'm sorry for your loss ;)
lol...We didnt lose, love...Ever hear of a NY Village called Graavensaand? Or Lady Deborah Moody?
Im laughing mostly because I think you two would have gotten on well...she wss described by John Winthrop, Governor of Massachussetts Bay as " an Inconvenient woman" just before she flipped him the bone and went down coast to The New Amsterdam Colony...There to make a deal with the Dutch to build her own colony....about seven of my ancestors and their families went with her....

lol...We didnt lose, love...Ever hear of a NY Village called Graavensaand? Or Lady Deborah Moody?
Im laughing mostly because I think you two would have gotten on well...she wss described by John Winthrop, Governor of Massachussetts Bay as " an Inconvenient woman" just before she flipped him the bone and went down coast to The New Amsterdam Colony...There to make a deal with the Dutch to build her own colony....about seven of my ancestors and their families went with her....
Oh I was just talking about the pea soup, awful stuff. (And even sadder, probably the only thing in this thread I'd actually feel comfortable eating if it wasn't so gross)

Ohhhhhh....See I thought you were referring to the loss of New Amsterdam to the Brits later on....I ❤️NY....even if I dont live there.

Burgoo stew. Having some southern background in the old helix we ate this quite a bit. It’s your typical stew however when the bois got home from a hunting trip the royal three went in the pot . Venison and wild turkey and squirrel.
It must be made in a cast iron Dutch oven over a fire. Or it ain’t burgoo.

1683952451861.jpeg

Burgoo stew. Having some southern background in the old helix we ate this quite a bit. It’s your typical stew however when the bois got home from a hunting trip the royal three went in the pot . Venison and wild turkey and squirrel.
It must be made in a cast iron Dutch oven over a fire. Or it ain’t burgoo.

View attachment 393584
Yummm....also known as a brunswick Stew a little further north.

Nah....they both go back a minmum of two hundred years...Brunswick Stew is a Georgia thing....from a town of the Name...Burgoo was a Virginia thing, thats still A Williamsburg dish in the town taverns...

Yeah you are right, it's just the fillet of a herring.

We eat it with dices onions and some with pickles.

You can get it cut to smaller pieces or just in one piece, so you can bite it while holding it by the tail.
Lekker man, dying to visit the country

Pulpo a Feira

That is a love or hate dish. Delicious but not everyone in the world considers octopus a delicacy (until they try 😎)

ee1ab509.jpg

Just boiled octupus, slice, add salt, best olive oil you can find and that red slightly hot pepper powder. Serve on sliced boiled potatoes and you are good.
Only trick is the right type of octopus and knowing the trick so it is really tender and not a piece of rubber only good to play bouncing it into the ground 🤣

Usually Meat Church Holy Cow and Holy Gospel.
Thank you! I’m always on the lookout for GOOD rubs for brisket, pork shoulder and bb ribs. I’m waiting on two from Kent Rollins. I know meat church from YouTube, so I’ll definitely look at those you mentioned. It would be nice to find a good one for burgers (besides Montreal Steak seasoning.) 🤣

Back