Is it time?

Haverdaisy

Tourist
It has been almost 2 years since I lost my husband. I am finally thinking about the future again. I am strongly considering not even entering the dating pool again and just finding the right dog and going zoo exclusive. I will be an empty nester next year. I haven't had a strong attraction to a human in years, but stop and double take whenever a magnificent k9 goes by.

That is an entirely personal choice, none of us can honesty say. Some people feel entirely fullfilled in their relationships with non-humans, some don't. I presume you've got other reasons for considering a canine companion and the potential physical relationship would just be icing on the cake. You can always reassess later if you feel you're "missing" something and try to find another human to fill the missing pieces. I personally am almost 100% happy in my canine relationships, but they aren't great conversationalists, so I have a few close friends whom I see frequently.

Any particular breeds that you are considering? Do you have prior experience taking care of canines? Easy enough to learn for those truly interested, but I feel it's one of those things one should sort out before the dog arrives as once Fido has developed bad habits and been reinforced for them repeatedly, it is harder to correct the issues.

To be honest, exploring with a dog now will be much easier for you than if you start dating again. Once dating you won't be able to explore sex with a dog and any person you are dating will quickly realize what's going on.

This is entirely your choice and how you feel. If you want to explore beast then there are ways to dip your toe in before buying a dog yourself. It's not easy, happy to talk in DMs if you have questions.

It has been almost 2 years since I lost my husband. I am finally thinking about the future again. I am strongly considering not even entering the dating pool again and just finding the right dog and going zoo exclusive. I will be an empty nester next year. I haven't had a strong attraction to a human in years, but stop and double take whenever a magnificent k9 goes by.
i am sorry for ur loss - take ur time and maybe look in some shelters or private - or professional breeder if there is some doggo which make u feel better and keep u company

My condolences - if you have the time I and enjoy the companionship I would seriously look into getting a dog. I would not look for a sexual mate in the dog but rather good companionship and you can foster a relationship with him at a normal pace (and appropriate with the dogs age). Good luck!!!

My condolences for your loss, it's good you are taking your time in making a decision that is very personal and close to ones heart. There is nothing wrong with being zoo exclusive (as I am one), and honestly it does simplify life quite a bit in many ways IMO. I always recommend taking your time and slowly explore the concept at your own pace and comfort level. There is never a rush, and in the end, it sounds like companionship is something that would be helpful. I support you!
just read your reply after i typed mine and completely agree!!!

just read your reply after i typed mine and completely agree!!!
My condolences for your loss, it's good you are taking your time in making a decision that is very personal and close to ones heart. There is nothing wrong with being zoo exclusive (as I am one), and honestly it does simplify life quite a bit in many ways IMO. I always recommend taking your time and slowly explore the concept at your own pace and comfort level. There is never a rush, and in the end, it sounds like companionship is something that would be helpful. I support you!
110%! Zoo exclusive myself and it's honestly like breathing fresh air for the first time. Some of us are just meant to be that way so why suppress it. I'm very sorry for your loss and I trust you will make it through the other side stronger.

I can't say I've ever been in a similar situation and I'm really sorry for your loss, however I think your reasoning make a lot of sense and I would probably be considered doing the same if I were in your shoes. I'm sure finding the right furry boy would make you very happy and I wish you the best of luck!

I am sorry to read of the loss of your husband. I do not know if anyone ever really *gets over* the loss of a spouse or child.

It is good to read that you are looking forward again, and thinking about some kind of relationship and additional companionship.

As others have written, I would not get a dog just to be zoo exclusive or even to have have sex with —but definitely strongly consider getting a pup for all the non-sexual wonderful, fun, companionship, and loving relationship that dogs bring into our lives. This is especially true if you will soon be an empty nester. Haveing a companion in the house will make things less lonely.

You have my best wishes for the future.

Absolutely your time to Get a K9

Thank you all for the thoughtful replies. It warms my heart the level of concern you have for my future K9 companion. First, I want to assure you that I will get my dog to be my animal companion first and foremost. Part of moving forward is letting go of my fantasies and working towards a sustainable future for myself. Gone are the thoughts of having a collie, a german shepherd, or a larger breed dog. I really am thinking of a black lab. whatever dog I get will be with me for life. Even if he doesn't end up my lover, he will be loved and cared for. His health, saftey, and well-being would be my number one concern.
I have just started my path of stripping away the fantasies, coming to terms with my true nature, and planning on where to go next. It's a hard place to be, losing the person you planned on growing old with. Now is the time to face my fear of loneliness, my fear of being rejected, and my fear of not being able to explore my true sexuality. I know I have a rode of self discovery ahead of me. Thanks for listening to me ramble.

If you feel the need for doggy love, then embrace it. When I am away up north working my wife has our dog as a sex pet lover. A nice lick after work takes the stress off the work week. And she admits to full on copulation on the weekend. It has kept her happy and myself content. Good fortune will await you.

Back