Is it okay to have sex with a working dog?

Babiebunnie

Lurker
I know TECHNICALLY it’s okay, but would it mess with their training? So in example, if I’m having sex with a dog that’s used for therapy work, sport dog work, or service dog work, when they’re off duty would said dog be able to focus on its job and not be distracted by wanting to have sex ?¿
I’m super paranoid and probably sound stupid but. I’m getting a male dog that’ll be used for Service work, and will be a sport dog and I just want to make sure that if I choose to have sex with him in the future, that he’ll be able to do his jobs properly.

This is usually not a problem. I have, in principle, sufficient experience in this matter.
However, it should be borne in mind that it all depends on the specifics of the case. From specific tasks for which the dog is used, from the dog itself. From the breed, physical and psychological state of the dog. From the stress on the dog, and the intensity of the training.
All this should ideally be corrected by the instructor working with the dog. If you do this without notifying the instructor, in theory there may be nuances with certain types of work.
But in practice this is still rarely obtained.
However, one cannot answer this question unambiguously.

I don't think this should be a problem.
My dogs also are able to live their lifes and do their tasks without constantly wanting to fuck.
Normally this shouldn't mess with the training of a dog. If it does, either the training is not good or the dog does not fit for the work he's supposed to do.

My observation is that regular (as in on a schedule he can have confidence in) sex improves the performance of a working horse. I assuming that it removes a significant distraction from his life.

My observation is that regular (as in on a schedule he can have confidence in) sex improves the performance of a working horse. I assuming that it removes a significant distraction from his life.
The statement is generally true for dogs of both genders, according to observations. But there are nuances associated with the features of the work. For example, in bitches, during training with a high load, estrus as such in the reproductive cycle may be absent. If a bitch in this training cycle is inclined to have sex, this will be only additional stress. But this is an example of an exception.

I guess it depends how the dog is trained, and what exactly the dog is trained to do. Sometimes the dog will behave like a service animal only when the vest is on them. When the vest comes off the dog knows that they can behave like a normal dog again. But this isn't always the case, i.e. if the dog is trained to help you while you're terminally Ill, is there to detect blood sugar drops/spikes, or to detect seizures. Then the animal is is trained to be alert at all times. For the last two jobs mentioned in my previous sentence, their training shouldn't be effected. This is because again, they are trained to alert you at all times, no matter what. I'm sure that would also include sexy time as well.

As for a dog in training, it shouldn't be effected as long as the dog knows when it's time to do their job, and when it's time to just be a normal dog. Going back to the service dog vest training. Also, dogs pick up signals when it's time to have sex as well. Sometimes my dog will ask me to fuck her, but it's only when she can smell that I'm horny. Usually, taking off all my clothes in front of her is her signal. She get very excited when I do. Before I got her, she was going to be a therapy dog at one point, but her training fell through due to the person needing her no longer being able to have her. My girl has never asked a stranger/friend for sex either, she just behaves like a normal dog.

Last edited:
As an example, we do not use a vest. Absolutely. You stated the point correctly, but the use of a vest is an attribute characteristic of a certain part of countries. In other places, the attributes may be different. =)
Huh, interesting, I didn't know that about other countries. The reason I stated that, is because I know a service dog trainer, and that's how he trains his dogs. Vest on = work / vest off = play.

Huh, interesting, I didn't know that about other countries. The reason I stated that, is because I know a service dog trainer, and that's how he trains his dogs. Vest on = work / vest off = play.
I understood your point. You have formulated everything correctly, such a method of work takes place. Just attributes can be different. This method is both positive and negative. Using a similar (not identical) training technique, dogs were trained in the USSR, the 1950s, and any soldier with an automatic rifle played the leading role in the pair. A soldier could be different every day. But the effectiveness of dogs in such ligaments was extremely low, and the methodology was abandoned. =)

it depends on if he is trained well then he would learn to identify the situations.
he would now how to regulate and know that in certain situations it would be sex time and in other time it would be work time and if he would be trained to "heel" meaning to stand by it's owner until new order would be given then he would probably wont try to smell and pick other females in public.

Dogs are very good at discerning work from home and anything in-between.

Example: I have an imaginary belgian shepherd dog now. At home, I don't allow for any more activity than biting squeaky toys, eating at frozen peanut butter from a Kong toy, chilling and sex. When we're outside, I will only allow fetch, walkies, running off the leash in forest, going to dog park
BUT!! on the training day! I say: "YO! TRAINING DAY!" and the dog is like FUCK YES TRAINING DAY and we go to train for [insert your sport here] and that is it, it's the place they only concentrate on training and.. dogs are very good at keeping things apart like this.

Any dog I think, would be able to separate home-life from outside-life, walkies and training and work.

Whenever I keep dogs, it's absolutely verboten to play inside so all my dogs do is chill, eat, have sex and do some minor brain-work like food puzzles or Kong stuff. Home is sacred and calm place. This is only possible of course because I take my dogs out 4 times a day and spend hours per day playing outside and getting their energy out, so that the inside of a house or an apartment will be Chill Zone.

I've had a very competitive sports dogs, and honestly.. having sex with people will not "mess up" a dog in any way. They will understand the situation and act accordingly.

that sort of working dog no, it could screw with their behavior.

Working Dog can also mean livestock guardian dogs however, and in that case, absolutely its acceptable, and will not affect their performance negatively in any way

I believe it's fine. As long as you have some kind of 'ritual' eg taking his collar off or only having sex in one room etc, as long as he knows when and where sex is appropriate it shouldn't be a problem for the dog's job.

One of my mates was a working shepherd.

This is usually not a problem. I have, in principle, sufficient experience in this matter.
However, it should be borne in mind that it all depends on the specifics of the case. From specific tasks for which the dog is used, from the dog itself. From the breed, physical and psychological state of the dog. From the stress on the dog, and the intensity of the training.
All this should ideally be corrected by the instructor working with the dog. If you do this without notifying the instructor, in theory there may be nuances with certain types of work.
But in practice this is still rarely obtained.
However, one cannot answer this question unambiguously.
Which is about as ambiguous an answer to a question you'll ever get.
For the OP: If you intend the dog to be service, whats more important? Service or sex? I think you should consider letting his training be completed before you ask him for more. It may complicate your life, but it will simplify his. You may never get him interested. His service will still be possible. What are you asking of him?

Back