Is it normal for people to move off this site for conversations?

D

Drippingslut

Hi everyone, I'm very new to this site and zoo in general and was just wondering some things. I hope it's okay to post this here, I wasn't exactly sure where to post it!

I posted a comment recently about looking for someone to meet up with. How normal is it that the person you're talking to tries to move the conversation off the site almost immediately? It just feels unsafe to me. Is that the norm here, or what? Maybe I have Irish luck or something.

If there's something I missed about this somewhere that's already on the forums I'm sorry! Forums have always been a bit difficult for me. Any links about safety here would be very welcomed.

I don't know of any reason to move the conversation off site unless they wanted to go to a chat room where they could converse back and forth more quickly than what PM ing here would allow. I would think that you are safe as long as you don't give out any personal information and that includes an email address. If you don't feel safe in doing that and want to talk to this person then insist on PMing here on this site.

Here's one post. I'll find the other. And remember to trust your gut feelings! And if something seems odd don't go through with it!

Here's the other one. Stay safe out there!

Southflorida´s Security Advice and Tips (Communication/Pre-Meeting/Meeting)

Last edited:
No, it is not normal. One of the primary purposes of this site is to provide a layer of security between you and strangers. If they want real time chat, look in the header. What you lose when you go to chat apps, especially those on a phone, is protection of your IP/ID. Doing so is a trust earned with time and consistency. Insisting on immediate complete trust is a sign of deception. Your gut is probably right.

You definitely need to stay on the forum's messaging system to arrange in-person meetings, at least until you have had time to check the person out.

Staying on the website has a few advantages. It doesn't require trusting another service (you already trust this site somewhat just by being here, depending on how you connect). It also doesn't give the other person any extra information about you, if they turn out to be an enemy. All they have is your username and whatever you have posted on this forum, unless the website gets compromised, and hacking zooville isn't likely to give them much more than the IP you connected from, and maybe your account password if the website doesn't follow industry best practices like storing only password hashes, using salt, or password strengthening. Having a unique username just for zooville, using the Tor Browser, and being careful not to overshare your personal life really limits an attacker's options if you haven't contacted them anywhere else.

Telegram, Signal, What'sapp, and some others all use your phone number to register. This can be very dangerous because people carry their smartphones with them everywhere, and they're designed for convenience, not security. Your whole life is in that thing. Once someone has your phone number, it's pretty easy to buy carrier data including your physical location history. It is really hard to setup these apps to use safely.

ZooTT s01e05 "The Safety Dance" covers a few of the basics for meeting people. Listen here: https://zoo.wtf/s1e5-5-the-safety-dance/

?

I have seen this repeatedly with others. To me this is a red flag that they are either fake users or not up for a real life connection, which both are a waste of my time.

I've heard of wire, telegram, kik, and a whole bunch more weird offbeat platforms I've never heard of.

The way I see it is there's nothing wrong with private chat here on the site, and if someone's trying to lure you they are fake or not serious about anything. There's nothing wrong with this site as a chat platform, and there's no reason to be pushed by others to a dozen different platforms you e never heard of. He'll give me your cell number and a phone call if you don't want to chit chat here, don't be a scaredy cat.

For the sake of my personal safety i prefer to stay and talk here. Really interested in conversation person would respect your position.
Anyone else would just dissappear.

You definitely need to stay on the forum's messaging system to arrange in-person meetings, at least until you have had time to check the person out.

Staying on the website has a few advantages. It doesn't require trusting another service (you already trust this site somewhat just by being here, depending on how you connect). It also doesn't give the other person any extra information about you, if they turn out to be an enemy. All they have is your username and whatever you have posted on this forum, unless the website gets compromised, and hacking zooville isn't likely to give them much more than the IP you connected from, and maybe your account password if the website doesn't follow industry best practices like storing only password hashes, using salt, or password strengthening. Having a unique username just for zooville, using the Tor Browser, and being careful not to overshare your personal life really limits an attacker's options if you haven't contacted them anywhere else.

Telegram, Signal, What'sapp, and some others all use your phone number to register. This can be very dangerous because people carry their smartphones with them everywhere, and they're designed for convenience, not security. Your whole life is in that thing. Once someone has your phone number, it's pretty easy to buy carrier data including your physical location history. It is really hard to setup these apps to use safely.

ZooTT s01e05 "The Safety Dance" covers a few of the basics for meeting people. Listen here: https://zoo.wtf/s1e5-5-the-safety-dance/

?
I agree - stay on this platform. Unless you are feeling so safe that iMessage (+/- video) or something like this can be used.
In my country it is generally adviced not to switch platform, because this is often used by criminals to trick you, to get your ID, or your bank access codes.

I’d first get to know the person VERY well before giving them my social media. If someone is asking for personal information right away just be careful.

It's not a good idea to communicate off site and to even give out personal information or details, and even if the person sounds legit, you just keep it formal and not give out to much details of locations. Someone asking continuously questions like how many times you and your animal is having sex, you bail out fast! And don't be used either, chatting online and meeting face to face ( at a public place and your vehicle parked hidden far from your designated meeting place) is two different things. Trust your gut instincts.

Back