Is it cruel to have a dog in an apartment?

Mazikeen_x

Tourist
looking at getting a female husky/english bulldog mix, I'm hoping to get a house soon but I'm not quite there yet, would it be ok to just take her on walks often or is it simply too little space?

also what are the chances she would get along well with my cat? is 8mo too late to be introducing a dog to other animals?

Hey mate, it's not cruel to keep your dog in an apartment so long as they have somewhere they can regularly (5/6 times a day) go out to do their business and play. Particularly if you're getting a puppy keep in mind that they're going to be EXTREMELY playful and destructive so if you haven't got the space or time to take them to get rid of some energy then I'd rather say don't do it. I, myself stay in an apartment complex and my pup is more than happy. Luckily my complex has a big garden I can take her out to play in and do her stuff in. She's one of around five other dog's in the complex. Also huskies are infamously high-energy dogs. So don't expect to be able to leave him/her at home alone and not have literally all your furniture shredded. They're also escape artists.

It depends on your cat whether or not they would get along or not. But if you spend enough time with them letting them get to know eachother it could be fine.

Also it's worth noting I take my pup absolutely everywhere with me so she's only at home when I'm at home. She goes to work with me, to the shops with me, etc. Occasionally she has to wait in the car but we're never seperated for more than 20 minutes and she's literally never at home alone.

Also it's worth noting I take my pup absolutely everywhere with me so she's only at home when I'm at home. She goes to work with me, to the shops with me, etc. Occasionally she has to wait in the car but we're never seperated for more than 20 minutes and she's literally never at home alone.
I don't think I would be able to take her to work with me consistently so her being home alone is one of my biggest concerns, I'm not too concerned about my furniture, more about her happiness and need to go outside.. can they go 8hrs without needing to?

I don't think I would be able to take her to work with me consistently so her being home alone is one of my biggest concerns, I'm not too concerned about my furniture, more about her happiness and need to go outside.. can they go 8hrs without needing to?
Damn, I wouldn't think so. Her happiness is going to revolve around you and having fun stuff to do so you need to make sure she's engaged pretty much 24/7 until she's over a year old.

I don't think they will be able to hold themselves for 8 hours. If you're really determined to get this pup then maybe try see if you can find someone to babysit her while you're at work.

Damn, I wouldn't think so. Her happiness is going to revolve around you and having fun stuff to do so you need to make sure she's engaged pretty much 24/7 until she's over a year old.

I don't think they will be able to hold themselves for 8 hours. If you're really determined to get this pup then maybe try see if you can find someone to babysit her while you're at work.
my cat is still pretty young so I'm sure they'll keep each other entertained as long as they get along

as far as the other issue I do wonder if she could be trained to use a litter box, I'm not desperate to get her but I do think it would be good for me, kind of as a way to force myself to go out more and get some exercise

my cat is still pretty young so I'm sure they'll keep each other entertained as long as they get along

as far as the other issue I do wonder if she could be trained to use a litter box, I'm not desperate to get her but I do think it would be good for me, kind of as a way to force myself to go out more and get some exercise
Dogs are the absolute best therapy but you must always do what's best for the animal.

Best case scenario they will entertain eachother and you can use puppy pads to sort any bathroom needs. But worst case scenario you get home to a house full of dog poo, shredded furniture and a dead cat😬

I think maybe try to figure out a way that she has a human with her 24/7. You can't leave her with your parents maybe during the week? Dogs are the most amazing partners and care for us in ways humans could never but don't rush, rather wait until circumstances are better. It's even very difficult for me to care for my pup and keep her occupied with her being with me 24/7. You've really gotta be ready to put aside all your other hobbies and spare time otherwise it will become a nightmare for you both.

sounds like the move is to wait then, I had a feeling that was going to be the answer but figured I'd get some input before I turned the offer down

thank you :)

Dogs are the absolute best therapy but you must always do what's best for the animal.

Best case scenario they will entertain eachother and you can use puppy pads to sort any bathroom needs. But worst case scenario you get home to a house full of dog poo, shredded furniture and a dead cat😬

I think maybe try to figure out a way that she has a human with her 24/7. You can't leave her with your parents maybe during the week? Dogs are the most amazing partners and care for us in ways humans could never but don't rush, rather wait until circumstances are better. It's even very difficult for me to care for my pup and keep her occupied with her being with me 24/7. You've really gotta be ready to put aside all your other hobbies and spare time otherwise it will become a nightmare for you both.
good point

You have to ask yourself, how would I like to be cooped up in a tiny space all day and not have the freedom you need? You also have to ask how is this going to impact the neighbors? My brother lives in an apartment and he has some rather noisy, neighbors that make racket all hours of the night and day and it drives my brother bananas. A puppy or dog in an apartment is simply a bad idea. Just ask anyone who has their own home how bad it can be even in that kind of setting. As to the breed it also matters. Best to just wait.

I've had dogs in apartments, I've done larger 3br ones and ittty-bitty studio apartments. I don't think the size of the apartment matters much, you can have 100 rooms, but the dog is almost certain to sleep on your bed, a couch, or the like 99% of the time if there's nobody else home.

I've have lived with a dane in a place as small as about 14m2 (about 150sqft), the place doesn't need much space so long as you spend a decent amount of time out walking and otherwise getting the necessary exercise. A nice park, especially one if they can play off leash can make things easier.

I have had housemates many times over the years and it can be handy when your schedules aren't quite the same so the dog(s) has company when their human friend is at work.

On the flipside, you can have an enormous house with a giant yard, but if the dog is left alone most of the time that isn't a good life for them. If you can provide all of the dogs needs and provide a stimulating environment there's nothing wrong with living in apartments.

I had a young border collie in a studio apartment, and he stayed alone for 10hrs while I was working, and never destroy anything or did his business inside. Of course I took him out 4 times per day, one was a long 5-7km walk and another one was to going to an empty field and throwing him a ball 100 times. :gsd_laughing: . And left plenty of toys and sticks to play with. But probably not all dogs are like him.

My previous dog grow up on an apartment, but I since I was still studying and living with my parents, she wasn't too much time alone until she got older.

But I agree that having a puppy in an apartment alone is not a good idea. Can't you adopt a grown up dog? That way you can test a few days how they behave and if you two get along, before making the adoption permanent. What I did was offer myself as a transit for a week, then a month, and then I kept him. Though I received him from another person, since shelters prefers people that forgot the dog in closed 10m² garden than giving them to somebody living in a apartment but that will walk them several times a day...

I forgot about the cat....
I have had good luck introducing dogs and cats and having them get along, but it is an individual thing. If the dog has a high prey drive and hasn't been socialized around smaller animals, it might not work or take significant effort.
I introduce dogs and cats by having the dog on a leash and working the dog on training routines while the cat gets comfortable. Since the cat will likely be a huge dstraction for the dog, I start with just trying to maintain attention on me rather than the cat. High value treats and calm praise to keep the dog focused and as relaxed as possible then just allow the cat the time it needs to come out and see. Wearing the dog out beforehand would be a good idea. The more relaxed the dog is the faster things tend to go and it is important to be mentally relaxed yourself; if you're anxious and excited, the dog and cat will be too.

A rule of thumb is that a dog can typically got about 1 hour for each month old they are but more than 8 hours might be asking for trouble. I have had rare incidents where I was away from home longer than expected and my dogs have been exceptionally reliable, but it is unfair to expect them to hold out. If the expectation is 8 hours a day from the start, I would pick the dog up at the beginning of the weekend and if you have any vacation time, it might be a good time to use some so you have as many days as possible to get them used to the new home before you're gone for a long time; it will be a new place to them and they won't know your schedule or what to expect. I would start by giving them some high value treat that they have to work on, like a Kong toy filled with peanut butter which has been in the freezer, then leaving for just a second, out the door and right back. If they keep focused on the treat, I would repeat ging out and in, each time staying out just a bit longer. You want to associate you going out the door as a good thing and establish that you'll be back. Keep repeating it over and over, constantly increasing the time. If you reach a point where the dog seems upset/anticipating your departure, reduce the time you are gone to a point where they aren't upset and start working slowly to increase it through repetition.

8 hours for an 8 month old might be asking too much, especially right from the start. I would check with family and friends, see if someone can stop by and take them out in the middle of the day or perhaps see if there's a dog walking service in the area.

It is in the realm of possible, but unless you have significant skill and experience in behavior shaping, very unlikely to go well.

sounds like the move is to wait then, I had a feeling that was going to be the answer but figured I'd get some input before I turned the offer down

thank you :)

At least now you have a better idea and can prepare for a time when you can take care of a canine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back