Intact lab not humping

Fatmanpride

Tourist
I have a 1 year old lab pup that has never humped a day in his life. I find is a little odd since every other dog I've had in my life has humped from a very young age.

I know this pup isn't a normal dog per say since he has a grain allergy and I've never experienced that with past k9s. BTW he still squats when peeing..

Any tips would be helpful. Especially his health and wellbeing. Just wanted to make sure nothing is wrong and that he could be a late bloomer.

I have a 1 year old lab pup that has never humped a day in his life. I find is a little odd since every other dog I've had in my life has humped from a very young age.

I know this pup isn't a normal dog per say since he has a grain allergy and I've never experienced that with past k9s. BTW he still squats when peeing..

Any tips would be helpful. Especially his health and wellbeing. Just wanted to make sure nothing is wrong and that he could be a late bloomer.
"1 year" is a bit early to be doing the "OMG! Something might be wrong with him!" thing. A year is reasonably normal to start thinking he might be "getting the urge", but it's by no means anything but a general guideline. The fact that he's still squatting to pee is a dead giveaway that he's just plain not ready yet. Give him a while. When he starts lifting a leg to piss, he's at least approaching "ready". Until then.... <shrug> He's not. What else can be said?

1 year is way too young for that, you need to wait like 3 years minimum before even considering that stuff

The bigger the breed the slower they mature with some exceptions ofcourse. Never rush into it as the dog can get stressed and think of it as a bad thing or a must. Take your time getting to know your dogs personality and play with him alot since labs are active dogs and like to run around doing silly things like play fetch or roll around in the grass etc.

Then if and when the time comes you can go ahead and try to invite him for mounting etc. But do NOT force him.. if he is interested he will try to mount/hump.. but if he doesn't ti is what it is :)

Not lifting his leg is a sign of sexual immaturity. Let him mature a bit more. I don’t agree with waiting til he’s 2 or 3 years old. That’s dumb. Most dogs start showing songs of sexual urges/sec drive around the 1 year mark. Some earlier, some younger. I’m know of one dog(not mine) that started MUCH younger. I always say wait til at least a year. After that, let him tell you. If he’s ready and willing, let him. If he isn’t, give him time.

Back