Infections?

As a vet, I get this question quite a bit!

The chances of you getting infection from your dog are quite slim. As long as he is getting regular check ups then you will be fine :)

Stray dogs have a higher chance of giving you an infection. If you are still worried then here are some things you can do to clean his mouth.

- Get a brush and gently clean his teeth and gums
- Have him drink some water
- Regular dental sticks (They are cheap!)

- Simply take a shower after you are done playing with him.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Have fun!
Thanks doc ?

Brushing every day is a good idea
I would venture to say that there really isn’t ... =)
We did some work on a similar problem. In general, cleaning by a veterinarian several times a year is sufficient. And even this procedure does not aim to reduce bacterial abundance. The microbiota inside a healthy organism is a feedback system, and is balanced independently.
The main criterion is the optimal clinical condition of the animal, and, alas, the reaction of your immune system to the microbiota of the animal. In the vast majority of cases, nothing terrible happens. Everything in this world lives and develops surrounded by microbiota. If negative reactions do occur, no daily cleaning of all cavities will bring results.
Many widely advertised dog brushing methods are marketing tricks in my opinion. No, they usually do no harm to the animal, and they even clean something, to a very insignificant degree. But essentially they are empty work. And in no way significantly affect the concentration and composition of microbits.
Unpleasant / not typical odors from the dog’s oral cavity, more often speaks of deeper disturbances in the functioning of the body than the fact that you need to clean the oral cavity.
It is worth noting the truth that not everyone likes the normal smell from a dog’s oral cavity. But no purifications of the smell of violets you will not get.

I would venture to say that there really isn’t ... =)
We did some work on a similar problem. In general, cleaning by a veterinarian several times a year is sufficient. And even this procedure does not aim to reduce bacterial abundance. The microbiota inside a healthy organism is a feedback system, and is balanced independently.
The main criterion is the optimal clinical condition of the animal, and, alas, the reaction of your immune system to the microbiota of the animal. In the vast majority of cases, nothing terrible happens. Everything in this world lives and develops surrounded by microbiota. If negative reactions do occur, no daily cleaning of all cavities will bring results.
Many widely advertised dog brushing methods are marketing tricks in my opinion. No, they usually do no harm to the animal, and they even clean something, to a very insignificant degree. But essentially they are empty work. And in no way significantly affect the concentration and composition of microbits.
Unpleasant / not typical odors from the dog’s oral cavity, more often speaks of deeper disturbances in the functioning of the body than the fact that you need to clean the oral cavity.
It is worth noting the truth that not everyone likes the normal smell from a dog’s oral cavity. But no purifications of the smell of violets you will not get.
Even though the brushing may not help to prevent your contact with the bacteria, I still think it is a good idea.
Veterinary cleaning is usually done under anesthesia which unnecessarily puts stress on the organism and the dog and can even be significantly dangerous for older dogs. The brushing should to some extent help with dental calculus prevention and it is less stressful for the dog than vet visits.
I do not think the dental sticks actually have any effect than short time fresh breath. But I may be wrong.

Well...
Consider that I am a little spoiled in this regard. =)
If you have one, your favorite dog, and the process gives you pleasure, well, ok, maybe this is not an empty job, but a low-efficiency job. =)
The practical meaning is not very great in any case. I practically do not remember dogs that did not tolerate propofol in practice. No, they are of course, but ... =)

This is why this site is so important, we get to share important information like this to protect our health. Nice.

I knew a girl who could get a UTI from just looking at things wrong, she had to be really careful about things.
I learned from her there's female condoms, too. I've always wondered if they would be good to use with dogs, since putting a regular condom on a dog is near impossible. I'd imagine if one would have a great risk for UTI a friend to help the dog mount + female condom could help..?

Back