I need lube for my female dog?

OB lube (obstetrical) is what you'll find in most vet clinics as the all-purpose go-to salve. But I find it to be too thin, watery, runs everywhere and evaps too quick.

Mineral oil: more viscous, better at staying where you put it. Colorless, odorless, flavorless, safe, edible in fact -- its sold as a laxative. Cheap and available at every corner drugstore, OTC. Heck most of them even have generic brands for it. No shipping, no waiting, refillable same-day and no awkward vibes at a sex shop checkout (unless they think you're constipated, lol).

How am I supposed to explain to my vet why I need so much lube? Using water based sex lube forma a sex shop at the moment and burning through it really quickly as it comes in these silly little bottles. Couldn't I get a larger amount somewhere? I'm thinking like a litre or 500ml.

Use Coconut Oil, it's a great lube and is cheaper than anything else. A half gallon container is only about $12 at Sam's or Costco

Use Coconut Oil, it's a great lube and is cheaper than anything else. A half gallon container is only about $12 at Sam's or Costco
Pretty sure this can be somewhat controversial. I never used it besides when feeding it at one point. But for dogs in general, it needs to be refined coconut oil. Not just any random thing you find. But the general tip is it needs to be water based lube.

How am I supposed to explain to my vet why I need so much lube? Using water based sex lube forma a sex shop at the moment and burning through it really quickly as it comes in these silly little bottles. Couldn't I get a larger amount somewhere? I'm thinking like a litre or 500ml.
Screenshot_20230924_223615_Amazon Shopping.jpg
208197 ml should cover you for a while.

Avoid anything that uses a type of sugar like J-lube those can cause them to get infections, that aside there are plenty of good ones available.
The standard water based KY always worked well for me

These are the ones I recommend for really any use case dogs and even to just play with toys

K-lube is great stuff sometimes hard to get reasonably but can get it here: https://weredog.co.uk/inventory/k-lube-small/
I have heard great things about this stuff: https://ffausten.com/products/the-lube

This stuff may need a bit more research to ensure its safe with animals but WONDERFUL for toying: https://www.forttroff.com/store/product/ff-thick-xl/

I can vouch for Ojeman55's coconut oil idea being perfectly safe, its what I keep my donkey's cock lubed in almost every other day, since we're presently in the throes of his adolescent terrible twos and he stays dropped, bobbing, flaring, and slapping so many times per day, that cock is out of the sheath more than its in. It helps nothing that we live in a hot desert sand climate. Donks aren't known for making as much smegma as a horse would either, so its coconut oil to the rescue out here. Otherwise he gets leathery, then wrinkly, then parchment-papery, then downright scaly quick.

Note that coconut oil does spoil/rancid after awhile; but you can keep a bulk container in the fridge and parcel it out into a smaller (weekly) container at room temp. Just realize whatever you refrigerate will gel up into a semi-solid. You'll have to spoon, cut or chip away at it to get it out. It won't turn rock (ice) hard, just harder, like that adjacent jar of bacon grease you keep in the freezer for making refried beans.

kn0ttyboi's got the right idea with the powdered J- and K- stock if you need high volumes on hand, @ZephyrZoo. You can also buy OB Lube in 1 gallon jugs out of any veterinary supply catalogs; that's how we bought it at the shelters and vet clinics I've worked. Like you, I go thru a lot on my farm too. Particularly when you account for waste, which is unavoidable. Some's always being lost to spillage, eg. trying to get it where it needs to go in the dark, or twistered in odd positions on the bed, or invariably me or them knocking over a container, fumbling in the heat of the moment with this bull or that dog or that boar or this cow, on and on. I've learned to distribute it into a network of smaller dispenser containers stashed in strategic places around here. Disc-top bottles in travel size are perfect for this: the smaller volume means contamination is less a problem, as it can be dumped and the bottle washed out more often without wasting much. These disc tops can be squeezed to apply the perfect amount when poised and ready where its going, and the disc pop-tops are cakewalk-easy to operate one-handed, both for opening, application, and re-closure, because that other hand is always busy ain't it? :sneaky: But yeah, powdered stock if you need higher volumes. You'll always be able to make more from that than buying anything readymade premixed, and I would think the chances of spoilage / shelf life of a powder is indefinite if you keep it dry after the seal's broke (think: silica packs). Same can't be said of the readymixed stuffs. They can get... funky after awhile.

Despite all of that, I still say, the best choice all-around, hands down? Mineral oil. For all the reasons cited above in my first post. The shit just can't be beat. But with it, you can beat anything's meat!

I can vouch for Ojeman55's coconut oil idea being perfectly safe, its what I keep my donkey's cock lubed in almost every other day, since we're presently in the throes of his adolescent terrible twos and he stays dropped, bobbing, flaring, and slapping so many times per day, that cock is out of the sheath more than its in. It helps nothing that we live in a hot desert sand climate. Donks aren't known for making as much smegma as a horse would either, so its coconut oil to the rescue out here. Otherwise he gets leathery, then wrinkly, then parchment-papery, then downright scaly quick.

Note that coconut oil does spoil/rancid after awhile; but you can keep a bulk container in the fridge and parcel it out into a smaller (weekly) container at room temp. Just realize whatever you refrigerate will gel up into a semi-solid. You'll have to spoon, cut or chip away at it to get it out. It won't turn rock (ice) hard, just harder, like that adjacent jar of bacon grease you keep in the freezer for making refried beans.

kn0ttyboi's got the right idea with the powdered J- and K- stock if you need high volumes on hand, @ZephyrZoo. You can also buy OB Lube in 1 gallon jugs out of any veterinary supply catalogs; that's how we bought it at the shelters and vet clinics I've worked. Like you, I go thru a lot on my farm too. Particularly when you account for waste, which is unavoidable. Some's always being lost to spillage, eg. trying to get it where it needs to go in the dark, or twistered in odd positions on the bed, or invariably me or them knocking over a container, fumbling in the heat of the moment with this bull or that dog or that boar or this cow, on and on. I've learned to distribute it into a network of smaller dispenser containers stashed in strategic places around here. Disc-top bottles in travel size are perfect for this: the smaller volume means contamination is less a problem, as it can be dumped and the bottle washed out more often without wasting much. These disc tops can be squeezed to apply the perfect amount when poised and ready where its going, and the disc pop-tops are cakewalk-easy to operate one-handed, both for opening, application, and re-closure, because that other hand is always busy ain't it? :sneaky: But yeah, powdered stock if you need higher volumes. You'll always be able to make more from that than buying anything readymade premixed, and I would think the chances of spoilage / shelf life of a powder is indefinite if you keep it dry after the seal's broke (think: silica packs). Same can't be said of the readymixed stuffs. They can get... funky after awhile.

Despite all of that, I still say, the best choice all-around, hands down? Mineral oil. For all the reasons cited above in my first post. The shit just can't be beat. But with it, you can beat anything's meat!
Thanks! Someone recommended this to me previously but I can't find it on any websites locally. I'll figure something out eventually.

That's a bit overkill🤣🤣 Also how do I explain that expense to my accountant? 😅
Buying in bulk saves money. :LOL: they have a bigger size but at a point we gotta look at the logistics of storing such a big container. Plus with the 55 gallon drum you can still get a hand dispenser attachment for easy access. It just makes sense. Lol
I can hear the action being cycled... :)
He shoulda been minding his own damned business. :LOL:

Buying in bulk saves money. :LOL: they have a bigger size but at a point we gotta look at the logistics of storing such a big container. Plus with the 55 gallon drum you can still get a hand dispenser attachment for easy access. It just makes sense. Lol

He shoulda been minding his own damned business. :LOL:
Absolutely! I'm one that doesn't like going to the shops all the time. I buy all my shit in bulk so lube is no different. My local fun shop has this flavourless, colourless water based lube in 250ml bottles with no added shit in it which is really nice but even then, two or three months and I'm out🤣 I literally need a drum in my garage.

Absolutely! I'm one that doesn't like going to the shops all the time. I buy all my shit in bulk so lube is no different. My local fun shop has this flavourless, colourless water based lube in 250ml bottles with no added shit in it which is really nice but even then, two or three months and I'm out🤣 I literally need a drum in my garage.
Got a guy that makes it locally with no extra weird stuff and it's actually really good stuff.

Also just pitching an idea. People have beer taps in their kitchens right? Beer keg stored in the kitchen cabinet someplace with a dispenser on the counter. Brilliant idea right?
NIGHT STAND LUBE TAP!!! Could fit a couple gallons in your night stand drawer, little handle dispenser facing the bed.............no? :LOL:

Got a guy that makes it locally with no extra weird stuff and it's actually really good stuff.

Also just pitching an idea. People have beer taps in their kitchens right? Beer keg stored in the kitchen cabinet someplace with a dispenser on the counter. Brilliant idea right?
NIGHT STAND LUBE TAP!!! Could fit a couple gallons in your night stand drawer, little handle dispenser facing the bed.............no? :LOL:
You win a Nobel Science Award for that one! I would probably do that, keep a keg in the kitchen cupboard somewhere and leave a pump-handle bottle on the bedside table and just stick a "hand sanitizer" label on it.🤣 I wish we had some plain old, water based surgical lube available here, but that's the downside of living in the back of beyond. There's FUCKALL available🤣

Back