I got a new dog

doggyw

Tourist
Hes a labrador. Everything is going well and all but i am a bit shocked at what happened today. Its only the first day we had him. Hes around a year and a half old. He gets on with us well and is friendly. When he was left alone with me, he was wimpering a bit because the rest of the family was out. I was stroking him. He kept trying to jump up on my and lick my neck but it wasnt like a normal lick, he was trying to sort of pinch my skin between his front teeth like he was nibbling. He was wrapping his front paws around me, my leg my arm whatever he could get hold of and rocking his hips. His little penis kept coming out and he got a bit wet. I kept pushing him down to stop him. Ive never seen this behaviour in a dog before. He is pretty forward thats for sure. Im worried he will do this to others.

Hes not old enough, i dont think. Im not sure. Its not a one off either, hes really trying to get at me.
From what I read a year and a half to two years go time to start. Jest don't use food or treats. As far as humping other you can teach him not to. There is plenty of info in the how to and educate thread.

Well you def won't have any trouble getting him to mount you lol. But yeah, you've gotta make it clear that there's a time and place or he'll be uncontrolable

When he was left alone with me, he was wimpering a bit because the rest of the family was out. I was stroking him. He kept trying to jump up on my and lick my neck but it wasnt like a normal lick, he was trying to sort of pinch my skin between his front teeth like he was nibbling. He was wrapping his front paws around me, my leg my arm whatever he could get hold of and rocking his hips. His little penis kept coming out and he got a bit wet. I kept pushing him down to stop him. Ive never seen this behaviour in a dog before. He is pretty forward thats for sure. Im worried he will do this to others.
Lol I think he likes you a bit more than normal :p

To be serious, all dogs are different but my Lab boy discovered his cock and balls in a sexual way after 12 month old and truly understood what they were for by around 18 months, so he's probably at the right age.

Also congrats and respect for rehoming an adult dog, especially a Lab. Remember that he just moved into a new home and family and everything's a bit too exciting, they say dogs usually take about 6 weeks to settle in so after then he should have calmed down and you can assess. As for humping at inappropriate times, with my boy I considered it the same as jumping up. The easiest way to discourage it is to stand up and gently walk into him with your legs, it tells him that the space is yours and not his. Dogs are smart and he will learn when the time is right (and who) if that's what you want, for example when you get naked or are in the bedroom.

From what I read a year and a half to two years go time to start. Jest don't use food or treats. As far as humping other you can teach him not to. There is plenty of info in the how to and educate thread.
Yea hes not that old yet. Only 15 months.

Well you def won't have any trouble getting him to mount you lol. But yeah, you've gotta make it clear that there's a time and place or he'll be uncontrolable
Hes mounted me many times i have to push him away. Have only had him a few days.

Lol I think he likes you a bit more than normal :p

To be serious, all dogs are different but my Lab boy discovered his cock and balls in a sexual way after 12 month old and truly understood what they were for by around 18 months, so he's probably at the right age.

Also congrats and respect for rehoming an adult dog, especially a Lab. Remember that he just moved into a new home and family and everything's a bit too exciting, they say dogs usually take about 6 weeks to settle in so after then he should have calmed down and you can assess. As for humping at inappropriate times, with my boy I considered it the same as jumping up. The easiest way to discourage it is to stand up and gently walk into him with your legs, it tells him that the space is yours and not his. Dogs are smart and he will learn when the time is right (and who) if that's what you want, for example when you get naked or are in the bedroom.
Good advice there, i will definitely wait at least 6 weeks then. The walking into him idea is good. Ive been treating it the same as jumping up, saying "down" and pushing him gently away. It doesnt stop him though, he is persistent, and tries again and again.

Good advice there, i will definitely wait at least 6 weeks then.
You're getting some great advice from @Labraguy5 . 6 weeks, then asses his behavior and if you feel he's good to go.
The walking into him idea is good. Ive been treating it the same as jumping up, saying "down" and pushing him gently away. It doesnt stop him though, he is persistent, and tries again and again.
In order for this new command to stick in his brain, you must remember to be very consistent 100% of the time without exception. Even when you're tired and kicking back on the sofa or whatever. He has a previous life before you, so you must establish that you are the alpha, the pack leader... not him. Dogs are pack animals and understand hierarchy very well. But you must insist on being the pack leader in your home and any other time you are around him. Pick a command that is clear, like "No". Any command can be good. However, using "down" can seem confusing to the dog if you use this same command for the traditional down position. Like I tell my non-Zoo friends and neighbors, it doesn't matter if you say "Cheeseburger", just as long as you are consistent in the meaning. Dogs don't speak a sophisticated language like humans, so we must teach them what a command means.

Also, and this is very important... Once you decide to have sex with him, only ask for it, or allow it, in one location. Period. All other places are 100% off limits. Again, stand up and walk into him as you give your chosen command. This is exactly what @Labraguy5 has stated and I'm just trying to reinforce what he's already said as it's very good advice.

Also, I would like to recommend that you take measures that'll help him look up to you and respect you. So, if it's possible, you should be the one that feeds him, walks him, and all other training. When you feed him, teach him to wait for your release command before he can start eating. Feed him twice a day instead of leaving food in the bowl all day. There are many "release commands" that you can choose from, for your dog. I'm using the word "Okay" with my female and she's responding to it very well. However, you may want to choose a more unique word instead of such a common word from everyday speech. If you need help with general, non-Zoo, training, I would also recommend "Spirit Dog training". We're not allowed to do the dot com links here but a Google search will bring up their site.

Hope this helps... 🐕

Good advice there, i will definitely wait at least 6 weeks then. The walking into him idea is good. Ive been treating it the same as jumping up, saying "down" and pushing him gently away. It doesnt stop him though, he is persistent, and tries again and again.
If he doesn't stop then keep going until he does stop and moves away from you, that's when he's had that "oh shit, this isn't allowed" moment. Also don't raise your hands or back away as dogs see this as play, just stand up tall and keep your arms down by your side as you walk into him, dogs are good at reading our body language.

Eventually you'll get harmony with him it just takes time, my boy was a very bad lad for the first month and it felt like an age, but we got there in the end.

Thanks for all the advice. We have had him now for nearly 3 weeks. He has consistently tried to hump me every day. Only me. Ive absolutely no idea how he knew id be receptive to it. Perhaps dogs have a sort of dar? Like gaydar but for zoos.

Thanks for all the advice. We have had him now for nearly 3 weeks. He has consistently tried to hump me every day. Only me. Ive absolutely no idea how he knew id be receptive to it. Perhaps dogs have a sort of dar? Like gaydar but for zoos.
As with many animals, dogs are very perceptive of their environment and the people around them. So, it does not surprise me that he saw you as a potential sex partner.

How's the "telling him no" training going? Are you still trying some sort of discouragement to get him to not hump in inappropriate situations? Inexperienced owners will often pet their dog or give them some kind of appeasement to simply get the dog to stop their undesired behavior. Problem is, they're getting positive attention when you do this, thus reinforcing the very behavior that you are trying to stop.

In order for the corrective measures to work, you must be clear with your intention by NOT mixing the signal with a pat to the dog or any other positive interactions with him. If I was the one setting boundaries, I would stand up and say "NO!" very assertively while walking straight into him. And after a couple of times, I'd put him in another room, back yard, or somewhere, separating him from you... giving him a time out to think about things... wait 20 - 30 mins and let him back in, repeating this with longer separation intervals until you get the desired behavior from him.

Hope this helps... 🐕

Back