Hurricane Sally Stories

texasspud66

Citizen of Zooville
BANNED USER
Is there anybody else here who has a hair-raising story resulting from Hurricane Sally?

I'm not sure if survival is the right word as we weren't in any real danger but it was one hell of a harrowing five hours when Sally roared through my area. We were bombarded by 100 mile an hour winds and pelted by rain so hard I thought it was hailing outside. I've lived in this area for most of my entire life and have lived through Hurricanes Frederick & Ivan and this one was much different and even more terrifying. It just seemed as if it was never going to end and all of this was after being inundated with over a foot of rain before the damn thing ever arrived.

My girlfriend was stuck at work at the hospital so it was just me and my two Rottweilers at the house riding the storm out, not to mention the six cows and two dozen chickens I had corralled in the barn out back. The bad stuff started about 1 a.m. and lasted until damn near daylight as I listened the one small tornado after another all around us. About 3 a.m. water started coming through the roof moving us from one room to another just looking for a dry place to stay. Lucky enough I live on high enough land I didn't have to worry about flooding but the entire 35 acres I own was completely underwater.

When the eye of the storm finally moved past us and I was able to go outside, I couldn't believe the amount of destruction Sally had brought with her. While I had not lost the roof on my house, she took every damn single it had and strewn them everywhere. One of the tornadoes did take half of the roof off my barn and twisted one of the metal doors on it as if it was a corkscrew. At last count, I've lost over 35 trees, some just can't be replaced as it takes hundreds of years for a live oak tree to become as big and grand as some of the few I was blessed with.

Luckily all of my animals survived without injury except I can only wonder what they must've been thinking when the roof of the barn tore off. I now have to not only put a new roof on the barn but on my house as well and I also have to practically gut the entire inside of my house and replace all the walls and ceiling. When I built the house I used sheet rock but this time I think I'm going with all hardwood. It's going to be months and months before the people around this area ever see a sense of normalcy but it's not like it's our first rodeo, Ivan & Frederick were just as destructive in their own ways. The most important thing is there wasn't much loss of life and material things can be replaced and life will continue, and with the good Lord's blessing, things will get better soon.

Back